PDA

View Full Version : Failed "Test Only" smog check today :flipoff:

Marc P
06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
So for the 2nd time in a row I got flagged for a "test only" smog check for the runner....these suck because I can't get it done at my work (which makes it free). They make you go to these little hole in the wall places to get tested. These places cost about $45 a pop, with no retest.

So last year they wanted to fail me because my ISR pipe doesn't have the proper emmission "sticker"...so I asked for a little professional courtesy and he passed me.

This weekend I found all my old intake stuff and put it back on just so I wouldn't need to deal with it again. :flipoff:

Todays guy did all the checks and all was looking good...then he took out his timing light and told me my timming was way advanced and failed me on the inspection.:flipoff:

I will check it tomorrow. He said it was 26 deg BTC instead of 10??I have no idea why it would be that advanced...and why it wouldn't be running like ass.

reggie 00
06-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Did you make him show you.

I have had uptight clowns do the checks on my stuff before.

This one girl's was going to fail me cause my the hot air riser hose had slipped off the bottom of the air cleaner. I was like "Are you kidding me" and i reached in and slipped it back on. " i realize your test only but come on" Then she was going to gig me for no Carb # on the header. The crazy thing was she knew what kind of header it was and knew it was Carb Approved but because "I" couldnt tell her the number she was going to fail me. Got on the phone and had my Brother look it up.

Last test on the 90 i got gigged for timing, made that fool show me,I absolutely never believe a word they say, I'm Missouri fool "Show ME, just in case he was doing it wrong. It was like 5 off.

The whole smog things a joke.

MTL_4runner
06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
I will check it tomorrow. He said it was 26 deg BTC instead of 10??I have no idea why it would be that advanced...and why it wouldn't be running like *******.

I'd bet money he didn't jumper the diagnostic connector before he checked it like you're supposed to!!!
Take it back and ask for a little professional courtesy again because I'd bet it's fine.

Marc P
06-12-2007, 07:32 PM
It looked like he knew what he was doing...he did the jumper wire on the diagnostic port and double checked it. I am kicking myself for not looking while he was checking it.

Robinhood4x4
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
A smog shop questioned me about the ARB compressor and the blue lines running throughout my engine compartment. I told them it's for filling up my tires, I didn't think they'd know what lockers are and that would just confuse them even more. It says Air Compressor right on the thing.

MTL_4runner
06-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Get yourself a timing light and verify what he said he got.
If your reading and his don't jive, then bring your timing light with you and show him all is good.

ecchamberlin
06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
make any progress on this Marc?

Marc P
06-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I will work on it next week. I need to bring the truck to work and borrow one of the techs timing lights.

freejake3
06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Best of luck - those "test only" centers are a freakin rip-off.

Marc P
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
So I finally took my truck to work to figure out this timing issue that caused me to fail smog.

What we found is that something is wrong electrically with the data link, or the wiring to the processor. When you jump the 2 ports in the data link there is no difference in the timing. When you first start the truck it is at 10 degrees BTC, but right after that it jumps to 26 or so degrees.

I need some tech help on this one, as I am an electrical idiot. I may just take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

Tomorrow I will get the smog check done again, as I know it will pass.

Marc P
06-23-2007, 12:14 PM
IT PASSED!!! Yep, took it to a guy we use at my work when needed, and he passed it. He thinks based on what he saw that my TP sensor is bad. After reading posts on TOF and Roger Browns site, I believe him. I have been getting bad gas mileage and performance recently. I just figured my engine was getting tired.

Who has replaced one? Who wants to sell me one?

MTL_4runner
06-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Bad TPS, ok that would make sense why the timing would jump like that.

This should have everything you need to know when replacing it:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Did you take a DMM to it and check resistances yet?

Marc P
06-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I just went to Toyota and bought a new one.