PDA

View Full Version : Bob_98SR5 is going green! Look at my 87 Mercedes 300D Turbo!

Bob98SR5
06-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey guys,

Boy, i have never been on pins and needles about an ebay auction as I was just about 30 minutes ago! I knew this 1987 Mercedes 300TD would go for a tidy sum, but I think b/c the auction ended on a Sunday, alot of people were probably not watching it. Anyways, I just won this (hopefully) little gem for $4,250. Now I know some of you are about to faint, but something like this with 216k miles in California would fetch about $8k to 9K, no joke! And not to mention, this is a turbo diesel which is even harder to find out here. Anyways, I'm estatic that I found something good for under my $5k goal. :)

Oh yeah, enough babbling. Here are some images:

EDITED: CHECK OUT MY BLOG AT biodieselbob.blogspot.com

As many of you guys read in another thread, I'm planning to drive this for a few months to see if its worthy for a waste vegetable oil conversion. If it truly gets 30-32 mpg, i'll be getting double the mileage as i do now, so its avoided cost savings which I'll apply to the conversion kit.

So, I gotta get on the ball tonight to take care of the paperwork :)

And thanks to everyone I've emailed about Mercedes advice. You know who you are :D

Bob

reggie 00
06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
nice.

I thought the biodiesel didn't require a conversion.

neliconcept
06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
you got the last good year of mercedes, my father has a 300sd turbodiesel 1985 and it has 310k on the clock, it looks almost brandnew. he keeps it up well

slosurfer
06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
:thumbup: Give that thing an urban camo paint job and biodiesel and you are set! :D Congrats!

reggie 00
06-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Na he needs some tint and so new gear:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/2blow_1345_pplleo.jpg

Bob98SR5
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
hey reg,

dontcha read, fella??!?! :D i'm going to convert it after a few months of driving it. if this is a crappy vehicle, id rather not spend the $$ on the conversion

bob

Peter
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Let us know how it turns out. I've been thinking for the last year and a half about getting a full-size diesel truck (shhh, domestic) and doing the same conversion.

slosurfer
06-10-2007, 08:23 PM
You will know when Bob passes you on the freeway. You will get an instant craving for churros.

reggie 00
06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
You will know when Bob passes you on the freeway. You will get an instant craving for churros.

but when you get home there will not be any....

Bob98SR5
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
serious, chris! it will defintely smell like churros or tortilla chips :hillbill:

i'm just unglued at the moment. i can't wait for this car to come in!

bob

Marc P
06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Cool Bob!!

Looks much nicer than the pile I looked at :thumbup:

Bob98SR5
06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
hey marc,

tell me about it! dude, taht guy is really fishy too. i think he co-opt'd (read: blatantly stole) some other guy's 190D ad in San Diego. i called on that and sure enough, it was Mike, the same seller of the one i had you look at

Hey, thanks for your help again on that one! glad i didn't buy that!

bob

ecchamberlin
06-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Good grab Bob. Will follow along as you do this project.

Bob98SR5
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
yeah, definitely! too bad we toyota owners dont have diesel options too >:-\

MTL_4runner
06-11-2007, 05:12 AM
yeah, definitely! too bad we toyota owners dont have diesel options too >:-\

Not in North America anyways. :tapedshut:
I want to see some good install pics if you do the veggie conversion on that Bob. :thumbup:

Peter, I've thought about the same thing several times myself, but the whole domestic thing (and potential associated problems) keeps turning me off to the idea. If gas hits $5-6 per gallon, I might have to overlook that little issue and finally make the jump. :thumbup:

Toyota, why can't the Tundra get a diesel option?! :argue:

fustercluck
06-11-2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.mikepaulblog.com/blog/media/Liberty%20potatoes%20french%20fries.jpg

jrallan26
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Very Cool!

My family have a number of diesels (VWs and MBs). Both are great cars but beware the M-B have the crappiest a/c systems on the planet. Thought I better let you know.

PM me if you have any questions concerning diesels.

SLC Punk
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Bob,
Looks like it is in good shape! Looks newer than a 1987. What state was it from?

aMiR904
06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Bob,
your title is misleading to me, 300TDs are wagons, right? unless you wanted to specify the turbo diesel. i have a similar, 92 300D, converted to the greasecar kit. i get about 32mpg on diesel and about 28mpg on grease.

