PDA

View Full Version : anyone near upstate NY?

Tofer
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
more specifically Schenectady NY? i'm flying out there at the end of june for a job interview. whats the area/weather/people/wheelin/etc like? hows the cost of living? rent doesnt seem that expensive, 750 for a 1br/bath.

rocket
06-02-2007, 02:59 AM
I seriously feel sorry for you. Anywhere in upstate NY is one of the the worst places in the US. 70% of the people are rude (you'll see what i mean if you stay), the weather sucks ALL 365 days a year, wheeling is unheard of...you literally have to find/make your own trails which would most likely be illegal.
Cost of living should be and is WAY cheaper. I knew people that rented 2br houses for that much. I've been to and worked at Binghamton, Albany, Syracuse, Watertown, and Scranton. They're all the same. I hate that entire state with a passion. Everyone that lives there feels like there "stuck" there with nowhere to go.
Again, the weather sucks balls...even when it's spring, summer, or fall.

It's considered expensive where i live now...i'm paying $750 for a 2 br/ 1.5 bath duplex. Right near everything that Denver has to "offer".

If you move there, your gonna get raped in more ways than one. Theres not a single good thing i could say about that place except for the experience that i'll never go back.

What leads you to NY besides a job? Do what you can to stay west.

Tofer
06-02-2007, 09:47 AM
nothing really leads me to NY besides the job and i;ve never lived on the east coast. The company i am interviewing wiht is Lockheed Martin at the Knolls Atomic Power Lab site.

Rtrac
06-02-2007, 02:52 PM
I already answered you on toyotacrawlers.com but,

It not as bad as rocket describes it. We get EVERY type of weather imaginable, it just doesnt stick around long. Wheeling can be had, its not easy to find since the wheeling community tries to keep our legals trails safe from people who might go out and ruin it (trails are closing more and more from overuse or pissed off adjacent land owners.)hook up with some local clubs (NTC, adirondack jeeps) and theyll be happy to show you around. within a 2-3 hour drive theres alot of good wheeling to be had, and 2 major off road parks are 3-4 hours away in Pennsylvania.

We're not the friendliest people. I guess it takes a little thicker skin to live here since strangers wont go out of their way to make nice with you.

Lee
06-02-2007, 08:26 PM
dude you can come wheelin' with us at NTC :)

we're a really fun club, we wheel a lot, and youve already made the first step by signing up at our board :)

rocket
06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
nothing really leads me to NY besides the job and i;ve never lived on the east coast. The company i am interviewing wiht is Lockheed Martin at the Knolls Atomic Power Lab site.

wow my step dad works at lockhead martin in Littleton, CO and has at few other sites. Are you talking a career or something temporarily? Either way, what i said about NY is the truth...especially if your coming from the west like i did.