PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

Swissdrums
06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
94 4Runner

The power steering has a whining sound coming from it when i turn the wheel...I fill it frequently and have searched for a leak. Woul you recomend replacing the whole system?
Thanks
-Mike

MTL_4runner
06-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Have you found the leak?

Often the screech comes from either a slipping belt or a PS pump running dry.

Swissdrums
06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Thats just it, its not a slipping belt, and the pump is not running dry. Its just doing it for no reason

jimbo74
06-22-2007, 07:15 PM
you fill it frequently? thats indicitive of a leak, lol

GSGALLANT
06-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Could be air in the system... Do you bleed the system if it's really low when you top it up? Open the PS reservoir cap, and have someone look for bubbles when you do the following. Start truck. Turn steering wheel to full passenger side lock. Hold at lock for 2 seconds (the pump will whine a bit when you do this... that's normal). Turn steering wheel to full driver side lock. Hold at lock for 2 seconds (the pump will whine a bit when you do this... that's normal). Repeat the side to side, hold at lock three or four times. If there was air in the system (which will have been evident by slight bubbling coming out in the fluid in the reservoir), this procedure should get rid of it.

Now, find and fix your leaks.

Robinhood4x4
06-23-2007, 07:55 AM
If you have a leak it's pretty evident from all the oil you can see on the passenger side wheel well. Jimbo has a point, you should almost never have to refill it. It sounds like you might just need a new one. There's a rebuild kit but I think it just replaces seals and it sounds like you need more than that.

SLC Punk
06-29-2007, 09:00 AM
My power steering is also a whiner. It doesn't leak. I just figure its noisy and reminds me of my old Ford.

Paul H.
07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Mine has started leaking. Not much, but it does leak. Is the pump easy to replace and is there a write somewhere to do this?