PDA

View Full Version : Reversed rake after lift! (L@@K PIC)

cox380
06-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Well I installed my lift the other day and look what I ended up with. :( I should have known. I didn't think I'd get that much lift up front. My front now measures 39" from fender to ground and my rear is 37". Here's what I installed.

FRONT
-Tundra TRD springs (y/y & y/b)
-1" poly top out spacer
-extended top plate studs
-Bilstein HD p/n BE5-2450(yes the lower spring cup is in right)

REAR
-2.5" poly spacer (yes, thats it)

I got the 2.5" spacer lift off eBay. My freind installed the same kit and his rear sat way higher than the front. So I thought I'd leave out the spring spacer using only the top out spacer and put the Tundra springs instead and it should be close to level. I was way off!

My plans were to leave it like this until I could get some LC coils and shocks for the rear. But now I'm afraid that the LC coils won't even be enough lift. I think I,m going to add some OME 890's to the rear along with the 2.5" spacer. That way it will ether be level or slightly raked. With a adjustable panhard bar from SS of coarse, and some LC Bilstein shocks.

Any other Ideas for the rear would be helpful.(I like the lift in front and I don't want to lower it.)http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z217/cox380/DSCF0691640x480.jpg

bamachem
06-04-2007, 05:10 AM
well, the 1" spacer up front will yield almost 2" of lift due to the geometry of the front suspension (where the strut mounts to the arm in relation to the pivot point and the contact of the tire w/ the ground), then the tundra springs are good for almost 2" if you don't have a bumper/winch.

i would say that you're at least 3.75" and really close to 4" up front.

that looks right when compared to the 2.5" you have the rear.

take the 1" spacers out of the fronts, and they will be right at 2" or just under. then you will have about 0.5" to 0.75" of rake - but in the right direction!

also, DO NOT WHEEL with it like that. you have WAY too much lift. you really need to get that spacer out of there PRONTO!

emptypockets
06-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Most of the people doing the Tundra springs up front run a 3/8" topout spacer, not a 1" spacer. 'Bama's right on this one, remove the spacer you have now and go with a topout at the most. IIRC, a 3/8" topout actually yields .75" of additional lift. Some are running two topouts, but wheeling that setup can and often does kill cv's.

04 Rocko Taco
06-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Not if your 2WD baby!!! :tongueout:

Of course I'd rather be a 4WD CV Killer, then stuck with my PreRunner, but hey, wheel it 'till it doesnt cut it right?

MTL_4runner
06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Most of the people doing the Tundra springs up front run a 3/8" topout spacer, not a 1" spacer. 'Bama's right on this one, remove the spacer you have now and go with a topout at the most. IIRC, a 3/8" topout actually yields .75" of additional lift. Some are running two topouts, but wheeling that setup can and often does kill cv's.

That's about right, the resulting lift is almost double the thickness of the spacer due to the geometry of the front suspension. If this truck is 4WD then I highly suggest you take out that 1" spacer up front before wheeling of you'll be guranteed to break something on the first outing. If the truck is 2WD then that's a different story. Those HD bilsteins up front probably aren't helping the situation either.

Maybe some specs on the truck would help? motor? trans? 2WD/4WD?

bamachem
06-04-2007, 06:42 AM
crap, i didn't even catch that you were using the HD bilsteins.

you won't like the ride. it will be similar to a lowrider with cut coils.

you really need to get some SOFT shocks in there when you pull the spacer out.

Seanz0rz
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
those cv's are going to explode in this driveway!

drop that 1 inch in favor of a 3/8

neliconcept
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
those cv's are going to explode in this driveway!

drop that 1 inch in favor of a 3/8

CVs is one of the issues

one thing ive noticed is that your upper a arm is going to get caught on the coils and everytime you take a hard turn your tire is going to be off the ground, plus the balljoints will go out a lot faster

Rock Slide
06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, you don't really see any reversed rake setups :D

Yeah, like others have said take that huge front spacer out...unless you like the reverse rake.

I agree with Andy too. I don't think you'll like those HD Bil shocks either. Way too stiff IMO.

cox380
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Sorry guys. I forgot to mention that it's a 2WD. I put a couple hundred miles on it and so far I must say that I like the ride. It's a little stiff but I don't mind trading a little confort for some performance. I also tow my 3500lb boat once or twice a month. Plus these springs were desighed to go with HD Bilsteins so I'm going to keep it that way. Nothing rubs at all. The only thing I'm worried about is the upper ball joint. If they become a problem I'm thinking of installing these
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z217/cox380/camuca.jpg
I'd like some ideas of how I could bring the back up.

