PDA

View Full Version : 89 Pickup 22RE, How do I drop the oil pan!!

SLC Punk
05-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I am finishing up my timing chain guide replacement and I had to take the oil pan off to get the front cover out. I am trying to get the oil pan completely off but I cannot get it out! I have unbolted the front differential and sway bar and that gave me another 3 inches of clearance, but it is still wedged in there. Does anyone have a easier way to get this thing out besides unbolting the front crossmember?

RustBucket
05-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Would dropping the entire third member (front differential) help?

SLC Punk
05-29-2007, 02:34 PM
I have completely unbolted the front differential, however the front of the differential mounts to a crossmember (where the lower A-Arms are attached). The only way I can think of dropping the front differential is by either unbolting the crossmember or by disconnecting the front driveshaft and pulling it back and out.. Either way doesn't sound too fun :(

AxleIke
05-29-2007, 03:54 PM
dropping that crossmember is easy, takes 4 bolts and a mallet and it comes off really easily...

RustBucket
05-30-2007, 04:13 AM
Yes, the third member has 6 bolts on each side to the CVs, two bolts that go straight up into the truck, and one long horizontal one that is on that crossmember.

You can take it off without moving the crossmember.

Find a friend for putting it back in, however, it weighs like 70lbs and is very ungainly.

SLC Punk
05-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys. Is this something that I would need to put the truck on jackstands or can I take that off with the tires on the ground?

Robinhood4x4
05-30-2007, 09:17 PM
You can do it with the truck on the ground.

Check out my for sale thread for a picture of what the diff looks like when removed.
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=220.0

Also check out the FSM online and you'll find a procedure and diagrams for removing it.

SLC Punk
06-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I thought I would give an update. I was able to get the oil pan out by unbolting the idler arm bracket (3 bolts) and unbolting the oil pickup tube.

There was a ton of plastic from the old TC guide!