PDA

View Full Version : Drop in overall maturity and intelligence

Peter
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I was visiting another website just a little while ago... I won't specify which.

Now don't get me wrong. I personally have nothing against most of the people on this particular website. I don't have the whole story so I won't pass judgment. A lot of the more senior members that I remember are also fine, too. What I have noticed, though, is an overwhelmingly lower maturity and intelligence level than I remember.

I do remember that when I used to visit this particular site more often - I would once in a while run into someone that I would just have to shake my head in disbelief at. Now, after an almost 9 month hiatus, I look and the stupidity outnumbers the rest!

Sorry guys, I had to rant. I miss the company of intelligent conversation.

EDIT:
Okay, before anyone responds... this isn't meant to be a bash on a particular website. This is meant more to be a sad realization of what can happen when a certain amount of maturity and/or intelligence leaves a collective that is gaining younger membership as time goes on.

calrockx
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Well Peter, I'm not gonna say I told you so, but you should have known better before revisiting poopyjokes.com.

Welcome to Ultimate Yota :thumbup:

MTL_4runner
06-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Yep, poopyjokes.com has just been going down the toilet lately. :spit:

AxleIke
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
It’s the internet.

Everyone is a douche bag on the internet.

People act tough, and post incorrect and useless information all the time. It is the benefit of having a computer screen between them and all the people they are pissing off.

I have never visited a truck website that was mature or intelligent.

As for poopyjokes.com, the majority of the idiots you refer to there have migrated here in past weeks, myself included. The "I got banned thread" was a perfect example. HORAY for drama!

Good thing you know what you'll have to look forward to.

This site will spiral down into the depths of mediocrity in a few short years, and then everyone will find a new place to infest.

You can't break the cycle.

oly884
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
You forget young one, we have my hole to throw them into...

calrockx
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
oh wow i was just using poopyjokes.com for its intrinsic value, but if y'all wanna assign it another connotation, who am i to argue with that one.

AxleIke
06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
You forget young one, we have my hole to throw them into...

I didn't forget about it, rather i think not enough of the threads on here are thrown in there. We have useless trivia threads, banned threads, this thread, all not in the hole where they belong.

oly884
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
you speak the truth, discussions will follow.

slosurfer
06-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I didn't forget about it, rather i think not enough of the threads on here are thrown in there. We have useless trivia threads, banned threads, this thread, all not in the hole where they belong.

If you don't like off topic, quit reading them and posting in them. :shake: My $.02

Peter
06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Oooookay... well I'm glad to see everyone can get along so well.
Axle, while I can see your point - everything is cyclical and it does *tend* to follow a certain trend (Pirate being an example), I have to say that poopyjokes.com (thanks Charles ;)) has a severe lack of follow-up now that there was not before.

Back in the glory days there were morons to be sure but the moronic behavior was reigned in by staff and other senior members that believed in policing themselves. There is specifically one thread I have in mind about something as stupid and inconsequential as defacing a sign that says Jeep Trail and the blithering idiocy that follows. It blows the mind how insanely immature that is... even more so than the typical high school drama that you tend to see. What are we now, grade school?

Sorry, ranting again. I don't know why that touches a nerve.

AxleIke
06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
If you don't like off topic, quit reading them and posting in them. My $.02

Only this one.

I really have no problem at all with off topic or post whoring.

I think it is good for people to talk about whatever they want, but expecting maturity on a truck site is silly.

I posted here to pad my post count, and to remind all that i'm an internet tough guy/webwheeler like the rest.

Peter, I see where you are coming from, but really, there are no senior members any more. They all got sick of stupid kids posting dumb things, doing hack job SAS's, whining about the cost of the sport, and the drama so they left. Most have just checked out of the internet scene all together, and they are the smart ones. All of these boards are akin to soap operas.

Rarely is there any new tech or product postings becasue everyone whines about cost. Mostly, these places serve as a place to hash drama, post pictures of trucks, and hate people we've never met, nor will meet based upon situations we don't understand.

I add to much of this myself. It passes the time.

MTL_4runner
06-13-2007, 04:13 AM
I really have no problem at all with off topic or post whoring.

I think it is good for people to talk about whatever they want, but expecting maturity on a truck site is silly.

I posted here to pad my post count, and to remind all that i'm an internet tough guy/webwheeler like the rest.

Grasshopper, you might also notice that posting here didn't add to your post count one iota either (yep, no "off topic" post whoring here). :laugh: Same thing with intelligence / maturity.....to make an analogy, if you don't have enough clever foxes around to keep the rabbits in check, they eat the scenery and all suffer. We have done some proactive things to prevent that from happening here as you've figured out by now.

My comment above was meant to be an obvious pun on what Charles said, but clearly some took it a different way.

You're right....the "I got banned" thread would normally have been thrown in oly's hole, but it was decidedly left to clear the air of all the drama that had been continuing over the past few months and it appears to have served it's purpose well. I think people appreciated a place to comment without fear of being censored or banned and it was kept very civil all things considered.

AxleIke
06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Grasshopper, you might also notice that posting here didn't add to your post count one iota either (yep, no "off topic" post whoring here). :laugh:

Ah, but you see, sensei, i have learned my lessons well, you missed my sarcasm is all. A minor problem with internet conversation, tone is lost.

I think you have done a good job of trying to keep things reasonable, but it doesn't keep all the drama lords from flowing over here. Afterall, i was given a membership! :D

MTL_4runner
06-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Axle, I should have picked up on the sarcasm just looking at your avatar. :rofl:

Texas Jim
06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I posted the "I got Banned" as bait and I hooked a big guppy!!! lol

The rest of that whole site is being run by a guy that drives a forklift for more bananas than you would have to pay a chimp to do it... So, I certainally see what you are saying about a lack of intelect and tact. TJ

Osiris
06-14-2007, 06:28 AM
http://www.plig.net/things/pictures/tn/hijack.med.jpg

Other than the hijacking, welcome to intellectual and knowledgable side.

Osiris

AxleIke
06-14-2007, 06:43 AM
welcome to intellectual and knowledgable side.

:rofl:

See, now this guy has a nice flair for sarcasm!

Osiris, that was very good.

fustercluck
06-14-2007, 08:05 AM
I am characteristically callow, so as a rule I participate in the lunacy. However, I do it from a position of distant rationality and awareness....sort of like prodding jello with a six foot length of all-thread rod. That's entertainment.

These fora are useful for more than digging in the dirt with our retirement funds and inheritances. We all come from different perspectives and provide or remove those qualities with our presence or absence. For that reason alone, the net and it various intersections, will always be fluid environments. As another suggests, this will always be the case. If this pool gets too hot or cold, I'll move to other accommodations.

I imagine thread participation will determine the over all atmosphere this body will tolerate......that, and Oly's hole. I've been there; it's not pretty :hillbill: