PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the El Cajon area willing to test drive/evaluate a vehicle for me?

Bob98SR5
05-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey SD peeps,

I am looking at buying an old Mercedes that is located in the El Cajon area. If anyone has time this weekend, I'll pay you $50 for your time to give it a thorough evaluation which should include road testing, engine inspection, interior inspection, etc. I can send a list of things I'd like you to check.

I'll send more details to the person who is willing to do it.

Thanks,
Bob

slosurfer
05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Let me guess, old diesel mercedes to change to bio diesel.

Bob98SR5
05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
chris,

howdya know? :hillbill: oh wait, probably cause i mentioned it in the gas thread :D

ive done a quite a bit of reading and there are differnt ways to go about this. one of the cheaper ways is to convert the diesel tank over to a 100% veggie oil system. then there is biodiesel. then there are systems that have a separate tank that you can switch between regular diesel and veggie oil. i'm mulling this decision, but i'd like to go with the diesel + veggie oil system for maximum range and flexibility

bob

MTL_4runner
05-31-2007, 06:29 PM
i'm mulling this decision, but i'd like to go with the diesel + veggie oil system for maximum range and flexibility

If I were going through the effort, I'd do the same thing (dual tanks). The fexibility aspect is key since the availability of fuels may change. Those old mercedes have great engines but they are total dogs when you need passing power.

Marc P
05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
PM me Bob...I can help

Robinhood4x4
05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Make sure you get one with a turbo. We had an old 300sd and it would take forever to get going from a stop. You'd have to floor it to get moving. Once it's up to speed, though, there was no stopping it. It would pull up hills hard, accelerating all the way.

Bob98SR5
06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Marc,

I sent you a checklist via email. Please check it out and if you have any questions, email me at bob kim @ 4runners.org and NOT at the work email I sent you the list from. Or just PM me. I'll call you later this afternoon

Thanks!
Bob

Steve: I know how these things drive b/c Patty's family had a 300D too. Yeah, it was a slug! As much as I'd like to get the turbo, I am looking for simplicity and good gas mileage. The 190Ds are the best in terms of mileage.

Phalanx
07-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Make sure you get one with a turbo. We had an old 300sd and it would take forever to get going from a stop. You'd have to floor it to get moving. Once it's up to speed, though, there was no stopping it. It would pull up hills hard, accelerating all the way.

Diesel Engine w/o a turbo = Generator