PDA

View Full Version : Thump a lump as I turn the wheel..

Mister Willie
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
My 84 is making a thump thump sound as I turn the wheel. It doesn't make the sound as the truck moves through a turn (like on CV joints), but when I actually turn the wheel. Anyone have any clues to what this is? The truck has all the original equipment concerning steering. The hubs are unlocked.

Its an 84 with SFA and a 22R engine.

Robinhood4x4
06-20-2007, 06:08 PM
My guess is a U joint in the steering shaft. How many times does it thump per each 360 degree rotation of the steering wheel?

Mister Willie
06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
My guess might be once or twice per 360? I'll count tomorrow.

Seanz0rz
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
its probably a ujoint binding up on you. hopefully it has nothing to do with the box.

Mister Willie
06-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Is there a way to find out for sure? and please tell me the Ujoint in the steering rod is as easy as a drive shaft Ujoint..

Mister Willie
06-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok, I'm thinking it's not something to do with the Ujoints in the steering rod. When I hit slight bumps or dips in the road, it kinda makes the same thump/bump noise.

If i have to grease the knuckles, can I use the same grease I use to grease my driveshaft?(yikes) Does this grease work on all of the points that can be greased on the front end of my truck?

Robinhood4x4
06-23-2007, 07:48 AM
If the thumping is repeatable, get a friend to see where it's coming from. That's going to be the easiest way to find it. From your new description it doesn't sound like the knuckles, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check. If anything the trunion bearings are shot or the steering arms or bottom caps are loose. It might need a rebuild with new bearings.

You can use the squirt gun grease but I don't know how much that's going to help. There's no zerk fitting for the ball knuckle but there is a square plug that needs to be removed and a zerk installed. Then you can use your squirt gun.

I'd be looking at the steering components and the leaf springs. You have push pull steering which pushes on the front axle forward and backward. If your leaf spring bushings are shot or the shackles are loose you could get the same noise. Same with the steering components.

Mister Willie
06-23-2007, 09:59 PM
What... is the trunnion bearing?

Tomorrow after work I'm going to jack the truck up and have someone turn the wheels back and forth to see if I can hear or see anything.

One thing I noticed this afternoon was one of the boots is torn wide open. It's supposed to be covering the joint where the steering arm meets the .. spindle(sorry I'm used to my 90 4runner's suspension/steering)? its the arm that is directly connected to the wheel assembly. Could this be making the noise? I'm wondering because that little joint has to flex with the suspension, as well as move around during steering too.

Mister Willie
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Screw it. When it breaks I'll fix it.

Robinhood4x4
06-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Haha, that's the spirit. Roger brown has a good writeup on how to rebuild the front axle. It shows what the trunion bearings are. They're the knuckle bearings.

Mister Willie
06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Where is this.. Roger Brown?