PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Locker

olharleyman
06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Has anyone ever done an Aussie Locker install?? I'm Having some real issues with my Aussie not unlocking it stays in the locked possition and I need some help trouble shooting it. Anyone with any advice or pointers please help.

amgraham
06-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Is it not unlocking while driving or have you tried that yet? Did you check the clearance to make sure it's in spec? I thought the instructions did a really good job of walking me through checking that. Also, realize that it will be very stiff at first to get it to unlock... When I first did mine I had a friend hang on to the other tire and I had to pretty much slam the other one around to get it to unlock. Also, did you put some grease on the teeth when you installed it? If you're not using synthetic you might want to try it as it made mine work a ton smoother. If none of that is it I would call Aussie.

oly884
06-04-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm with amgraham on this one. It would help to know when it's not unlocking (ie. around corners, or are you just installing it)

olharleyman
06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
It is staying locked at all times the only way to get the axles to spin is by turning the driveshaft and then they turn the same direction at the same time . I have Manuel hubs and with them in free it still will only turn via the drive shaft method. To add insult to injury the rear lockright is staying locked up as well guess I better stay with working on harleys

slosurfer
06-04-2007, 05:16 PM
It is staying locked at all times the only way to get the axles to spin is by turning the driveshaft and then they turn the same direction at the same time . I have Manuel hubs and with them in free it still will only turn via the drive shaft method.

I don't have lockers but it sounds like it is doing exactly what it supposed to. Your hubs are not going to lock or unlock the locker. They are allowing the wheel to freespin and take the whole front out of the equation. I guess I don't see the problem that your locker is working, your manual hubs allow you to daily drive without worrying about it. Maybe I am offbase, but I think you are chasing ghosts. Also, I am with amgraham, I don't think you will get it to unlock by trying to turn the cv's themselves. You need more torque like the method he used.

olharleyman
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
It is staying locked at all times the only way to get the axles to spin is by turning the driveshaft and then they turn the same direction at the same time . I have Manuel hubs and with them in free it still will only turn via the drive shaft method.

well if thats the case then I don't get why when driving down the road making a turn it pushes Thur and makes god awful whines like its in 4wd and snaps and pops and trys to break my arm to turn

I don't have lockers but it sounds like it is doing exactly what it supposed to. Your hubs are not going to lock or unlock the locker. They are allowing the wheel to freespin and take the whole front out of the equation. I guess I don't see the problem that your locker is working, your manual hubs allow you to daily drive without worrying about it. Maybe I am offbase, but I think you are chasing ghosts. Also, I am with amgraham, I don't think you will get it to unlock by trying to turn the cv's themselves. You need more torque like the method he used.

DEATHRUNNER
06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
The locker will only let a wheel spin faster than the driveshaft. So it will only differentiate in a turn.

I don't think having the hubs engaged, even with 2wd, is a good idea on pavement. It seems like extra wear on the locker.

If you jack up the axle, and spin one wheel, they should both spin the same direction. Thenas it is spinning, yank teh opposite direction on one of the wheels, it should pop free and ratchet.

olharleyman
06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
UPDATE
Got hold of the AUSSIE LOCKER people today and did some troubleshooting with them and found that the grease holding the parts together may be the culprit. Have the front torn out and axles removed but broke a axle clip so waiting for one to come in at stealership then should be able to see if that's the answer.