PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to look for when buying a used S/C

unr.grad
06-13-2007, 09:21 AM
I have a chance to get a 2nd Gen S/C w/ 60k on it. The seller took it off because the engine was having problems, this is what he told me:

"Toyota checked out the truck and it had low compression on the right side. They did a wet and dry test and concluded that it had possibly bad rings and needed valve work."

I asked him if the S/C had been acting funny at all and he replied:

"I had it checked at Toyota and they said it didn't appear that there was any
problem with the S/C, but they wanted it removed to eliminate it as a
possible cause. But like I said, after 60K mi or so on it I'd at least have
the nose rebuilt or something - get it check out so you know it's good to
go."

Could his engine problems have affected the S/C in any way? Should I not go for it? Anything else I should ask the seller? Also, could rebuild the nose myself on a second gen S/C, any advice or write-ups for a rebuild? Thanks guys

MTL_4runner
06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I seriously doubt the S/C has any problems and in fact it's probably why he's got problems with his motor now. :laugh: As long as you don't hear and excessive rattling or grinding and the oil in the nose has been kept at a proper level, it should be fine. You may want to have the nose on it rebuilt and have the bearings on the vanes regreased but that's up to you.

unr.grad
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, he did not have the 7th injector kit and from talking to him I don't think he had ever considered fuel mods so I didn't even ask him about if he went with URD. As far as nose rebuild, is that something I could do myself or does it need to be mailed off?

Thanks

mastacox
06-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I seriously doubt the S/C has any problems and in fact it's probably why he's got problems with his motor now.

BINGO! Yet another advertisement for fuel mods...

I would say you'll probably want to rebuild the nose drive, which can be done yourself with a kit from Manguson. Just remember, the oil in there will have a very pungent "burned" smell to it; this is normal, there is nothing wrong with the supercharger.

The nose drive takes 4 oz. of the oil, it is the same oil that Chevy uses in some of their blowers (which are also made by Manguson, the GM's use 8oz though). GM part number and other part numbers, I'm on the hunt...

MTL_4runner
06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't recall seeing anyone do a rebuild themselves on a 2nd gen S/C, but a 1st gen, yes.

Here's the list of parts for that 1st gen in case someone wanted them:
Front Bearing P/N: NSK 6204 ($3.71)
Front Oil Seal P/N: CR 7965 ($3.25)
Rear Bearing P/N: NSK 6303 ($6.27)
Lockrite Gasket Maker: ($6.00) - Anaerobic - 'for aluminum'
4oz S/C Oil: ($7.00 ) - from GM dealer

I've also seen at least 1 of the 2nd gen S/C fail so it would be smart to assume you need a rebuild and just factor that into your budget. Doing maintenance is alot less expensive than having to replace it most of the time. Only drawback is depending on what kind of a deal you're getting, it may be cheaper to just buy one that is very low miles or new than to buy a used one and rebuild. If you have the skills, you can also try the rebuild yourself but I wouldn't attempt it unless you were fairly mechanically inclined.

mastacox
06-13-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't recall seeing anyone do a rebuild themselves on a 2nd gen S/C, but a 1st gen, yes.

Yeah I found all of those part numbers, but I guess no one has done any kind of rebuild on a 2nd gen after all... oops.

Is there a fundamental reason why no one has rebuild a 2nd gen, or is everyone just afraid to be the guinea-pig?

MTL_4runner
06-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Is there a fundamental reason why no one has rebuild a 2nd gen, or is everyone just afraid to be the guinea-pig?

Brian, I could be wrong, but I don't believe there was any huge issue with rebuilding the 2nd gen S/C vs the 1st gen unit. As you pointed out most people are worried about damaging something and costing themselves more money than if they just had someone else do it for them (in this case just sending it to Magnussen for a full rebuild). The same issue often comes up for doing the tranny VB mod and I've never seen anyone do any trailblazing there either. If I had a S/C to rebuild and had a bearing shop nearby, I'd give it a try myself since someone has already found replacement bearings and seals. That at least tells you they were using off the shelf parts on the original design and more than likely so does the 2nd gen supercharger.

unr.grad
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm getting a pretty good deal on this, I think I'll go for it. I'll still need to piece together fuel mods before installing, so I can debate about the rebuild then. Thanks for the help. Anything more would still be appreciated. Thanks!