PDA

View Full Version : Looking for CO2 source in San Diego

ecchamberlin
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
:chair:
So I went and had my 10lb CO2 tank filled today for the very first time. Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $24.30 for 10 pounds of CO2! West Air in El Cajon.

Everyone talks about it typically costing around $15 so where are you guys getting it for that price?

Any help would be very appreciated.

jimbo74
06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
i think people are going to airgas... look for industrial welding shops

ecchamberlin
06-20-2007, 09:43 AM
That was my first stop actually. AirGas no longer has a CO2 tank on site because of insurance issues and they sent me down to West Air.

Bump for info

xonetruthcrewx
06-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Get your tank filled with nitrogen instead. Nitrogen is way better for you tires. There are no hot/cold tire pressures with nitrogen. I have a 76 cu.ft. bottle of Nitrogen in my truck. I can air up from 15ish lbs. to 50ish lbs. about 4 times before the bottle is empty. Then swap it out with a full one at work for free. If i had to pay to get it filled though, i would probably run VIAIR on board air.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0002-6.jpg

Bighead
06-20-2007, 02:25 PM
That was my first stop actually. AirGas no longer has a CO2 tank on site because of insurance issues and they sent me down to West Air.

Bump for info

That's wierd Eric. I wonder if it is a local thing for the SD Airgas. I just had mine filled at the Airgas in C. Springs and it only cost me ~$15. Is there any other place that jams CO2 cylinders for beverage vendors?

ecchamberlin
06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Get your tank filled with nitrogen instead. Nitrogen is way better for you tires. There are no hot/cold tire pressures with nitrogen. I have a 76 cu.ft. bottle of Nitrogen in my truck. I can air up from 15ish lbs. to 50ish lbs. about 4 times before the bottle is empty. Then swap it out with a full one at work for free. If i had to pay to get it filled though, i would probably run VIAIR on board air.

Cool set up. Bigger bottle than I would want but that rocks.

Will they put Nitrogen in a CO2 bottle? Seems like there must be some benefit to CO2 for all these co's to be selling them instead of Ni. Is Ni as stable as CO2?

Seanz0rz
06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
liquid nitrogen is a bit colder than co2, so i think thats why they use co2. and its probably cheaper to produce, etc. not sure about stability issues though.

i dont mind filling up with a compressor. the cool factor just doesnt exist, but since when have i been, or even tried to be, cool?

ecchamberlin
06-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Sort of off topic but hey it is my thread LOL

I wanted a CO2 tank because my 12v compressor is slow and I found that on longer day/weekend runs that had paved roads between trails that I would be aired down to 13psi and not fill them back up because it would take a long time and then we would need to air right back down. 25 miles on 13 psi is not safe and this way it will take a fraction of the time to fill up and be on the road between trails safely. Also if I pop a bead or someone else on the trail does We can reseat it with CO2.

Lazy I guess but we all wheel the rigs we can afford and prioritize our mods and equipment the way we choose.....

Still going to carry my 12v comp. as a back up.

slosurfer
06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Sort of off topic but hey it is my thread LOL

I wanted a CO2 tank because my 12v compressor is slow and I found that on longer day/weekend runs that had paved roads between trails that I would be aired down to 13psi and not fill them back up because it would take a long time and then we would need to air right back down. 25 miles on 13 psi is not safe and this way it will take a fraction of the time to fill up and be on the road between trails safely. Also if I pop a bead or someone else on the trail does We can reseat it with CO2.

Lazy I guess but we all wheel the rigs we can afford and prioritize our mods and equipment the way we choose.....

Still going to carry my 12v comp. as a back up.

I went with co2 because of the speed factor. I found that the family (especially little kids) would get antsy waiting for the compressor and sometimes the area to air up wasn't anywhere I would feel comfortable letting my 2 yr. old run free, so he would get all riles up because he had to sit in the car. Now it is fast and painless. Oh and I get mine filled at Airgas ~22 bucks for my 20lb tank.

ecchamberlin
06-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Man I got put to me paying more than what it cost you to have a 20lb tank filled. Going to do some hard looking for a cheaper SD source.

