PDA

View Full Version : What spare parts to carry on the trail?

xonetruthcrewx
06-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Just wondering what you guys would recommend. I carry a good amount of tools and recovery gear but not any spare parts. I recently have started doing some trails that definitely put some stress on the IFS. Last thing i want is to break down and be screwed. So what, a spare front axle? Some spare hardware? I have heard of some breaking driveline bolts, should i thrown some spares in the truck. What else? Lets get a shopping list together for me. Haha. TIA.

Lee
06-09-2007, 04:48 AM
i carry a lot of tools (wrenches, socket set, screw drivers, hammer, etc), my hilift, a spare cv, pry bar, nuts and bolts of all sizes, a jump pack, coolant, oil, atf... stuff like that. :thumbup:

amgraham
06-09-2007, 08:07 AM
As far as parts I just carry a spare half shaft. I have a set of hubs I need to rebuild then I will carry those, also u-joints are good to have (or a spare driveshaft if you're really pounding it). You're right about the bolts, they are good to carry and often overlooked. I would carry some driveshaft bolts, hub nuts and those annoying cone washers, and whatever else seems like it might get broken or lost on a trail repair. Your best bet is to find a truck in the junkyard or getting parted out and just pull the random stuff off. That's what I did.

Robinhood4x4
06-09-2007, 08:25 AM
For you, an extra CV axle for sure. Extra ARB line or a way to repair it. Extra brake line and belts. Maybe a tire plug kit in case you blow your spare too.

xonetruthcrewx
06-09-2007, 08:53 PM
OK, should have gone into what i already carry a little more. I have plenty of extra air line for the lockers and the actual line repair kit. I also have an ARB tire plug kit. Hi-Lift. Plenty of tools. Jumper cables, fire extinguisher, 100ft of rope, etc. etc.

I definitely need to get a good assortment of nuts, bolts and washers though. Extra CV axle too. Serpentine belt, that too. I have steel braided brake lines on all 4 corners, should never be a problem there. Pretty much, i need to go hit up the junk yard and see what i can score. Then off to NAPA.

Thanks guys.

Robinhood4x4
06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I have steel braided brake lines on all 4 corners, should never be a problem there.

Until you run over a branch and it gets lodged in your axle and rips the brake line out. Actually, the bigger problem is that it pulls the fitting right out of the caliper or drum. Then you get to vice grip the brake line shut and drive home with 3 wheel brakes.

xonetruthcrewx
06-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Well i didnt think of that. I guess odder things have happened.

neliconcept
06-11-2007, 09:31 AM
inner and outer tie rods for both sides and maybe spindles for both sides.

xonetruthcrewx
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Damn, if i carry everything you guys are listing i will basically be a 4Runner junk yard. Haha.

neliconcept
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Damn, if i carry everything you guys are listing i will basically be a 4Runner junk yard. Haha.

thats the point ;)

slosurfer
06-11-2007, 08:16 PM

For a run like DE and with a group of similar rigs, you can split up the spare sparts between the different rigs.

turboale
06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Definitely have a spare set of tie rods... I just popped one last weekend with a CV... Not a fun day, had to leave the rig on the trail and come back. (thanks again neli!)

drguitarum2005
06-12-2007, 06:56 PM
i definitely can't afford all these spare parts. ive seen some lists that are a whole page long and include insane things that I wouldn't even know what to do with. so far i've just carried some basic tools, some basic recovery gear, hi-lift, spare tire, usually some food and water, flares, and thats about it. i can't even afford more fluids right now. thats why i go on short day trips not very far from civilization and i go with lots of other rigs.

Lee
06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
the length of your list is determined by the difficulty of the terrain you plan to run. i mean, if you run fire roads, then basic tools will get you out of 99% of situations.

if youre running serious rock gardens or steep, technical rock crawling then youre more likely to snap parts thanks to the increased stress and possibility that you will roll or get some carnage.

xonetruthcrewx
06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
^^^^
Your right Lee. I would have to lean towards the gnar side of things. Looks like i need to find a junked 4Runner and starts gathering parts. I have about a month til the Dusy/Ershim trip, i should be able to gather all the necessities and them some by then. Right On.

Intrepidyota
06-15-2007, 05:32 AM
A convenient way to go might be to make a thread asking what people have broken on the trail. Everyone loves to share carnage stories and then you can get an idea what you might need, plus what breaks most often, thus deciding which to get first.

For me, I carry spare front and rear axle shafts, a spare hub, spare tie rod ends, spare pitman arm, spare rear drive-shaft, (need to replace a spare u-joint that got used), spare spark plugs, spare axle seals (blow a birf and it takes the seal with it depending on the break), spare tire of course, plus random spare fuses, bolts, nuts, etc.

Otherwise, I carry a full tool bag that contains most everything that I might need to make trail repairs. High lift, ratchet straps, air compressor, tire patch kit, tow strap of course. JB weld, welding rods, jumper cables, duct tape, electrical tape, random gasket makers, deep creep, and a spill/clean-up kit. I also carry fluids of every type the vehicle uses, preferably in quantities at least close to what is usually required, most likely if you require fluids on the trail it is because something serious has happened and you will need more than just enough to "top it off". (3 quarts of engine oil, 3 quarts of gear oil, gallon of coolant, etc.) After that, a rain poncho, a tarp, bug spray, first aid kit, zip ties, and random lengths of electrical wire.

That being said, yes, my entire cargo area is pretty much full. :laugh:

Ian Rogers
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
we ran the Dusy Ershim last year

I had spare
3rd member
rear axel shafts (short and Long) Needed long side
water pump
full gasket set(for motor)
6 birf's (2 loaded sets, 4 just the birf) Needed 2
12 qt oil
Fule pump
6 spark plugs
points and condenser
Set of hubs
1 spindle
Rear drive shaft (broke one on the con last year)
Spare steering wheel (broke 2 of the 3 spoke on the con last year)
Drag link/ tie rod with ends
belts & hoses
oh and a ready welder.

Things that we needed but did not have
main leaf for rear springs (tried welding the spring pack back together with no luck)

BruceTS
06-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I just put my garage on a trailer and take the whole thing, just never know what I need......