PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

Trumpfan
05-29-2007, 11:09 PM
My clutch has been acting up lately. I'll press the pedal down and it will depress with no resistance at all (like it's not connected to anything) and get stuck in the fully depressed position. I'll reach down and pull it back out and it will function normally from there on in.

I've checked the linkage and its OK. If this is my Master or slave cyl how do I figure out which is the culprit?--keeping in mind fluid is good and I have no leaks. There is normal resistance on the pedal this has only happened two or three times in the last week and it only happens between gears, not when the trans is still in gear. :headscratch:

fustercluck
05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Sounds like hydraulic failure. I'd replace or rebuild both the master and slave cylinders. This is prolly as easy to fix as doing a full lube and oil service. Git 'er done....

Bob98SR5
05-29-2007, 11:38 PM
and make sure to bleed them, but im sure fuster assumed that too

fustercluck
05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
yup, make 'em bleed....

Trumpfan
05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
My first thoughts too, it puzzles me that this can happen then the clutch works fine again. Kinda throws me for a loop.

When a brake master cylinder fails it just fails and you have no pressure going to your calipers, but I guess this is diferrent. I'll swap'em both out they probably need it after 20 some years....

fustercluck
05-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Well, given the design and component compositon, I can see where the failure could be temporarily erratic. It won't last for long though. It takes me about an hour to R&R both the master and slave cylinders and about .5 hrs to rebuild them IIRC. Snot a big deal if you've done it before...

reggie 00
05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
While we are on the subject....

My 83 does kind of the same thing. You push the clutch in, shift let out, the pedal move but the transmission is still in neutral. Sometimes it will slip back in sometimes it will stay that way no matter what. Makes it kind of hard to make it thru an intersection. I was thinking the clutch was hanging up, i have replace both master and slave before this happened, i wouldn't think they would be causing the problems.

Is good timing on the subject cause i am getting the urge to drag the thing in the garage and start tinkering. Fuster has me inspired.

fustercluck
05-30-2007, 10:42 PM

My 83 does kind of the same thing. You push the clutch in, shift let out, the pedal move but the transmission is still in neutral. Sometimes it will slip back in sometimes it will stay that way no matter what. Makes it kind of hard to make it thru an intersection. I was thinking the clutch was hanging up, i have replace both master and slave before this happened, i wouldn't think they would be causing the problems.

Is good timing on the subject cause i am getting the urge to drag the thing in the garage and start tinkering. Fuster has me inspired.

Hehe. Wait 'til I post the next series of pics and commentary...:D

While I believe our friend Trumpfan has the dreaded hydraulic failure for which there is only complete personal ignominy until a remedy is applied, in your case Reg, I think your truck is just haunted :hillbill:

dlbrunner
05-31-2007, 03:49 PM
make sure you prime the master cyl before attempting to flush and fill.

This caused me a good 20 minutes of heartburn.

double check the return spring on the linkage, make sure it is not binding with any loose wires under the dash

reggie 00
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM

Hehe. Wait 'til I post the next series of pics and commentary...:D

While I believe our friend Trumpfan has the dreaded hydraulic failure for which there is only complete personal ignominy until a remedy is applied, in your case Reg, I think your truck is just haunted :hillbill:

If only you knew.....

If only it would let me tell......

Trumpfan
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Well I changed the master and slave cyl (with rebuilt exchanges) bled it IAW manual blah, blah, blah on the weekend, seems to have fixed my problem until this morning on the way to work.

It did it again!!! I spent part of this morning moving the clutch by hand and rechecking linkages to see if I could get the clutch to stick but it won't. When it fails It feels like the linkage overcentres.

Trumpfan
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Nevermind figured it out--bad reman. mastercyl. No more cheap parts from partsource.

fustercluck
06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I can't emphasize enough how frustrated I am with large chain parts suppliers' sourcing. They sell remanufactured parts which are mass produced and poorly inspected. Philosophically, their perspective is that on a large scale, if they have more customers satisfied than unsatisfied, that is well enough. I prefer to shop where EVERY customer is well served.

DeathCougar
06-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I was gunna say check your pedal too.....those things are prone to cracking.