PDA

View Full Version : Are these symptoms of a starter or solenoid going bad?

Mojo_Risin
05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
For about the last month I've had an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes I turn the key and the get just a crank or two and it just stops cranking. Try again and it starts right up nice and quick. Or sometimes I get no cranking at all. Try again - get maybe 2 cranks and it stops. But (knock on wood) always ends up starting. I never get the tell-tell clicking noise of a bad started. I replaced the battery to an optima - cleaned the cables, battery connection is tight. One other weird thing is it seems to happen more on HOT days - not when the truck is hot per se but just hot outside.

any insight?

John

GSGALLANT
05-22-2007, 04:40 AM
I'd still put money on starter contacts (or maybe the starter relay). There is an easy test you can do. It isn't really easy to get at, but it's do-able... remove the small control wire going to the starter (It's held on with a clip that locks in place when you push it in, so there's a small tab you have to push in before you pull it out. I used a really long screwdriver to push the tab in while I pulled on the clip with my free hand.)

Put the hot lead from a voltmeter to the wire you just remove, and ground the negative lead from the voltmeter somewhere on the frame or engine (clean rust to ensure you've got a good connection to ground). Have somebody turn and hold the ignition key to "Start" for approx 5 seconds, and verify that you're getting approx 11.5-12.5 volts on your meter. Repeat the test 5 or 6 times to make sure you're getting consistant results.

If you are getting good voltage at the control wire, order up some starter contacts and rebuild that starter. If you're not getting good voltage, start by checking the starter relay (there are a few other switches to check as well, but the relay would be my first guess if you don't have good voltage.)

MTL_4runner
05-22-2007, 05:58 AM
I'd just replace the relay first on principle that it is easy. If the problem ceases, you'll know what it was. If the issue persists, 9 times out of 10 you need to replace the starter contacts (it's alot of manual labor/work to remove the starter and change them out, but the contacts themselves are very cheap.....under $5 total and available from any auto-electric shop).

d0ubledown
05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
yep...most likely the contacts. when i had that problem...i sometimes wouldnt get a crank. just clicks...and on 3rd try it'll fire up. the starter itself was a pain to get out. some got it out no problems..but after numerous attempts, i just ended up removing a PS line and dropping it out. contacts are pretty much re & re. dont forget to bleed the PS if you did have to drop the line...

Mojo_Risin
05-31-2007, 11:34 AM
yeah - I've bought the new contacts just have to to the work and pull the starter and put them in. It's a very intermintent problem so I keep putting it off. Will try to get to it this weekend.

John

Markduce
06-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Mine was doing the same thing. And it ended up being the starter. Its easy to get to and unbolt but thats where easy stops. I also removed my ps line.

The Starter isnt to bad on price from the parts store. And it sure beats the 5-10 min beg and start option i had before. I kinda let mine go to long.

881stGenRunner
06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
changing the starter on a 3.0 is a female dog. i havent messed with a 3.4, but the 3.0 sux. If you do end up replacing the starter, the best quality starter i have recieved thus far is one from Napa. It was also the most expensive

Robinhood4x4
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Unless you do a SAS. Then it's like a 15 minute job. :hillbill:

881stGenRunner
06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Unless you do a SAS. Then it's like a 15 minute job. :hillbill:

we had to pull my brothers recently and he has a 93 3.0 AT and the Bilstein was right in the way. That was a pain int he arse to take off. But after that the starter was really easy to get to.
If you want to talk about easy, change one on a 22R/RE. The can pull it from the engine bay, you dont even have to get int he fender!

Mojo_Risin
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
What's frustrating is it hasn't done it again now since I posted the thread. :headscratch: Wouldn't bad starter contacts be more repetitive of a problem?

John

Robinhood4x4
06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
It's only been two weeks since you first posted this...no it can be very intermittent.

MTL_4runner
06-05-2007, 05:55 AM
It's only been two weeks since you first posted this...no it can be very intermittent.

Yep, random enough to be extremely frustrating is how it's usually described.

Mojo_Risin
06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
well, I jinxed myself- the last 2 days it has been doing it fairly often. Guess I'll be replacing the contacts this weekend.

Any estimate of how long this will take to pull the starter and replace contacts on a 3.4L

John

MTL_4runner
06-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Any estimate of how long this will take to pull the starter and replace contacts on a 3.4L ?

You're looking at a solid 4 hrs to change those and maybe as much as 5-6 for a first time.

GSGALLANT
06-11-2007, 07:55 AM
The job is easier if you have somebody to help you. On the 3.4L, if you have an automatic tranny, you'll have to remove the top part of the tranny dipstick tube to be able to remove the starter. If it hasn't come apart before, on a '97, it could be a real pain to get apart. It took us 45 minutes to separate the one on my friend's Tacoma without damaging it. It took us a total of 3hrs to remove the starter, replace the contacts, and re-install the starter (Including the 45 minutes wasted on the tranny dipstick tube).

If you have a standard tranny, the job is easier.

Mojo_Risin
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah - I did the job on Saturday. It took me about 4 hours. 30 mins of that was replacing contacts and cleaning the plunger once the starter was out. My dipstick tube came apart fairly easily but getting the bracket bolted back up wasted about 20 mins. URGH - it the stupid little things like that that make the time add up. But It's a satisfying feeling knowing I just saved myself over $150 on a new starter and paying a shop to do it.

Thanks all for the input!

John