PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Armor

4RunAmok
06-19-2007, 08:29 PM
I have a 1999 4Runner 4WD... Offroading somewhere, I put a dent in the fuel tank and it's skid plate.

Is there a good armor replacement for the stock skid?

I've already replaced the fuel tank, and I picked up a new skid as well, and was thinking of reinforcing that one while the old one is pounded out and sort of protecting the new tank.

But I think I'd much rather have a good one intended to armor the fuel tank from my stupidity in the future!

Any idears?

ecchamberlin
06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
NObody makes one that I know of but lots of guys here have made their own.

4RunAmok
06-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey Eric, Nice 4runner! I don't have details about mine posted anywhere yet. Not too many changes as of now.

Gotcha on the make your own thing, I did get an extra skid plate to beef up, my friend can weld, so we'll weld on some angle bar and steel plates I guess... Ol well, thought someone might have saved me the work.

Thanks!

neliconcept
06-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Bud at Budbuilt will have gas tank skids coming real soon that I know, check out budbuilt.com

Albuquerque Jim
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
After years of abuse I finally replaced my stock skid and tank (it's nice having a gas guage again). I used a junk yard stock skid and welded a piece of 3/16" diamond tread to the bottom. It came out very nice, low cost and fit perfectly.

ecchamberlin
06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Good info about Bud making them. Everything that comes out of his shop is high quality.

Lee
06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
After years of abuse I finally replaced my stock skid and tank (it's nice having a gas guage again). I used a junk yard stock skid and welded a piece of 3/16" diamond tread to the bottom. It came out very nice, low cost and fit perfectly.
good call, i got one in mint condition off a guy on TOF a while ago, i need to weld on bracing and throw it on. my stock one looks like poop.

paddlenbike
06-20-2007, 12:13 PM
For those that are replacing their fuel tanks, you can drop it and pound the dents out from the inside. This is the "before" pic, now you can't tell it was ever dented in the first place.

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/4Runner/mods/gas_tank_mod2.jpg

Bighead
06-20-2007, 02:29 PM

And it gave you welding practice. Did it take any shots in Moab? I noticed mine did (among other things) after the post-trip inspection.

BruceTS
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
For those that are replacing their fuel tanks, you can drop it and pound the dents out from the inside. This is the "before" pic, now you can't tell it was ever dented in the first place.

That's what I used to do, until I finally punctured a hole through it.....

As for armor I built my own, had pictures posted at TOF........

BruceTS
07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
here's the one I built
http://bruce.calrockx.com/4runner/misc/fuel_skid.jpg

Lee
07-06-2007, 04:08 AM
looks good man. is that 1/4" or 3/16ths?

BruceTS
07-06-2007, 07:48 AM
It's only 11 guage or 1/8" you don't need any thicker

Lee
07-06-2007, 09:10 AM
thats what i was gonna say if it was one of the thicknesses i stated... its just dead weight if its more than 1/8th :thumbup:

Ric
07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
i know that Oleg makes them, http://www.irbisoffroad.com/ Ive seen his in person, VERY strong.. (not that anyone elses isnt) Im goning to have to replace my tank, then have them build the skid :thumbup: since they are local, will save on shipping