Paul H.
06-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Be careful about switching over to vegeoil. I read were some states are fining people who make the conversion because these individuals are no longer paying taxes to drive on the road. And states don't like losing their money. I will try to find the article.

Texas Jim
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM

Isn't this J & K with a blond wig??? :thumbup: :rofl: :lol: TJ

Texas Jim
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Be careful about switching over to vegeoil. I read were some states are fining people who make the conversion because these individuals are no longer paying taxes to drive on the road. And states don't like losing their money. I will try to find the article.

I would say then it's time for another "Boston Tea Party!" TJ

P.S. Anyone who is willing to recycle french-fry grease or taco grease, they should get a tax break!! TJ

Paul H.
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Here is the link. http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1487244/

neliconcept
06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
better subscribe to Star magazine now for the MBs, if you have an question about that engine let me know and ill ask my dad, hes done tons of work on his and its reliable as hell

Bob98SR5
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Bob,
your title is misleading to me, 300TDs are wagons, right? unless you wanted to specify the turbo diesel. i have a similar, 92 300D, converted to the greasecar kit. i get about 32mpg on diesel and about 28mpg on grease.

amir,

it is a turbo diesel. is that not the right nomenclature? 300TD? Or is it 300D Turbo? anyways, it is a 300 class diesel with a turbocharger :)

and yes, i've read that there are many model lines w/ crappy AC systems. but according to the seller, he stated that the AC blows cold. as with everything about this car, "we'll see".

and also, i'll probably email you a few questions if you dont mind about your conversion kit, filtering, as well as your overall experience.

paul,

as far as i know, in CA, there is a fee that you need to pay in order to collect waste fuel. but you know, if you are doing it on a small scale, i am sure you'll be fine. also, as much as i'd like a license plate frame that says 'GIVING THE FINGER TO MIDEAST OIL", i am not going to advertise the fact that its running on veggie oil b/c of stories like this as well as potential thieves.

better subscribe to Star magazine now for the MBs, if you have an question about that engine let me know and ill ask my dad, hes done tons of work on his and its reliable as hell

Mr. concept,

i may hit you up on some advice from your dad.

arjan
06-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice find Bob :thumbup:, I personally really like the wagons.

If you get pulled over for tax invasion, just leave the engine run. The police will get such a donut/french fry graving, they'll be gone before they can write you a ticket.
Just make sure you won't get cravings yourself, or you'll end up mortally obese while going green :D

Bob98SR5
06-17-2007, 07:25 PM
arjan,

yeah, i like the wagons too, but they were about $1k more than the sedans. this is all about doing on the cheap! :)

the guy at the dealership got both checks and he's gonna send the title over to me this monday. now i have to arrange the transport. i doubt that they will be able to get it to me by th end of the month, so i'll just expect it to arrive around the beginning of july.

bob

jrallan26
06-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Where is the car from?

Bob98SR5
06-17-2007, 08:24 PM
wisconsin

YotaGirl
06-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Keep us posted on the coversion. Justin and I bought a turbo diesel E350 short bus (yes a real bus with the cool bus door) off of ebay for $3800. It was in Philly, we drove it cross country to CA. We are in the process of building our own biodiesel processor. We can make our own diesel for about $1/gal and it will work in any diesel vehicle!

I'll post a pic of our bus in a minute...

Edit: Edit deleted

jrallan26
06-17-2007, 08:27 PM
What part of Wisconsin? I can bring it back for you.. Sounds like fun driving cross-country...

Bob98SR5
06-17-2007, 09:20 PM
jonno,

oh dude, no need! i would not put anyone through that kind of punishment! the cost is fairly reasonable to do it...about a grand or less

bob

reggie 00
06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
jonno,

oh dude, no need! i would not put anyone through that kind of punishment! the cost is fairly reasonable to do it...about a grand or less

bob

That would be fun.

I did Chicago to Sacramento, left Chi town around 3pm Friday in traffic, Vacaville 4am Sunday in a moving van no doubt.

