PDA

View Full Version : 88 4runner Brakes

Chapman88SR5
05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
My brake pedal goes almost all the way to the floor. My pads were gettin a little worn down so i replaced them thinkin that was it. Still the pedal goes all the way down and yes the brakes have been bled. So whats next? Master cylinder?

fustercluck
05-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Tell me exactly what you did when you changed brakes. Were the calipers completely removed? Where was the fluid level? Where is it now? What were the circumstances that caused you to change the pads?

Chapman88SR5
05-23-2007, 09:17 PM
The brake pedal was goin almost to the floor so i knew my pads were old and warn so i thought that was why.

One caliper was taken off because i could not get the pins out. Got the pins out and put the caliper back on.

Fluid was at the fill line before and is now also (after)

Brakes were bled.

fustercluck
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I would suspect the master cylinder if you did not experience any pulling to one side or wandering while braking. If the calipers were shot, they likely would demonstrate on one side or the other first, giving you the above symptoms. You could rebuild your own components pretty inexpensively if you have those skills. Otherwise, you could buy remanufactured parts for replacement (though given recent experience, I'd avoid foreign remanufactured parts...). I've known folks who took chronic brake issues into a shop for repair, but be sitting down when they call you to settle the account...

DeathCougar
06-02-2007, 07:18 PM
did the brake level line move when you were bleeding them? IE did you have to add fluid (you should have had to, and normally its a two man job)