http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,282173,00.html

Am I missing something here?

AxleIke
06-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Look at her eyes....NUTJOB!

Its hollywood, what do you expect?

Euphorickaty80
06-15-2007, 09:41 AM
HaHa.....oh what is this country coming to?

oly884
06-15-2007, 11:23 AM
You know, as much as we wish that news was left unbiased, it's not, and will never be. However, when you have people across the country (both sides of the spectrum) touting free speech, and then they turn around and do things of this nature, I loose all respect for that person. No matter how hot she is. :D

As much as "Air America" can boil my blood when I listen to it, it's a free damn country. People like this only slow down the progress of mankind.

Cheese
06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
To go out on a couple limbs...

It is free speech when what you are saying agrees with the agenda of those listening.

It is not racism when you are the minority opressing the supposed oppressors.

I am pretty consistently amazed.

Intrepidyota
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Perhaps I am interpreting this completely wrong, but I don't see that what she did violated freedom of speech in any way. The job of an actress/actor is to play a role in a film or play, and possibly to promote that film/play, nowhere in that job description does it say "you have to expose your full personal life for the public". She is an actress, that is her JOB, why does that give anyone any right to harass her about her personal life? I do estimating and engineering, if I go to a job site to check out a floor that is sagging, I anticipate being talked to about the floor, not my personal life. She is offering an interview specifically about her role in the movie and nothing else, it doesn't seem unreasonable to require that they only ask her about that. Acting is a high profile job when you become famous, but that puts you under no laws that require that you disclose every bit of your life.

AxleIke
06-15-2007, 12:43 PM
To go out on a couple limbs...

It is free speech when what you are saying agrees with the agenda of those listening.

It is not racism when you are the minority opressing the supposed oppressors.

I am pretty consistently amazed.

Not as amazed as you'll be when, even though you are older than 21, I take away your freedom to drink responsibly by ripping a beer out of your hands!

Here's the thing: Hollywood people are nutjobs. Tom Cruise. Case in Point. End of story.

scottiac
06-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Actually, we (the tabloid consuming public) are the nut jobs.

It is obliquely our (collectively) fault that anyone even gives a darn about the private lives, political views, etc, etc of anyone in the entertainment sector.

People *buy* the tabloids with that kind of crap in it. People *watch* the completely inane media programs that "investigate" the off-screen existence of the entertainment professionals.

Freedom of the press wouldn't be a hot topic if the collective jackals that make up the media-consuming public didn't place such an absurd valuation on this kind of information that serves no one, and only exists to provide titillation to the unwashed masses.

Why? Why, people? Stop! Stop now and save our world! :chair:

AxleIke
06-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Why? Why, people? Stop! Stop now and save our world!

It'll never happen.

The people who care about that stuff are bored with their lives. I see this all the time at the Unversity of Colorado. Here, people starve them selves over issues that they are far too stupid to understand. Why? Becasue they are bored.

Not just "i don't have anything to do" bored, but so utterly, and completely mind-numbingly bored that casual sex, masturbation, hell, even smoking pot is boring. At this point, all they are left to do is care about famous people's lives.

Nutcases. All of em.

neliconcept
06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Why? Why, people? Stop! Stop now and save our world!

It'll never happen.

The people who care about that stuff are bored with their lives. I see this all the time at the Unversity of Colorado. Here, people starve them selves over issues that they are far too stupid to understand. Why? Becasue they are bored.

Not just "i don't have anything to do" bored, but so utterly, and completely mind-numbingly bored that casual sex, masturbation, hell, even smoking pot is boring. At this point, all they are left to do is care about famous people's lives.

Nutcases. All of em.

when you think about it, is it getting worse or has it been like this for decades? i really dont know but maybe me being apathetic might have to stop if it starts to screw a lot of things up.

oly884
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Actually, we (the tabloid consuming public) are the nut jobs.

It is obliquely our (collectively) fault that anyone even gives a darn about the private lives, political views, etc, etc of anyone in the entertainment sector.

People *buy* the tabloids with that kind of crap in it. People *watch* the completely inane media programs that "investigate" the off-screen existence of the entertainment professionals.

Freedom of the press wouldn't be a hot topic if the collective jackals that make up the media-consuming public didn't place such an absurd valuation on this kind of information that serves no one, and only exists to provide titillation to the unwashed masses.

Why? Why, people? Stop! Stop now and save our world! :chair:

I personally think we'd have a far better world if no one paid attention to celeb's lifes. And yes, I guess you could say I fell under that category for this. However, I simply point out the incredible hypocritical nature of people in this world. I read the news, keep up on current events, purposely do my best to keep away from anything to do with hollywood (unless it blows up), so reading this article has nothing to do with me giving a rat's ass about her, but more about me interested in the hypocritical nature of the human being. My question is, how can one make a movie about FREE PRESS, and then selectively choose who gets to interview her and what questions they ask?

I did see that they are now claiming it was her lawyer that made these choices and not her. Whether I believe that, I don't know.

Intrepid, I wasn't trying to say that she violated free speech, I was simply wanting to point out the hypocritical nature of her actions. It's much like going around saying that every one should care for the environment, drive green vehicles, etc, etc, but drive an SUV with poor mileage, own a MASSIVE house, and have several shares in oil companies.

I wouldn't take a person like that too serious, so why should I take Jolie's POV on free speech serious? (If it was her that chose this instead of her lawyer)

Cheese
06-16-2007, 11:51 AM
She was attempting censor of content related to her.

The line between truth, lible and slander is fine.

I could give a damn about what most of these people do outside of their profession, most regular people are not crucified for their actions outside the office unless they are illegal.

Isaac is right, it is people bored with their own lives and needing some other charge to keep them going.

Henrythewound
06-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Life is like high school for a lot of people. The celebrities are the popular kids and, for some inane reason, other people care a lot about what they're up to. It pisses me off to no end when CNN switches to BS coverage like this instead of focusing on real news. I know I know CNN and real news in the same sentence...

Peter
06-16-2007, 06:18 PM
There are definitely some issues here on her side. I can somewhat see that part of the argument because of all the turmoil around her personal relationships of late.

What I find funny is that the media is trashing her because *THEY* were the ones that got the short end of the stick this time. Do you remember the situation with Cheney shooting the lawyer? The biggest thing there was all the major media was pissed that they (Cheney and others) decided to release the information to small time media and letting the big players get scooped.

I'm not saying that these people aren't being stupid.
I'm saying that the media got pissed and they're having their little revenge now.

fustercluck
06-16-2007, 06:58 PM
I ignore celebrities. If Ms. Jolie weren't so pleasant to behold I'd find it easier to ignore her too. I'd rather fix my gaze on more productive subjects and just watch the leftists like a hawk out of the corner of my eye.

Celebs and their pie-in-the-sky kooky perspectives on their own are harmlessly abrasive. It is when they seek to leverage their position with the power of government that they become dangerous to personal freedom. At that point, I resist.

Ms. Hotness didn't harm her status with me. I didn't care much for her or esteem her value anyway.