YotaGirl
06-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Here is a picture of our E350 turbo diesel bus...soon to be the BioBus
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z288/jnjhargrove/DSC00803.jpg

slosurfer
06-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Here is a picture of our E350 turbo diesel bus...soon to be the BioBus
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z288/jnjhargrove/DSC00803.jpg

JnJ will be giving dune tours in the short bus at this years Pismo 4RJ. :D :thumbup:

YotaGirl
06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Don't forget to bring your helmets. Window licking is optional! :lol:

Peter
06-18-2007, 04:12 AM
Keep us posted on the coversion. Justin and I bought a turbo diesel E350 short bus (yes a real bus with the cool bus door) off of ebay for $3800. It was in Philly, we drove it cross country to CA. We are in the process of building our own biodiesel processor. We can make our own diesel for about $1/gal and it will work in any diesel vehicle!

JnJ,

You may want to consider deleting your EDIT.
This is the interweb, after all, and we all have people that may not necessarily like us. There may be some completely willing to comply with the "ratting".

Euphorickaty80
06-18-2007, 05:11 AM

Isn't this J & K with a blond wig??? :thumbup: :rofl: :lol: TJ

???????? ok...now im confused.....J&K as in us? How do we fit in to this thread?

Bob, Looks like you got a good deal there! Def. keep us posted on it if you decide to do the conversion...I hear its pretty easy.

YotaGirl
06-18-2007, 10:24 AM

JnJ,

You may want to consider deleting your EDIT.
This is the interweb, after all, and we all have people that may not necessarily like us. There may be some completely willing to comply with the "ratting".

Point taken!

Edit: Peter, I deleted my previous edit. Hope no damage was done! Sheesh... I'm here less than a month and already I'm causing trouble! :tease:

Bob98SR5
06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
JnJ,

Hey, what kit will you use? I am considering using Lovecraft or Greasecar's kit. I am going to join a local cooperative, so i don't get nailed by the greedy politicians. And you know what kills me? Our state government is practically run by Democrats---the same people who bitch and moan about the environment. Yet not a single on is stepping up to kill that outrageous $1,500 bond that will allow people like us to recycle stuff that would be otherwise thrown out and run cleaner burning fuels. Go figure.

bob

YotaGirl
06-18-2007, 09:36 PM
I am making a homemade appleseed processor. Here is a link to a great website if you are interested in making your own biodiesel http://www.biodieselwarehouse.com/xcart/home.php . I didn't buy one of thier kits, I just used their ideas. From your previous posts, it sounds like you're gonna run SVO (straight vegetable oil). If you make your own BD you don't have to put a conversion on your car. That way if you are out on a trip and you're running low on fuel you can fill up with Dinodiesel. I'll send you a PM about co-ops.

Bob98SR5
06-18-2007, 10:32 PM
jenn,

thanks for the info. much appreciated! according to the literature i've read thus far, they say to run svo for the first 500 to 1000 miles, depending upon who you ask. but it seems like i dont know much about biodiesel as well as you do, so im gonna read your links. if i do go through with all of this, i'll probably process my own WVO, but we'll see. ive read that a lot of people just get plain ol' tired of collecting and processing and end up selling their vehicles :gasp: anyways, i sitll have a ton of reading to do :)

bob

YotaGirl
06-19-2007, 12:15 AM
No problem. I'm just glad I can actually contribute something worthwhile! :D

Bob98SR5
07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Ladies and gents, the eagle has landed :) My Mercedes arrrived this morning in Los Angeles. I'll be picking it up on Saturday morning. Woo wooo!

CJM
07-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Should be able to run SVO easy, if it were me I would do it.

Bob98SR5
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Jenn,

So after viewing a lot of options re WVO vs biodiesel, I've decided to buy a greasecar.com kit. I was mulling between it and the lovecraft kit, but the lovecraft does not purge the fuel from the system. but more importantly, the greasecar.com kit runs the WVO from a 2nd tank---cruising off two fuel tanks means less fueling intervals which buys me time to cleanse any WVO i get from my WVO sources. and speaking of WVO sources, the cafeteria in my office complex as well as a thai restaurant by my house will supply me with WVO :D its a lot closer than the churro factory, so that is a big plus.

that said, i'm on pins and needles becasue i dont even know if the mercedes is all what the seller said it to be. we'll see on saturday. i have a full load of maintenance tasks i need to accomplish before taking the big greasy plunge!

bob

slosurfer
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Hmmm... thai food. Oh but the churros would smell even better, you would have a bunch of pot heads following you on the freeway though. :popcorn:

YotaGirl
07-20-2007, 09:34 AM
:clap: Can't wait to see how everything turns out! Score on the WVO providers! The duel fuel tanks are a great option. Just stay on top of your fuel filters and such, they can get clogged easier running SVO as opposed to BD.

