PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for Runner

hksjza70
06-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Planning to get a 4Runner Sport soon and I'm starting to formulate a plan for aftermarket mods on it.

I've read that +25 on 17x7.5 and 17x7.5 +0 will fit. (Please bear with me as I used to drive a Supra and a G35) I'm trying to get into either a Jaos wheel or a Large P.C.D. TE37.

Before I get started I'm planning to run a spacer type lift kit (3"/2") with the OE XREAS.

I'd like to run the TE37 at 18x9 +0 (size and offset for a 3rd gen. or tacoma) - volks recommendations are 18x8 +20 and the shape of the spoke looks terrible, but I don't know if that includes a lift. There is alot of talk about tire sizes rubbing the fender wells and upper control arms - running a lower offset (in theory) places the wheel out further from the control arm (but it's lower offset is counter productive since the wheel is an 1" wider). This also places the question in my head, when the suspension flexes - will I be rubbing fender well? Or worse yet, body?

I've got the same comments for a Jaos wheel, except their wheel is an 8" or 8.5" wide wheel available in a +20's or +0 offset.

Or can all the rubbing issues be resolved with conservative tire sizing?

Thanks

expatoz
06-23-2007, 12:38 PM
How about clarifying the following -

What year or generation 4runner are you buying - I assume your thinking a 4th gen becaiuse of the forum.
What is your intended purpose for using this truck - street crusier, DD, light offroading, aggressive offroading
Maybe a link to the wheels you are thinking of would help people know what your thinking of.

My initial thought is if you are wanting to run 18" you'll have to be careful about tire selection and the impact that will have on the type of use and also fitting it inside the fenders and also how much your willing to trim/cut.

Finally, I recommend you give a serious look to OME suspension as opposed to spacer lifts. Been there, done that.

Cheers
Mark

Good Times
06-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Welcome to Ultimate Yota!

If you're still in the planning phase of purchasing a 4th gen 4runner I would highly recommend and you avoid getting the XREAS if you are planning to lift your vehicle. Spacer technology works but unfortunately they are much more to desire to in terms of the performance and handling of the vehicle after the spacer lift.

Since you're looking at lifting, I would recommend either a SR5 or Limited Grade w/o the XREAS. Lookin into an OME lift or a variety of coilover companies as an alternative solution (which is more expensive but the feel can be much better than the OME depending on which configuration you decide).

If you plan to offroad at all, I would recommend that you stay away from large wheels as they take away (significantly) a lot of the rubber that you need when you offroad. More tire less wheel is your best decision as the rubber is what protects your wheels and adds additional traction when you're aired down.

If you don't plan to offroad then shoot I've seen people roll with 22's and 24's so anything is possible. I would highly recommend that you test fit prior to any purchase as even though it looks like it'll fit on paper it may out due to the mfg's measurements.

Good luck!