PDA

View Full Version : Inventor discovers a way to make SALT WATER BURN

bamachem
06-01-2007, 06:38 AM
i found this on a hunting website and thought it was pretty cool...

http://www.geekarmy.com/Science/Salt-Water-Into-Fire.html

more text on the subject:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55934

Online skeptics are throwing cold water on the idea, saying the laws of science pose some problems:

# "It takes more electricity to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen than you get back in energy by burning the hydrogen and oxygen to recreate water and get the heat. So there is no new 'source' of power, since you are just converting electricity into a lesser amount of energy. You could get more heat energy out of electricity by running it through a blow dryer and THAT is not considered a 'new' energy source."

# "Basic chemistry: the amount of energy required to free the hydrogen from the oxygen in H2O is more than the energy released when the hydrogen and oxygen recombine and burn. The flame is clearly the color of ionized sodium from the salt. Whatever the actual specific explanation, which they don't bother to approach in the video, water and salt don't burn without puting more energy into the reaction than you get out. Turning a lot of radio energy into a little heat and light is no breakthrough."

# "Using RF energy, or any other energy to first break down the hydrogen and oxygen water molecule into its constituent H2 and O2 molecules, and then burning the products is old technology. ... However, if the RF H2O cracking method can be developed such that it is a superior way over current methods used to produce H2, which can subsequently be used in H2 fuel-cell automobiles for example, then THAT might be of value as well."

MTL_4runner
06-01-2007, 11:15 AM
It's hard to tell if he's just burning salt with radio waves (I totally agree the flame is the color of sodium being burned not hydrogen) or if there is some net energy created from the effect. The net energy part is obviously key and how much results from the reaction, might tell you whether it was practical or not. My hunch is that if he's got enough RF power going through there to light up a CFL bulb and the experiment won't sustain itself without the additional RF power, then you're not going to get much out of it in terms of net energy. Looks like a fun experiment, nothing more. I do have to also agree most of these amazing inventions turn out to be duds when you put them under scrutiny.

It would be quite a simple process to validate. Are the Watts electrical input to create the RF < Watts heat output?
If the answer is yes, then you might have something but if not.....neat science experiment.

I still remain skeptical of free lunches, but I wouldn't discard it until it was verified one way or another.

Texas Jim
06-01-2007, 09:04 PM
You can burn methane... If you can catch enough of it....lol :tongueout: TJ

SD4runner
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Its pretty sweet, but, yes, once again, it takes more energy to create the electromagnetic waves than you get out of the flame.

Also, couldn't the burning of saltwater in turn give way to huge corrosion problems?