We have been dragging our feet setting up our processor, your project has inspired me to get back to work on it!

Keep us posted! And we want pics!!!!!

Jenn

Bob98SR5
07-21-2007, 12:52 PM
jenn, et al:

well, the eagle has landed! i picked it up today at 930am and as i expected, there are little things here and there that were not declared in the ebay auction. little minor interior trim issues little spots of rust here and there, etc. ive just finished lunch and now i'm goign to give it a more thorough inspection. i'm gonna post pics as well

but overall when i drove it on the freeway, the vehicle is very responsive, esp once the turbo spools in. while i will curb my desires to hang quick left turns from dead stop, the car does have some spunk---more so than the 83 300D that my wife's family owned. That 300D was a DOG.

jenn: i found an excellent site whose author really lays out some good info and very well articulated opinions. i am really going to rethink buying one of the commercially available kits. i think there are ways to fabricate your own kit based on your vehicle requirements much more cheaply and much more effectively than buying a kit. check your PM later this evening.

bob

ecchamberlin
07-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Pics please! Looking forward to the conversion!

Bob98SR5
07-21-2007, 09:44 PM
eric,

b/c of other things that have come up today, i just got around to clay bar'g it. its now 940pm :hillbill: im gonna wash all the oxidized crud off and dry it. gonna keep it in the garage so the outside dust wont settle on it and then polish and wax it.

the actual conversion wont be for at least 30 - 60 days. i need to source one more place for waste oil. if i cant get at least 13 - 15 gals per week, there's no point in doing the conversion.

to all: anyone else have a mercedes? i just noticed that there is a veeeery thin film applied to the sides of my mercedes. it almost looks like a clear protectorant film like 3M sells, but definitely not as thick. my guess its that permaplate-like stuff that the F&I guys try to sell you when you are signing the papers when you buy a car. regardless, the paint looks good after 20 yrs. or who knows, it might be a mercedes thing

one thing i did find is a gigantic rust spot that ate through some metal near the weep hole. or that weep hole might be the entrance hole for the jack stand. i need to look underneath very carefully again.

bob

YotaGirl
07-22-2007, 12:28 AM
We are making our own kit/processor, too. It is cheaper, the up side to buying a kit is it's already put together for you. Sometimes it gets difficult trying to find all the right parts. With the kit it's usually plug in and go. By making your own, though, you will really know all the ins and outs of your conversion. There are pros and cons to each. If you make your own you should write a wiki on it! :D

Bob98SR5
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
alright, so after spending last night washing, removing stickers, and claybar'g...

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/heatgun_sticker.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/front_clayed.jpg

gasp! some punk put a K&N filter in there! but it was taken out and replaced with a more conventional paper filter.

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/knn_kissofdeath.jpg

...I got up a little early to do some more inspections. in the interior, pretty much all the air vents do not move. they do not move quite well and/or are completely broken. that said, the AC blows cold. That, I have read, is a rarity for most older Mercedes like mine:

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/ac_center_busted.jpg

the left driver sideview mirror control lever is busted:

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/sail_panel.jpg

two small cracks in the dash near "R2D2" (i'm thinking about keepin' him) as 1980's as he looks :D :

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/r2d2.jpg

On the exterior, and as I expected, there is surface rust:
http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/rust_rear.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/rust.jpg

In the front driver's side, there seems to be a narrow strip of rust that *may* have gotten under the underbody protectant material. There's a chunk that seemed to have eaten away at ... well, i dont know. I have to go to a shop and have it lifted. My jack could not get under there. That is really the only thing that concerns me at this point, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to take it to a shop. So of course I Rustoleum'd everything to death, but I may have to POR15 that section that I spoke about above.

Midwest and East Coast people: I need your rust treatment expertise, so please chime in!

