PDA

View Full Version : Question about insurance / house - vechicle damage....

jrallan26
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
This afternoon I closed the garage door after coming home from work. I heard a big bang inside the garage. My garage door springs failed! Usually no problem but my truck was in the garage. My truck now sports some nice battle damage! Should I contact my homeowners insurance? Or should I contact my car insurance?

YotaGirl
06-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I would guess you should contact your homeowners insurance since it happened inside the garage and it was the garage door itself that failed.

gilby4runner
06-20-2007, 02:13 PM
my wife is in insurance and she has had to deal with a few things like this. It would be covered under your homeowners policy. It really all depends on your deductible and if is really worth taking out a claim... premiums are likely to go up with a claim. Call your agent and see what the best course of action would be.

Texas Jim
06-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Isn't it terrable how we all are afraid to use our insurance? Just because they will raise our rates.....It's kinda like why do we have it?? TJ

gilby4runner
06-20-2007, 10:50 PM
My point is that if the damage cost is a little over the cost of deductible then its worth fixing out of pocket. If it did a lot of damage then its a different story

bigwapitijohnny
06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Get an estimate on what the repairs would be at the stealership, crunch the numbers, then get custom bumpers (front and back), sliders, lift, new wheels/tires...you get the idea :hillbill:

Regards,

BWJ

jrallan26
06-21-2007, 06:00 AM
sounds like a winner...

Get an estimate on what the repairs would be at the stealership, crunch the numbers, then get custom bumpers (front and back), sliders, lift, new wheels/tires...you get the idea :hillbill:

Regards,

BWJ

jrallan26
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I went to 3 body shops. Guess what the Toyota dealer was the cheapest! The other 2 body shops have said that the scratches are so big they would have to paint both doors (drivers front and drivers rear to get a correct blend.

The dealer stated he would only paint the door with the damage (the driver front). I think I am going to go with the higher quote, since this guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about and by reputation alone. This guy does good work.