PDA

View Full Version : EUROPE | Attractions and Recommendations

calrockx
05-26-2007, 12:58 AM
So I'm going to Europe this summer, and of course I'm researching the cities I'll be visiting and reading from those who have been there (Thanks Rick Steves), but I'd like to hear from the you guys too on your recommendations. I'll have a few days in each city this July/August.

I already know about most of the obvious things (big museums, ruins, etc), but if you've got a must-see, I'd love to hear it.

London
Amsterdam
Paris
Cinque Terre
Rome

Trumpfan
05-30-2007, 11:29 AM
If you have a day to spare in Italy grab the train and go to Florence. Amazing city.
If your into old cars, bikes etc check out the Ace Cafe in London, way cool if your into (or like) 50-60's hotrod cars and bikes.

SLC Punk
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
You should go to Venice if you haven't been.

I have only been to Rome, Florence and Venice. But if you go to Rome, try to find the smaller out of the tourist areas to eat. The food is better and costs 1/2 as much.

calrockx
05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Venice....not on this trip. That's a couple-y city, so I'll go with a girlfriend on the next trip.

Florence...we're taking the train from Cinque Terre to Rome, so we pass through Florence. It'd be nice to see Academia and the Statue of David....so we'll try for that one.

Good tip on Rome. We're not sure where we're staying yet, but I definiteliy want to see the non-touristy places as well.

fustercluck
05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Coincidentally, I think Mrs. Fuster is colluding with her sister to drag me to Italy this fall...I'd rather send her and buy myself a gun. If'n I want to Europe, I'll look at pictures :hillbill:

calrockx
05-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Nah Fuster, I know you're jokin.

I look forward to this trip, it'll be fun. :)
I took a History of Roman Art class this past semester, so that should help me recognize some thiings a bit better.

91_4x4runner
05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I suggest Munich. I've been there the past 3 summers and had a great time. Very picture-esque place. Also, lots of nice big beerhalls =)

I went to Paris. Waste of time! Crowded, lame place. Compared to the rest of France, it's a completely different country.

Salzburg was great as well. Theres a ton of amazing views there. If you go to Austria, I also suggest you check out Eagles Nest near Berchtesgaden.

That should occupy a bunch of your time.. but if you want more suggestions, let me know.

fustercluck
05-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Nah Fuster, I know you're jokin.

I look forward to this trip, it'll be fun. :)
I took a History of Roman Art class this past semester, so that should help me recognize some thiings a bit better.

I'm kinda joking. I'd love to see Europe. I don't think Europe wants to see me as much though...

http://www.mvps.org/st-software/Movie_Collection/images/2257f.jpg

callmej75
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Visit the coffee shops in Amsterdam

Cheese
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Please consult Jim's picture thread.

Also, blaze one.

Travel safe!