I took a look at the engine because there seems to be a little chirpy chirpy at idle when I just start her up and for the first hour or two of street driving. The guy who sold it to me said he had changed out the serpentine belt prior to shipping, so I believe he may have not done that correctly. That is my guess

Luckily, I did find a steal of a deal on the original OEM MBZ manuals for my vehicle! It was amazingly coincidental how that auction came up the same time I found out the car was at the Gardena terminal. So I am going to wait until I thoroughly read over the manuals before I do any work on the engine

Ok, so my overall impression is that I made a good choice in purchasing the vehicle. Aside from the minor things above (rust not being one of them), I can deal with it. It's a 20 year old car, for goodness sakes. Though I will say this much: if i ever sell my 4runner and its 20 years old, the buyer will probably be floored that its a 20 yr old vehicle :) ...awe, who am i kidding. I'll probalby drive it into the ground ;)

Alright, so I detailed it to the best of my abilities today using Meguiar's Gold Class Glaze. So for your car porn addicts, here are the money shots:

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/money_side.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/money_angle_02.jpg

http://www.4runners.org/image/300d_turbo/money_angle_03.jpg

Ok manual, come in already so I can do some work! :smokin:\

Oh and more more thing: I think little Johnny got the hand-me-down Mercedes from daddy. See the black on the center of the wheels? Yeah, that's spray paint. That same black spray paint was used on the emblems too right between the letters 300D and Turbo. Finally, who else would put a crappy K&N filter in *any* vehicle? Yup, a teenager with no common sense and an insatiable need to "customize" on the cheap :shake: Anyways, that paint is a bear to get off. I tried everything from brake cleaner to a dremel polishing tip. The dremel tool did work but it took forever to get off one small patch. I will have to find some other way to get this darn black paint off.

Bob

slosurfer
07-22-2007, 11:25 PM
:thumbup: Looking forward to this build.

two small cracks in the dash near "R2D2" (i'm thinking about keepin' him) as 1980's as he looks :D :

:lol: You better keep that thing, that's so ugly its cool! :rofl:

if i ever sell my 4runner and its 20 years old, the buyer will probably be floored that its a 20 yr old vehicle :) ...awe, who am i kidding. I'll probalby drive it into the ground ;) Or another car :spit: J/K Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though, you need to find a toyota blue 2nd gen. inclinometer to sit right next to R2D2. Oh and hey, I have a K&N filter. :flipoff:

Seanz0rz
07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
that thing is straight up gangsta bob!

Bob98SR5
07-22-2007, 11:28 PM
:thumbup: Looking forward to this build.

:lol: You better keep that thing, that's so ugly its cool! :rofl:

if i ever sell my 4runner and its 20 years old, the buyer will probably be floored that its a 20 yr old vehicle :) ...awe, who am i kidding. I'll probalby drive it into the ground ;) Or another car :spit: J/K Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though, you need to find a toyota blue 2nd gen. inclinometer to sit right next to R2D2.

chris,

yeah, it is so ugly that it'll be worth keeping :) and ha ha, yeah, i know. ill never live that accidente' down!

and no, no inclinometer. R2 would feel inadequate...:rofl:

bob

Bob98SR5
08-01-2007, 01:16 AM
wow, so much has happened in a few days.

well first off, i went to the DMV. don't ask. even w/ the appointment, it took 1.75 hrs. i hate the dmv. its like going to walmart, only you have to be nice to the employees. reg fee is $79 per year, but the sales tax...dont axe. i hate CA.

anyways, turns out that the tensioner-related parts need a replacing. cost me about $200 in parts for everything w/ new Continental belt as well as new MBZ spec coolant. this is the worst of the problems, sans some rust that i'm gonna take care of w/ some POR-15 in a month or two. still sun shiny out here, so i'm gonna wait.

i'm gonna have to replace all the suspension bushings too. also, do some seafoaming as well.

i've had a change of heart re WVO. i may explore some more the biodiesel option. did you hear that Jenn? :) we have much to talk about at June lake!

bob

YotaGirl
08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
:clap: I'll bring my Biodiesel Homebrew Guide!

Bob98SR5
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
jenn,

i love the idea of biodiesel's simplicity re just replacing the hoses w/ those viton hose...sounds soooo simple. but when i see some of the pics for homebrew biodiesel stations, i just faint. i cant even imagine one of those things in my garage!

anyways, im sure we will have some very edjumacational conversations!

bob

YotaGirl
08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Some of the kits are pretty big. I don't think the basic beginner ones take up that much room, though. What I am most concerned about is quality control with my product. I want to take a class but they are usually only offered up in Northern CA.

