PDA

View Full Version : Toying with the idea of a ToyTec Lift

YotaFun
05-31-2007, 11:30 PM
So, I have been thinking long and hard and I feel it is time to get Tess in the Air.
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Toytec OME 3" Lift 4Runner Coil Kit.
Included in the kit is as follows.

* (2) front lift OME coil springs
* (2) Toytec top plate spacers for full 3" front lift with coil springs
* (6) top plate studs
* (2) 3" lift rear coil springs (2" lift rear coils also available-same price)

On top of getting this kit I was going to get the 1" Differential Drop to try to relieve some stress on the cv's.

I have a few questions for those running this particular kit.
1) If you did the install yourself, how easy was it and how much time would you estimate it took? Anything I should look out for when the install is done, either by me or a professional?
2) Are you happy with the set up ride wise on and off road?
3) Pros and Cons to this particular set up?
4) What size tires would you recommend running with this kit?
5) Have any of you running this kit changed out shocks? If so, do you recommend any particular shock to go with this set up? (I have a feeling that down the road I will need to get new shocks)
6) Did you have to purchase extended brake lines or do the stock ones suffice for the time being? (will be updating lines on down the road, just curious if it was particular for this specific kit.)

I think that pretty much covers the duration of my questions.
Also as for those who are running this set up, if you could please post a picture with your response so I can get a sense of the look.

Thank you much.
Avy

DNAhilux
06-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Well I do not have this kit but I did just swap my suspension so on #1 The job is not bad. It took me and my mechanic 3hrs to do front and rear. Just have a good spring compressor and you should be fine as it is quite self expanatory. Just index everything and your alignment may not even suffer too much. For #5, This always depends on your preference to firm or softer ride.I have OME comforts and they are great. Have you considered a panhard bracket or extended panhard? Though to some this is debatable.

Stevo3
06-01-2007, 06:44 AM
I have the toytec 3'' lift. So that being said, like DNAhilux said Have a GOOD set of spring compressors if you plan on doing it yourself. I would recommend atleast taking the spacers and coils to a shop to do it though, one that has the wall mounted spring compressor. That 3'' spacer really needs to compress the spring a lot just to get it on there. Went to 3 different shops and they didnt have the proper equiptment to compress it down that much, none of those 3 had the wall mounted one. I think it costed me like $40 to have the spacers installed.

1: Nothing really to look out for except making sure you have your struts on the correct sides, otherwise itll lean to one side like mine did :hillbill: untill i re swapped them out.

2: Im happy with the ride just for the fact that my old struts were shot and i was floating down the road. Its Much stiffer now. Off road wise, i dont do hardly and rock crawling, but it takes the stuff pretty well.

3: PROS: Larger tires, more clearance, Better look :D. CONS: Stiff ride, puts a lot of stress on the springs with the spacers.

4: Its pretty much a personal prefference. Im running 285 75R 16's Goodyear MT/R's And would highly recommend not getting anything larger than that. Which those are 33's

5: Stock ones are fine, Your compressing the spring a huge amount so the shocks are in there to hold it together :) I plan on getting some Sway Away Coilovers to get rid of the stiff ride. The spacer lift is just a temporary thing for me.

6: You do not need to extend the brake lines in the front. In the rear it is not necessary unless you do a lot of flexing. I purchaced my rear coils from Downey Offroad, they were the 3 1/2'' coils and they came with the extended brake line and limit straps. FYI: My rear is still a tad lower with the 3 1/2'' coils. So having the 3'' in the rear may look a lot lower with the true 3'' in the front? :headscratch:

YotaFun
06-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your input gentleman.
It is greatly appreciated here!

Anyone else like to add there .02?

neliconcept
06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
dunno if you read this over there or not, but i just wanna reiterate my .02 :) which is find some people with the different lifts you are looking at, take a ride, or even bribe em into letting you drive and go with the flow, gives you what you are looking for and you dont have to go upon words as you will actually experience the ride.

but each does have its perks

04 Rocko Taco
06-04-2007, 06:40 AM
I considered going the same route Avy...
But now, I am chickening out, and just running 3" spacers up front, and a 3" AAL in the rear. :)
Hey, it is just 2WD, right?