Ric
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
try a Fire Extingusher Co. we got one here (Denver) they will fill "my" 20# bottle for $12

ecchamberlin
06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Good thought. I will try that also.

I just did some calling around and AirGas Co. wants $22.30 for 10lbs. So not much cheaper there either. The search continues....

Ric
06-21-2007, 03:30 PM
also go to the 4x4 shops, they may know of a place thats cheaper, $22 bucks for 10#s is crazy

Marc P
06-21-2007, 07:03 PM
You might give Jeremy (Weldtec) a call....or call my buddy PJ at East County Offroad Center

ecchamberlin
06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I stopped and talked to Jeremy and he was the one who sent me to AIRGAS and since they didn't have CO2 anymore they sent me to West Air. So no go there.

All the places I have been to and called have asked me if I had an account with them. I wonder if they have diff rates for non account(cash) customers than people who hold accounts? May look into what it takes to open an account.

expatoz
06-23-2007, 01:03 PM
It would be intersting to know the issue of starting up an account.

I just switched over my (1yr old) 15lb CO2 bottle from AirGas which I seem to remember being about $25 back then, to an 10lb aluminium CO2 bottle which also cost me $25 from AirGas.

I was thinking the alum. bottle would weigh a lot less but its doesn't seem that much different although I haven't actually weighed the two (steel vs alum).

I might start looking for alternate suppliers too.

reggie 00
06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I stopped and talked to Jeremy and he was the one who sent me to AIRGAS and since they didn't have CO2 anymore they sent me to West Air. So no go there.

All the places I have been to and called have asked me if I had an account with them. I wonder if they have diff rates for non account(cash) customers than people who hold accounts? May look into what it takes to open an account.

Just from my experience with distributors there is a price difference from the average Joe to an account holder.

sometimes its pretty big. sometimes not

DEATHRUNNER
06-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Try Helium? Just keep it away from Marc.

ecchamberlin
06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Nice.

How are ya doin Seth? Deathrunner still for sale?

DEATHRUNNER
07-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Hell No.

My midlife crisis is over. I'm keeping it. Have a few mods planned...should make me happy again.

Otherwise, I am good. Life's been busy, but I plan to be out on the trail in the fall.

ecchamberlin
07-06-2007, 08:58 PM
All good news brother. Glad to hear it!

We are gonna have too much fun this fall!

slosurfer
07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Eric, did you find a good place yet? You could try one of those "DIY" brewery places, if they don't fill them, they should be able to tell you where.

ecchamberlin
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I should not need to refill mine for some time but it sounds like it is just a supply and demand thing here in SD. I called every joint I could find and heard of. Cheapest I found was 21.00. So not a huge diff.

Not a big deal really. It will last a long time.

Lee
07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
:chair:
So I went and had my 10lb CO2 tank filled today for the very first time. Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $24.30 for 10 pounds of CO2! West Air in El Cajon.

Everyone talks about it typically costing around $15 so where are you guys getting it for that price?

Any help would be very appreciated.
i paid 17 to fill my 15# tank!

ecchamberlin
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
You suck man. Must be a west coast thing for us. Nice havin a tank isn't it though?

Lee
07-10-2007, 03:29 AM
oh yeah! i had been dealing with my little air compressor which i would get SO bored waiting for :laugh:

ecchamberlin
07-10-2007, 05:06 AM
I still carry my 12v compressor as a spare but yeah the kid would have sit through the entire day of wheeling and then have to sit another 35+ minutes for that compressor. It is so quick now. I have noticed people will try to bum a fill from you though. Cool if they are buds but at the cost to fill a tank here....

you know!

Lee
07-10-2007, 05:42 AM
thats why i carry my old compressor... i hand that to moochers :laugh:

ecchamberlin
07-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey that is a great idea. I really like that.