PDA

View Full Version : installing 99 roof console help

saulgoode
05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey fellas need a little advice,

I'm switching out my rear view mirror console out of my 98 for a console from a 99, I'm getting no power to the map lights. I tried testing the power wire with a voltmeter to make sure it was getting power but I got no voltage, I did this with the truck turned on and off. The sunroof switches work just fine. Any ideas would help out. Thanks.

Ric
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
is there a seperate fuse for them ? if so, is it there ? being yours didnt come with it, maybe it (the fuse) wasnt put in at the factory.

Bob98SR5
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
saul,

did you read my writeup? Its in the tech section or also on my 4runners.org site. there's two people i know who have done this mod, so being the originator, just write me in this thread if you have more questions *after* reading the writeup ;)

bob

97t4rnr
05-31-2007, 10:47 PM
I followed Bob's write up to the letter. No problems what so ever. One of the best mods I did, and the center console mod.

saulgoode
06-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Hey guys, sorry for posting a reply back so late :chair:

I got it figured out and got the lighting and the sunroof switches all hooked up and working. For the mirror, I took the metal piece from the 98 map light and hack-sawed it till I was able to fit it. It holds pretty sturdy and well.

I did print out and use your instructions bob, a big thanks to you for that little tidbit of info. I'll be using your writeup for the center console when I switch that out as well :thumbup:

Here's a shot of it, as well as me taking a pic!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/biglebow06/99RoofCon.jpg

Bob98SR5
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
saul,

so what did you do wrong and how did you correct it?

bob

saulgoode
06-07-2007, 09:41 PM
It was the ground, I didn't have it sanded down to the bare metal. Once i did that along with replacing a fuse, everything worked as it should.

saul,

so what did you do wrong and how did you correct it?

bob

Bob98SR5
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
yeah, before i got wise to that, i had experienced that many times too. hence, i put the sanding down to the bare metal advice in all my writeups (Step 4, last sentence). glad you figured it out :)

saulgoode
06-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, I wouldn't have known how to do the swap much less know that it could be done if I hadn't read those write-ups. Definitely have to commend you on those! :clap:

yeah, before i got wise to that, i had experienced that many times too. hence, i put the sanding down to the bare metal advice in all my writeups (Step 4, last sentence). glad you figured it out :)

Bob98SR5
06-09-2007, 03:43 PM
saul,

these writeups (cupholder and roof console) definitely would've never been written had i not had a 99! i missed those two features when i bought my 98

bob