PDA

View Full Version : Gear selector stuck in "Park" A340H

slosurfer
06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Yesterday I was working on my cement mixer (bearings, races, etc...) I hooked it up to my 4runner when I was done and took it for a test drive, came back and unloaded the mixer. I jump back in the 4runner to turn it around and park in my driveway. WTH, it was stuck in Park and I had to use the lock override button to get it out of park. I drive it around, running it through all the gears, park it look at the linkage and everything is working. I could not figure it out. I was still dinking around with my mixer because it needed to be fixed for work and my 4runner could wait.

I had to go the hardware store so I take the 4runner to see if I could figure anything out. I notice my blinkers aren't working. I know it's not the bulbs because the hazards work. I check the fuse and sure enough it is burnt out, I throw my spare in and head back home, and the fuse lasts till the third time I used the blinker. So now my blinker fuse is blowing and I have to use the shift lock override to get out of park. :headscratch: So, now I head to go get more fuses as I was pulling into the parking lot, the guy behind me almost runs into me and gives me a nasty look. YOu guessed it, no brake lights. WTH, so now I am blowing two fuses! I head home scratching my head, not knowing what to think. How can these problems be connected? The only thing I could think of where I could possibly be blowing those specific fuses at the same time was in my 4flat connector for towing.I thought that was odd because I didn't hook them up to tow the mixer. Sure enough my right/stop and left/stop wires had small breaks in them right next to each other. They weren't touching but were close enough to arc across and blow those fuses. It was almost dark so I wrapped some electrical tape around each wire and threw in some new fuses. Woolah! Everthing back to normal! Apparently if those fuses are blown, it will lock the shifter in the Park position. I never knew that! Does anyone know if it does this with all fuses or just cerain ones?

I just thought I would post it because I would have never thought to check fuses for my gear selector locking up. I was pretty stoked to figure it out on my own though. Although I did spend a ton of time looking at and grabbing all my linkages and everything before I figured it out. :D

Robinhood4x4
06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Nice job Chris. I would have never thought to look there.

But wait...somebody rear ended you? I guess it wasn't bad since you didn't make a big deal about it.

slosurfer
06-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Nice job Chris. I would have never thought to look there.

But wait...somebody rear ended you? I guess it wasn't bad since you didn't make a big deal about it.

Thanks, almost ran into me. That is how I figured out that my brake lights also weren't working. :D Although I did get rearended towind my m416 about a month ago. Didn't do anything but wreck the ladies grill.

reggie 00
06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Do you think it was just the brake fuse holding it in park. Since you have to have your foot on the brake to get it out of park?

slosurfer
06-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Reggie, it could have been. Hard to tell since they both were blowing but that makes since. I couldn't even depress the button on the shifter to shift out of park. Now that I know the depress button has an electric switch in it, it makes sense that it is on the same circuit as the brake lights. I just had never heard of a fuse blowing and locking the shifter. I just assumed that the depress button and shifter was all mechanical, and the only electrical component was the OD on/off button in the shifter. You know how hard it is to try to see how the brake lights, turn signal lights, and the transmission all could break at the same time. I couldn't believe it, but boy was I glad that it was something simple. Plus I was by myself so I kept having to jam something on the brakes to go see if I had brake lights. Just thought it might save someone some heartache down the road.

ChickenLover
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
That's good info to know. Nice diagnosis of a bizarre problem.

:thumbup:

Robinhood4x4
06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
If it's quiet you can hear the relay click when you slowly depress the brake.