PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some IFS Parts Please!

Boston Mangler
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Guys

A friend of mine at work has a 99 Tacoma "Prerunner". He came on my last Baja trip with me and now wants to build up his truck.

Current State:
-Stock Drivetrain and suspension
-3" Body Lift (washboard roads in baja cracked some welds because of this)
-2wd

The Project:
-Convert to 4x4
-Remove Body Lift
-Install Elocker in the rear
-Install Old Man Emu Suspension

I found a great thread detailing the swap here:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Prerunner_to_4_wheel_drive_conversion

So, now we are in parts collection mode. If anyone has any leads on the following, please let me know via email or PM.

-Front Diff (with mounting and brackets
-Tranny/Tcase Combo
-CV's
-Driveshafts
-Spindles
-Hubs

The e-locker rear will be phase 2, now we just want to do the conversion.

He is a student worker/intern so $ is tight.

Thanks for any info, parts or advice.

Please email me direct at: speicher "at" san.rr.com

ecchamberlin
05-19-2007, 07:02 AM
I am not positive on this but I don't think the elocker 3rd member will bolt up to a non TRD rear housing because the non TRD housing is 8.4" and the TRD is a 8.0".

I know this is your phase 2 of the plan but I think when the time comes it would better to just swap the entire rear axle drum to drum. Then sell his 8.4 rear complete.

In fact finding a donor vehicle that you could take both front and rear housings from would be awesome. That way the gears would match up already as well.

Just some stuff to think about.

oly884
05-19-2007, 11:44 AM
If he's a student intern/worker, then just tell him to sell his truck and buy a 4wd. Being a student = time and an intern = little money

Combine both of those with attempting to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion and you get a mess waiting to happen.

That's just my 2 cents, but have him think it through.

Lee
05-21-2007, 08:22 PM
where are you located?

dragr1
05-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Just sell the Taco and buy my 4Runner and save yourself a lot of headache.