PDA

View Full Version : ATF fluid

mkgarrison5
06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
hey guys, since i bought my 02 tacoma dbl cab 4x4 at 52k miles i have done the drain and fill twice (90k miles on it now). it had the original yota dex 3 atf fluid to begin with and the last two times i have used valvoline high mileage at 4-5qts per change.. would it be ok to continue using valvoline high mileage? i dont know whats good and what isnt when it comes to atf fluid. i wont do a flush, just drain and fills.. should i go back to the regular yota atf dex3? or does it really matter? thanks guys..i try to do the drain and fills every 15-20k miles depends on cash and time lol

KZN185W
06-19-2007, 05:44 AM
You might like to try Red Line High Temp ATF. It's Dexron III but far exceeds DIII reqts.

mkgarrison5
06-19-2007, 06:07 AM
i dont have the $ for expensive stuff :-( .. i make teachers pay.. i do drain and fills every 15-20k miles.. wouldnt yotas atf fluid be fine or maybe valvoline HM? i have a mixture of both lol..

MTL_4runner
06-19-2007, 06:28 AM
MK, if it helps, I just started using the valvoline high mileage ATF myself to give it a try. Seems to meet the proper requirements (meets the Toyota type T-IV requirement for proper shifting operation). I just started using it but IMHO it should be just fine and the price is right so that's what I'll be using from now on. I'm also going to give the Valvoline Synpower full synthetic engine oil a try (I believe it is a type III but seemed to have decent UOA properties) so we'll see how that does as well.

mkgarrison5
06-19-2007, 06:44 AM
MK, if it helps, I just started using the valvoline high mileage ATF myself to give it a try. Seems to meet the proper requirements (meets the Toyota type T-IV requirement for proper shifting operation). I just started using it but IMHO it should be just fine and the price is right so that's what I'll be using from now on. I'm also going to give the Valvoline Synpower full synthetic engine oil a try (I believe it is a type III but seemed to have decent UOA properties) so we'll see how that does as well.

thanks mtl, i figured the valv HM ATF dexIII would be fine.. i have been tempting to use synthetics in the tranny but i dont see the point in gradually getting it in trough drain and fills at 15k miles. i beleive ill stick with the valv HM in my tranny. it cant hurt...... as far as motor oil i am dropping mobile 1 syn to valvoline HM or the Durablend.. the Durablend showed great UOA's consistantly compared to mobil 1 syn.. considering i change mine at 5k miles i feel comfortable with the price and quality with the durablend.... after 130k miles or so i may go strictly to the valv HM bc it also showed great UOA's.. better of all, its cheaper by far to mobile 1 and showed better #'s...

mkgarrison5
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
what kind of ATF fluid do you guys use?? i know the book calls for dexIII but some people run other stuff in there..