PDA

View Full Version : John Wayne aka (The Duke)

Texas Jim
05-21-2007, 08:10 PM
This up comming weekend is the 100th Birthday celebration for one of Iowa's most famous son's The city of Winterset (where I am from and still live) population of around 5000/ Is getting ready to celebrate the Duke's 100 th Birthday. His son is comming and daughter as they are going to break ground on a five million dollar tourest center, as well as a history center for John Wayne. They are taking the whole city block and dedicating it to it. I was also born on the same block back about 52 years after he was born....lol

Winterset has also been made famous by the movie "Cold Turkey," filmed in the early 70's with Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newheart, Cloris Leachman, Tom Posten, and directed by Norman Lear. It's about a big tobacco company offering a million dollars for a whole town to quit smoking.

Winterset's other claim to fame was in the mid 90's the movie "The Bridges Of Madison County," was filmed here with Clent Eastwood, and Merel Streep, Yes I got to be an extra in that movie.... As Andy Warhol said everyone is entailed to 15 minutes of fame. I am still due 14.5990minutes and seconds of that time.....lol You just see me barely drive by the cafe as Clint character leaves the cafe....... Oh well...lol TJ :clap:

Markduce
05-22-2007, 06:01 AM
The by-pass was sure nice when they put it in. Woot! dont have to waste my time driving threw winterset anymore on my way to the southwest.
:tongueout:

Texas Jim
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
There isn't anything Southwest of Winterset, except Missouri and you know what they say about the last two tiers of counties in Iowa, Give them to Missouri and raise the IQ in both states... :rofl: :lol: TJ

Markduce
05-23-2007, 04:19 AM
I have nothing to say against that, because its true. :tapedshut:

jrallan26
05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I love Winterset. I have a couple of friends that live there. There is a great diner, awesome pulled pork sandwiches.

ecchamberlin
05-24-2007, 07:46 PM
John Wayne is good to go in my book. Only hollywood film about my part of the military.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/918301m.jpg

SeaBees "Can Do!"