PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the new posts by specific section?

Cebby
06-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Under the "Forum Index" navbar item, if you hover over "New Posts", you'll see a flyout menu with searches for new posts for specific boards. We did a few as a pilot, but will be glad to add more.

#1 - anyone using these?

#2 - are there any that we can add that would be useful?

Seanz0rz
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
i dont use them, i like to see all the posts on this board. especially where our posts per day are low (compared to powerhouses like mp3car, bit-tech, and that other place). i think once we get an average of 10 pages of new posts a day, having the sections will be useful.

randver
06-07-2007, 08:28 PM
x2

slosurfer
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Everyonce in a while I will use it but generally I use the generic recent posts. ONe to trip planning could be useful, especially once there are more trips.

Ric
06-07-2007, 08:33 PM
i ussuall use the "recent posts" up on top

slosurfer
06-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I was thinking about this the other day and I think it would be more useful if they just jumped you to that actual section rather than just the new posts for that section. For new posts, I pretty much use the generic one but there are times I want to reread a thread in one of the vehicle sections and it would be nice to jump straight to that section. I think just the sections you already have and maybe add "Event Planning" to it, but mainly the vehicle sections.

Peter
06-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Is there any way to get a button to the last read post of a thread?
For example, the "banned from other site" thread that if we see something like that where it's growing by the minute - it would be nice to have a specific place left off instead of hunting through the pages to find where you've last left off - especially if the thread has grown 5 pages since then.

slosurfer
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
If you click on the "New" right next to the thread, it will take you to the first new post that you haven't read.

carljwnc
04-28-2009, 06:54 AM
"New Posts" Button. Hopefully related enough to this topic (I'd don't really think it deserves it's own thread). On all the other forums I'm on (v-bulletin) the "New Posts" button will bring up a list of all the thread titles that have received new posts since the last time I logged on. If I hit the "New Posts" button here I get that there are 219 pages of new posts, I don't think there would be nearly that many in 24 hours. I may be missing something, I have searched around, but haven't found anyway that will bring up threads with new posts since my last log in. Just curious and perhaps a bit confused :confused: Thanks for any input. :)

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I never noticed that existed. Cool feature. I use the "Recent Forum Topics" list on the homepage almost exclusively though. With the current traffic level on this site, this works fine for me; but as the site continues to grow, I can definitely see the usefulness of the "New Posts" feature in the future.

i dont use them, i like to see all the posts on this board. especially where our posts per day are low (compared to powerhouses like mp3car, bit-tech, and that other place). i think once we get an average of 10 pages of new posts a day, having the sections will be useful.

I agree.

carljwnc
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
I never noticed that existed. Cool feature. I use the "Recent Forum Topics" list on the homepage almost exclusively though. With the current traffic level on this site, this works fine for me; but as the site continues to grow, I can definitely see the usefulness of the "New Posts" feature in the future.

The 'Recent Posts' button, at the top of every page (next to the UltimateYota logo) is the most similar feature I can find, but yet it seems to go back all the way to when the forum started (219 pages), it works for what I'm after as long as I watch the dates/times. I checked out the 'Recent Forum Topics' too, that might work out pretty well, thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

I bring this up because I'm a moderator on another small board and I like to read everything posted. Especially due to time, or lack thereof, the 'New Posts' button brings all the threads with new posts up in one convenient place. :)

Seanz0rz
04-28-2009, 09:53 AM

The 'Recent Posts' button, at the top of every page (next to the UltimateYota logo) is the most similar feature I can find, but yet it seems to go back all the way to when the forum started (219 pages), it works for what I'm after as long as I watch the dates/times. I checked out the 'Recent Forum Topics' too, that might work out pretty well, thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

I bring this up because I'm a moderator on another small board and I like to read everything posted. Especially due to time, or lack thereof, the 'New Posts' button brings all the threads with new posts up in one convenient place. :)

on that page you can mark all posts read, so you wont have 200 plus pages.

edit: DOH, my post somehow made it in the quote. fixed. lol

Crinale
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
@ carl: the "new posts" link brings up all unread posts since you joined the forum. honestly i would click them all once, then they will go away and will only show the ones you havent read... i actually like the way this board is setup better than the other boards...

carljwnc
04-29-2009, 03:38 AM
@ carl: the "new posts" link brings up all unread posts since you joined the forum. honestly i would click them all once, then they will go away and will only show the ones you havent read... i actually like the way this board is setup better than the other boards...

Might have to give that a try, just 218 pages worth will take a bit of time. I sure am enjoying UltimateYota, thank you for pointing my way back here. :drink: The different layout from the other v-bulletin boards I'm on is just taking some getting used to, I'm an old fart and resistant to change. :hillbill:

04 Rocko Taco
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Carl, on the new posts page there is a button that says mark all read, it will mark all 218 pages, and then youwont have to click them all. From that point on it will only show youones room your last visit. :)

carljwnc
04-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Carl, on the new posts page there is a button that says mark all read, it will mark all 218 pages, and then youwont have to click them all. From that point on it will only show youones room your last visit. :)

Gave this a try, looks like it's going to work Great!!! Thanks Rocko Taco!!! :thumbup:

04 Rocko Taco
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Great! No problem!

Crinale
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
haha, i didnt even see this button, so i went through and clicked on all of them on mine... but i only had a page and a half :-P