MTL_4runner
06-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok, 2WD will survive that much lift but the ride will definately be harsh (esp with the HD bils). If you're towing a boat, then LC coils probably won't work too well for you. You'd be better off with a set of 906's or 890's (in combo with the 2.5" spacers you've got in back already). I will say that when you go that high you may also begin to get mysterious vibration issues which are often very tough to diagnose but it comes with the territory. The 890's will definately give you a rake while the 906's may be close to sitting level. It all depends on what you're after. The 891's will ride very harshly in an unloaded rig and would also give you a pretty serious rake.

Final installed heights:

OME906 + 2.5" spacer = 37" + 2.5" = 39.5"
OME890 + 2.5" spacer = 38" + 2.5" = 40.5"
OME891 + 2.5" spacer = 39" + 2.5" = 41.5"

They'll usually sag about 0.5" after a few months from what I have mentioned above.

*EDIT* Also changed the last line to read 891 instead of 906 (thanks Chris)
*EDIT* Also changed the last line to actually add up correctly (thanks DNA)

cox380
06-04-2007, 02:13 PM
From my research I thought that the 906's lift the rear 1.75 to 2 inches max?(after broken it). And 890 about 2"-2.5". So I'm leaning towards the 890's. Does anyone have any more info on the UNI-BALL upper control arms?

MTL_4runner
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
From my research I thought that the 906's lift the rear 1.75 to 2 inches max?(after broken it). And 890 about 2"-2.5".

Yes, they do......that's exactly what I had in the numbers above with the addition of your 2.5" rear spacer. I did some editing to make sure I was as clear as I could be on what the result would be. Also keep in mind the fronts will settle too since they are freshly installed.

04 Rocko Taco
06-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Final installed heights:

OME906 + 2.5" spacer = 37" + 2.5" = 39.5"
OME890 + 2.5" spacer = 38" + 2.5" = 40.5"
OME906 + 2.5" spacer = 37" + 2.5" = 41.5"

*EDIT* They'll usually sag about 0.5" after a few months from what I have mentioned above.

Good info Jamie...but you might want to check your math....you have the 906's listed as 37" plus a 2.5" spacer equaling 41.5 inches, for that to be true, the spacer would have to be 4.5 inches, or those 906's would have to be 39" as opposed to 37"...

MTL_4runner
06-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Good info Jamie...but you might want to check your math....you have the 906's listed as 37" plus a 2.5" spacer equaling 41.5 inches, for that to be true, the spacer would have to be 4.5 inches, or those 906's would have to be 39" as opposed to 37"...

Thanks, fixed it. :D

No wonder cox380 was confused, the info was all :screwy:
I obviously couldn't see the forest through the trees yesterday. :laugh:

DNAhilux
06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks, fixed it. :D
No wonder cox380 was confused, the info was all :screwy:
I obviously couldn't see the forest through the trees yesterday. :laugh:

Well today you cant see the bear droppin a deuce on the tree in front of you. You still have to edit the height of the 891's..(39) 37+2.5 still doesnt get ya 41.5 ..I know its obvious, but just givin ya a hard time. :king:

cox380
06-06-2007, 02:32 AM
here's more pics
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z217/cox380/DSCF0698.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z217/cox380/DSCF0699.jpg

MTL_4runner
06-06-2007, 04:03 AM
Well today you can't see the bear droppin a deuce on the tree in front of you. You still have to edit the height of the 891's..(39) 37+2.5 still doesnt get ya 41.5 ..I know its obvious, but just givin ya a hard time. :king:

You can say that again! :rofl: Are we there yet? :flipoff: j/k
I need to get my head back in the game here, but it's been a long couple of weeks for other reasons.

Cox, those are definately the HD bils which won't be too comfortable in combo with stiff springs.

bamachem
06-06-2007, 04:11 AM
cox380: the issue that you will encounter will be that you have zero down travel left in your suspension. if it goes down any at all, then the upper A-Arm will be contacting the spring.

you *can* run it that way, but i can guarantee that the long-term results won't be desirable.

cox380
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
It does go down about 1". my Question now is; Will the Camburg upper controll arms allow it to have more down travel?

MTL_4runner
06-06-2007, 10:18 AM
It does go down about 1". my Question now is; Will the Camburg upper controll arms allow it to have more down travel?

No, you're limited by the suspension geometry. You'd need to move the entire IFS system lower to regain your suspension movement again. I thought Fabtech sold a kit for that....I know they had one for the Taco....maybe someone else could chime in on that. Anyway, the way you have it now, you're at the limits of the stock IFS geometry and you'll definately sacrifice ride characteristics to have that little downward movement in the front end.

If height is really what you're after, why don't you use smaller spacers on the suspension (3/8 up front and 1" in back) then do a 2" body lift. That should still put you pretty high up in the air and the extra cost would be alot less than a setup that lowers the entire IFS to give you more lift.....and you won't have such a harsh ride either.