We will definately have lots to talk about up at June Lake!

Bob98SR5
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
latest update: RUST!

most CA body shops have no practical experience dealing with rust but know in theory how to deal with it. i visited about 7 shops, no dice. the last one whose shop is connected to my mechanic's shop only offered to weld areas where i have trouble. he gave me the low down on how to deal with it and what to do, so at least i'm thankful for that. it looks worse than it is:

strut hole
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/hole_strut_tower.jpg

driver's
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/drivers.jpg

center/passenger
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/frominside2.jpg

wheel well
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/300D%20Turbo/wheelwellrearpass.jpg

i bought 1/2 of a mercedes shell as a donor vehicle, so i will patch this as i go along. i need to practice and learn some new skills very soon :) anyone deal with patching rust, please chime in!

bob

Seanz0rz
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
ive done a tiny bit, basically the best way for YOU to do it is cut out all the rust, match panels and have them overlap, drill holes through the patch piece and do roset welds. then weld up the seams.

if you want to do it correctly, you will have to butt-weld all the patches, which requires lots of skill and time. this is the correct way to do it, but alot more complicated, etc, etc.

id like to learn too, id be willing to help you out on anything you need.

Bob98SR5
09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
roset welds - never read about that yet, so i'll have to look that up!

so far, ive read that the preferred method is to tack and then butt weld. and that the patch panels need to have some rust inhibitor like POR15 slathered on the inside so as to prevent internal rust again.

sean, i'll see where i'm at and i'll shoot you an email if i need help :)

thanks,
bob

slosurfer
09-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Oh hell, just hack it off and tube it when you get done with Lance's runner. :flipoff:

Good Times
09-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Oh hell, just hack it off and tube it when you get done with Lance's runner. :flipoff:

hahaha that sounds like the best idea yet! :D

reggie 00
09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
If your welding skills are not up to say the Wabbit's or BruceTS's level, there are some adhesives that will work just as good for the cut trim overlap method. They did it on Trucks earlier in the year, for us welding challenged folk.

Bob98SR5
09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
reg,

got a recommendation?

reggie 00
09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
reg,

got a recommendation?

Was afraid you might want me to remember.

I have an email in to the show to get the name/manufacturer.

If that doesnt work i try to get ahold of my Uncle, he is a very good source of auto knowledge.
He once redid a Buick that to see the licence plates you had to roll under the car with a creeper, and he hates bondo unless in smallllllll quantities.

Bob98SR5
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
hey reg,

that would be great! :) i took some time this evening to tear apart the rust and its in the rocker panel channel. there's no way in hell i'm gonna take that off. really, my only option given my skill sets are to por15 the inside of that channel to the best of my abilities and then patch all the stuff on the inside

what makes this really difficult is that if i were to weld, the metal would get hot really quickly and then the plastic wires and wire channels might melt. and then id cry like a b###h because its game over after that. i think really the only option is to do spot weld, use adhesive and then slather the POR15 all over

man, this project bites!!!

bob

Cebby
09-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Rust? We got rust here... Sean hit the nail on the head though - cut out ALL the rust and weld up as he said. As far as the wire channel and wiring, you need to move that stuff out of the way, or put a sopping wet rag on it to keep it cool. Roset welds are the equivalent of plug welds - easy stuff. Once you have the welder set right, you'll breeze right through this. Get or borrow a small gas MIG setup - point-n-click almost.

Cebby
09-06-2007, 05:23 AM
BTW, your pic links in the first post are broken.

Bob98SR5
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Update: yes, i've been documenting all of this like a good UY moderator should :)

Biodiesel Bob's blogspot (http://www.biodieselbob.blogspot.com) I never thought I'd be a blogger :king:

Ok, really at this stage in the game, i am nowhere near processing any biodiesel! Its all about cutting out rust and treating the rust. The rust damage is just everywhere. some areas worse than others. I just finished the driver's side (which was definitely the worst) and the rear end. There's the right side that needs to be done and that is the next two week's task, though I think I can finish in about 10 days if I am diligent enough and if the rust is just in spots. I think that will be the case. However, I do need to treat the rear subframe when we drop it, so Lance, let's chat about that when I finish the accessible areas on the passenger side.

Anyways, if any of you guys want to see how I am taking care of the rust, please read from August until now. This month, I have quite a few entries. All entries have pics so you can see what I'm doing.

