PDA

View Full Version : Cooper S/T vs. Nitto T/G vs. BFG K/O

emptypockets
06-20-2007, 05:52 AM
Sometime in the next few months, it'll be tire time for me. I'll be going the 285 all terrain route on my stock 16x7" rims. I'd love to do m/t's but can't justify it since I only wheel about 5 times a year or so. I'm searching for a very aggressive looking all terrain so have narrowed down my choices to the above three tires and am looking for input, positive and/or negative about the above tires. Also, let me know if you have any fitment issues with these tires in the 285 size on stock rims. Pics are below. Thanks!

Nitto Terra Grappler
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/adman100/terragrappler.jpg

Cooper Discoverer S/T
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/adman100/discoverer.jpg

BFG All Terrain K/O
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d148/adman100/bfg.jpg

Cebby
06-20-2007, 06:15 AM
I've run a number of sets of the BFG's and have been very happy with the treadwear and performance. (I ran two sets of these on my 4Runner and currently have a set on my Grand Cherokee) 45k+ miles is not unusual.

Elton
06-20-2007, 06:43 AM
bfg's look great

emptypockets
06-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I love the look of the BFG's too - very aggressive for an a/t. I've read several places that people are having wet traction issues with them. The TG's get great reviews, except that they seem to wear quickly, especially on heavier vehicles. I just haven't heard much about the Coopers, but they look good.

YotaChic
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I had the Cooper S/T on my 97 4Runner (may she rest in peace). I wanted the BFG AT K/O, but at the time could not afford them. They looked great on my truck, and they rode well including what I felt was very good traction in the rain. I thought that they were wearing a little quicker than I had hoped, but then my truck got smashed and that was the end of that. I may have just been paranoid.

xonetruthcrewx
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Dont know about the Nittos or the Coopers but the BFG's have a 3 ply sidewall. Thats good stuff. Out of those 3 i would go for the BFG's. Have you considered a set of REVO's? Thats what i am currently running and i have been very happy with them. Between the REVO's and the BFG's you cant go wrong.

YotaFun
06-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I am currently riding on BFG A/T KO's and they are nice.
MY tread wear is bad due to the fact that I have a lead foot and I tend to launch the runner more then I should.
But still over all, there great.
Was driving in the rain last night and did perfectly fine.
I haven't personally had experience from the other tires,but from my experience with these particular BFG's I am a very satisfied customer.

Bob98SR5
06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
of the 3, ive only run the nitto terra grapplers. i cant compare them to the other two, but compared to revos, they are not as good as the revos. revos rode better. but damn, they are just too expensive now!

hillbilly
06-21-2007, 06:37 AM
I've got a set of Cooper S/T's Load C's back in Oct. They handled the winter snows and spring rains very well. Handling is good so far and my tread wear is only 1-2/32 since Oct. IIRC S/T's start out with 18/32 of tread, which is a couple more than other manufacturers. They handle sloppy/muddy conditions remarkable well, and if they hold true as the other Cooper's I've had, they may only need balanced once and rode silky smooth for nearly 5 years.

Matter of fact, I just had my S/T's Road Force balanced on the LC wheels I had PC'd. One had a road force of only 4lbs, while the others were in the +/-11lbs. range. Pretty damn good for a Load C aggressive tire....

oly884
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I've got 40K on my cooper's and they are near replacement (maybe another 5k or so) and that is mostly high way driving, long distances.

They've been through a couple montana winters and they have done nothing but great in the snow.

I've got a very large amount of use out of them and I'm debating whether I should get another set or not. The main reason I'm debating is the odd size of tires that I run (255/85/R16). Since there's a small amount of companies that make tires that big, I figure I may as well try them all out.

Seanz0rz
06-25-2007, 10:14 PM
i have the bfg's and they are great.

as for wet weather, we only got about 4 inches of rain this year, so i didnt see much, but when i did i never noticed the back end coming out or anything, felt very solid.

they are a great tire, and while i have no experience with any thing else, i think i would make the purchase again.

you will have problems fitting those 285/75r16 on the stock wheel, they will rub the UCA. i went with 16x8 wheels (dont remember my backspace, but i can look it up later)

mastacox
06-26-2007, 08:52 AM
In my experience, BFG A/T's excel in all situations (as well or better than can be expected from an all terrain anyway).

Some people prefer to go with "not-BFG" tires because so many people have them (which is fine I suppose), but in the end I have never heard of any tire that hands-down beats the BFG in performance, treadwear, and value.