PDA

View Full Version : anyone find out if 3VZ cranks will fit in 5VZ?

Osiris
05-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I searched on another tech site and found a thread on an engine build up. It seems like it may have died out and was never completed, but I was curious about. Cebby would be very familiar as some others also. Dan_90SR5 was doing the build up. I was thinking about swapping cranks from the 5VZ to the 3VZ to make a stroker, but the stroke of the 3VZ is 90 and the 5VZ is 82. That means I would be going down and that wouldn't be good.

So what about a 3VZ crank in a 5VZ?

Cebby
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I haven't followed that since I started down the UZ path, but I have a 3VZE crank and can take some measurements for you if you'd like. I need to pull it out of the block - it's the last thing in the block though, so no biggie.

Osiris
05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
I appreciate that, but I've got dems on the 3VZ.

mains: 2.5195-2.5197
rod: 2.1648-2.1654

I will have to check the two side by side to see if the mains & rod journals match up. If they're off, then the answer is no.

Then you have to look at what rod will fit the crank rod journal, have the right length and have the right piston diameter for the piston pin.

It will be fun doing the research and finding out the answer to the question - What would a stroker 5VZ do?

Osiris
05-23-2007, 04:24 AM
The info I found earlier that stated the stroke of the 3VZ is 90mm is wrong. I was wondering why I couldn't calculate the displacement with the numbers, but I was able to figure the 5VZ with an 82mm stroke. I figured something was wrong and it was the stroke of the 3VZ was wrong. It too is 82mm. The only difference between the two cranks is the 3VZ is forged and the 5VZ is cast. So if any one is building up their 5VZ, they want to use the 3VZ crank because it will be stronger for a better bottom end.

I want to learn more about the 1MZ motor. I post when I find more about that motor.

Osiris