I'd say I will be done by Christmas. I am trying to be conservative because I will definitely have to do some suspension R&R. Bushings and such. Grrr.

Anyways, this has been quite a learning experience for me. I don't fear rust anymore, but I will definitely not be a freakin' dumb ass and believe anyone that says "Oh, its turnkey car...just a surface rust!" :lliar: :lliar: :lliar:

That said, you just have to motor on and get the job done. The blue mercedes will ride again!

elripster
10-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi Bob, I have to read the whole thread but I am interested and will do so soon. I had a 79 300D we called PSD for Pimp Surf Diesel. My dad gave it to me with 300,000 miles on it. I traded it to a surf buddy with 340,000 on the clock to upgrade. Why we called it that don't know, just for fun I guess but I sure miss cruising it to the beach with 4 long boards on the surf racks. My next one was an '82 300SD, now I really liked that car. Smooth, big, faster, better economy...

Good luck with all the rust repair, as said you really have to remove all the rusty stuff or it will still spread.

It's great to see people keep these cars on the road. They were in my opinion one of the pinnacles of machine design before electronic controls took over much of what the mechanicals did in the day. Those old diesels are probably the most over engineered cars ever built.

Frank

Bob98SR5
10-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Frank,

The 83 to 85 Mercedes 300Ds are definitely the most overbuilt mercedes that they produced. Great engines, very reliable, not barn burners, easy to fix, built like a tank, but all suffer from the same rust problems like I am going through, even CA ones. Heck, its a 20 year old car---older than some of the members here!

Hey, check your email. Just sent you a request.

Seanz0rz
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
w00t for being born in 86'!

bob, in your research, any other good cantidates for this conversion?

slosurfer
10-29-2007, 08:10 PM

:lol:

Bob98SR5
10-29-2007, 08:20 PM
sean,

its definitely the mercedes. other popular choices are VWs and the Isuzu trooper. but again, the WVO and biodiesel vehicle of choice is Mercedes

reggie 00
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM

no doubt huh.
I was driving before he started walking.

man I'm getting old.

Seanz0rz
10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
888-ez2-pimp? if we have learned anything from what Big Daddy Kane, Ice T, and others have told us, its that pimpin AINT easy. who are these people? and how do they make pimping so easy? i would like to know.

bob, you up for the challenge of pimpin?

as A Pimp Named Slickback once said: Runnnnnn b!tch RUNNNNN!

reggie 00
11-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Ok i sound some info for you Bob.

That adhesive i mentioned for panel repairs.

I think these might work:
3M Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive PN 08115

Some info found:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/285836-3m-automix-panel-bonding-adhesive-pn-08115-anyone-use-it.html

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtmxTXMx&aEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

Im sure the junk yards have quite the selection down there, but if they are lacking some thing i think i saw 2 or three Mercedes in the yard yesterday when i was out. Probably going back out this weekend to make a more detailed look around if you need something let me know. The one i poked my head in was pretty straight and interior was not to bad considering.

neliconcept
11-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Frank,

The 83 to 85 Mercedes 300Ds are definitely the most overbuilt mercedes that they produced. Great engines, very reliable, not barn burners, easy to fix, built like a tank, but all suffer from the same rust problems like I am going through, even CA ones. Heck, its a 20 year old car---older than some of the members here!

Hey, check your email. Just sent you a request.

well one other thing you are going to hate, the AC is these cars sucks worse then a first gen kia probablly. or is that the heater. no im pretty sure its the AC, my father has been through 3 units i think. The wood will probablly start loosing its clear coat soon too. Once i get home, ill be sure to get some pictures of my dads mercedes, for a 1985 machine, its more luxurious inside then my moms 2000 lexus rx300.

Bob98SR5
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
hey guys,

four runner: i could never be a pimp. i still have the same haircut as from high school :) though i think i could be an international despot like kim jong il, having korean blood in me :hillbill:

reggie: yeah, since you wrote about it, i researched it too. panel bonding is a good option that i'm considering, but i've also bought this resin/rust treatment product from a mercedes speciality shop. you use it with fiberglass. POR-15 has their own version. but i have a feeling the one i bought is the same, but only rebranded and cheaper. we'll see. not just there yet in terms of panel/patch repairs.

