PDA

View Full Version : Cell coverage in SoCal...

expatoz
06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Pertaining to SoCal

Anyone who goes to Big Bear, Anza Borrego, Ventura County, and/or Death Valley and who gets reception in these areas, can you please post up your carrier.

I have Sprint I am so sick of its coverage. Everytime I go to Big Bear people with Verizon or Cingular seem to have less trouble getting a signal than me. Seems to happen in the other locations as well.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks
Mark

YotaGirl
06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I have Verizon and I can get coverage pretty much anywhere. The problem I have been having lately is with the phone. I have a razr and I guess those things are known for losing the signal. I may have to just bite the bullet and pay for a different phone.

Peter
06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I had Sprint ages ago and I'm not going back unless things change drastically. I changed from Sprint (had it for 3 months) to Pac Bell and when it turned to Cingular it turned to crap and I don't plan on going back to them unless things change drastically. I changed from Cingular to Nextel after about a year and a half or so. I stayed with Nextel for about a year and a half and changed from that to Verizon. Customer service at Nextel was TERRIBLE. I tried to get texting and my voicemail got cancelled. I complain about voicemail and my PTT was cancelled. ARGH.

I've had Verizon for about 3-4 years now and am VERY impressed with them. Their coverage seems to be satisfactory to excellent just about everywhere I need to go. Their customer service is hands down the best I've ever had. They actually called me BACK to apologize for taking too long to get an answer (I hung up) and gave me a direct line for me to contact the next day.

Good Times
06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
i have sprint but reception in death valley and anza borrego are slim pickings. big bear is better but just depends on what part of the mountain you're on. verizon by far has a great cell coverage around those areas you've posted. AT&T also comes pretty close behind though. i've thought about changing to verizon many times but just can't get myself to change as i've got a pretty sweet plan... doh! plus i don't offroad enough to change providers... figure someone on the trail will have a cell that works if not i've got my ham to get me out of a jam :)

calrockx
06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I was with Verizon and remember having good SoCal covereage...places like Mt High/Big Bear/Hungry Valley, I'd get reception.

I'm with Cingular/ATT now, so I hope it matches the Verizon coverage.

xonetruthcrewx
06-21-2007, 03:31 AM
Cingular here and Big Bear is all good. Dont know about the other areas.

ecchamberlin
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Also with Cingular and no trouble with coverage. Big Bear/Anza Barrigo/Superstition...

surf4runner
06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
mark, i have verizon and got no recp in DV but big bear and ventura(where i live) is fine.
at my dads house we only get recp in 2 places inside...and cant move or the call is lost

expatoz
07-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. Decisions, decisions...

SD4runner
08-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Verizon here. I get reception in Occotillo, Anza, etc. Also, I get full service throughout Baja. Of course a lot of dead areas, but, it works pretty well there too.

coreman23
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I live in Big Bear and Verizon is the best up here. I had cingular for years, but Verizon has much better coverage up here.

jrallan26
06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
When I was in LA a couple of months ago I noticed my ATT coverage was garbage near the ocean. I was told when you are close to the ocean all cell coverage is bad..

Tanto
07-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Poor cellphone reception near the ocean is a myth. If you have a pair of powerful binoculars and are watching a ship pull in, nearly as soon as you can see it you will see damn-near the whole crew talking on their cellphones.

I had good reception with T-Mobile in those areas and their customer service was very good (quickly connected to fluent english speaking operator). I have not been back to those areas with my new carrier, AT&T.

X-Tool Pimp
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I vote for verizon!! there the only comp. that I can get service at the Hammers