PDA

View Full Version : A/C losing cold air in traffic

cooldry
06-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Hey guys, I was driving in traffic yesterday and my A/C started losing cold air. The outside temp was upper 80's and the engine temp gauge was normal. It works fine as long as I'm not in a stop and go situation or the outside temp is cool. Hopefully it's just an A/C recharge issue.

Thanks

slosurfer
06-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Could be your belt needs to be tightened or a new belt. The belt may be slipping so at idle it is really inefficient. Worth taking a look at least.

MTL_4runner
06-22-2007, 11:33 AM
First, check your condenser and make sure it is free of debris. Next verify that the AC compressor is in fact cycling on and that it stays on constantly with the fan on full cold. If all looks good then next you should stick on a set of gauges and see what the high/low side pressures look like. More than likely you just need to evac the system and recharge but make sure to take it to a shop and have it done properly. Doing it yourself can cause ineffiencies due to moisture or air in the system which the pro machines can remove for you.

cooldry
06-22-2007, 11:41 AM
If I do need to evac the A/C, wouldn't it not work in regular driving conditions as well? It's pretty cold when I'm not in a stop and go situation. Would an evac of the system be worth trying before looking at the fan clutch?

MTL_4runner
06-22-2007, 11:50 AM
If I do need to evac the A/C, wouldn't it not work in regular driving conditions as well? It's pretty cold when I'm not in a stop and go situation. Would an evac of the system be worth trying before looking at the fan clutch?

If the AC is very cold on the highway, but not so when you're in stop and go traffic, then yes, it might also be the fan clutch or a slipping belt.

Good Times
06-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd have to agree, check belts first.

Robinhood4x4
06-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't know what year your truck is, but at least the older ones have an electric fan that comes on when the AC is on. Check that to make sure it's working.