Mr. Concept: yes, the AC sucks the big one. Alot of the older ones had the R4 (?) system whereas now we all have to run R134A. i still need to check mine. when it was plus 100 a few months ago, the AC could barely keep up with the heat. i had to drive w/ the windows rolled down with the AC on. stupid yeah, but at least there was air circulation! right now, as the weather is getting cooler, my main concern is finishing the rust/underbody repairs before the rains hit.

i have not worked on it in a week. just got some new tools called "bolt outs" from sears this weekend with lance. as skeptical as i am about these things, damn, they WORK. i was afraid i'd have to buy one of those nut breakers. but the bolt outs worked like a charm.

latest updates: www.biodieselbob.blogspot.com

bob

Seanz0rz
11-05-2007, 11:02 PM
bolt outs plus liquid wrench = awesomness

elripster
11-06-2007, 07:09 AM
At least in your year you don't have the servo AC control system. I had that in my 79 and it was horrible when it failed since it failed on full heat full fan.

You are probably low on R4, that car should have amazing AC. My dad put a larger condenser and evaporator core in the 79 when the AC went and it retained its cooling capacity. You could probably pillage a newer model for some parts and do the same. At least the conversion kits to R134 or cheap.

Frank

neliconcept
11-06-2007, 11:55 AM
going to shoot your blog over to my dad, see if he has anything to add for you Bob!

Bob98SR5
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Neli, Thanks, that'd be great! advice is always appreciated. i have to start buying all the bushings. i'd say every single one is torn and/or destroyed beyond recognition. Does your dad happen to have a good spring compressor? Apparently all the Mercedes guys on the forums say to not use a cheap one. The MBZ ones are about a grand with the next best one is $500! i'd be more than happy to rent it, leave a deposit, and ship it back after use

neliconcept
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I'll give him a call but i dont think he has a spring compressor. I know he used to have a wall mount one but that one is not at the house anymore.

elripster
11-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Man that's kinda funny about the spring compressor. My family has had numerous old Benz's a '63 being the oldest up to mid eighties. Well, my mom as a 04 but I don't think it will need springs anytime soon. My dad still has is manual spring compressors he used to change the springs in older ones. They are as low tech as it gets and they worked great. They must be at least 30 years old.

Other than say being pneumatic and easy, what is so great about an MB spring compressor? I mean a compressed spring is a compressed spring unless you over compress say one side and ridiculously deform it but that's pretty avoidable.

Frank

Seanz0rz
11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
thats what i was thinking...

Bob98SR5
11-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Man that's kinda funny about the spring compressor. My family has had numerous old Benz's a '63 being the oldest up to mid eighties. Well, my mom as a 04 but I don't think it will need springs anytime soon. My dad still has is manual spring compressors he used to change the springs in older ones. They are as low tech as it gets and they worked great. They must be at least 30 years old.

Other than say being pneumatic and easy, what is so great about an MB spring compressor? I mean a compressed spring is a compressed spring unless you over compress say one side and ridiculously deform it but that's pretty avoidable.

Frank

frank,

on the surface, you would think it would not matter. but the W124 coil winds have very little gap between each other and the spring rate is very high. one guy on the forum who works for Union pacific thinks they have tension like locomotive springs (think he was exaggerating).

there's a pic of one spring compressor (cheapy) whose shaft had completely bent. wish i could find it.

about the mercedes compressors: the shaft goes on the inside from the bottom and have plates whose outer surface goes between the spring coils

now ive read a few more threads that say the springs can be removed by a combination of removing parts, jacking up the vehicle, etc. i say "hell naw to that" :)

edit: ok, here it is:
http://www.w124performance.com/images/tools/spring_compressor1.jpg

Seanz0rz
11-08-2007, 08:09 AM
last time i rented tools at autozone, i know there were some that fit on the inside of the coil. like you speak of.

that pic is of the harbor freight compressor, which are complete trash, not worth the metal they are made with.

on my tundra springs, which ive done twice, the spring rate is high and there is not alot of space in the coils to put the feet, but you can manage, even if you have to tap it in. there is no way that benz has stiffer springs than the front of a tundra...

elripster
11-08-2007, 01:24 PM
That would stuck to have those stuck on your springs.

Maybe these old ones are extra burly or something, not sure. Having the right tool is good though. If one of those let go on you it could be bad.

Frank