PDA

View Full Version : Regearing ???

YotaGirl
06-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for gears? We need to at least put in 4.88's. We don't have a ton of cash to blow, so we're looking for the most bang for your buck sort of thing. Also, does Marlin crawler make a differential that bolts on and has the gears and locker already put together? Justin seems to think he heard someone talking about this. Thanks for the help!

Jenn

BTW...has anyone ever heard of using a rock slider as a bumper? Any forseeable problems with that?

91_4x4runner
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
(Rockslider as bumper) That's probably not a good idea. A tube bumper would cost a similar amount and be designed for impact.

tulsa_sr5
06-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Yep, marlin sells them, along with trail-gear and a few others i have seen

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/pickup_diff.htm

I've been considering this option too, and wanting to ask Bob_sr5 if he had to do it over again would he mod his axle to take the e-locker, or just go with the pre-built 3rd from marlin.

YotaGirl
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Tulsa: Thanks for the link! So what I'm seeing there is the 4cyl 4.88 Lockright would go in the back and the and High Pinion 4.88 spool would go in the front. I noticed they don't offer a Lockright for the pinion. Are they using the spool because it's cheaper?

91 4X4: Good point. I was asking cause I could pick up a rock slider for $70. I wouldn't be buying a whole set. But I think your right, since this is also my DD I should have something more impact resistant. Thanks! :)

tulsa_sr5
06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't spool the front! Selectable up front would be the best, but I guess if you don't drive in snow a lockright up front could work.

AxleIke
06-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Look for Yukon or Precision gears.

Cebby
06-22-2007, 07:48 PM
JnJ - if you are not adding lockers right now, buy someone's factory 4.88 3rds and install them. I bought 4.10 ones cheap and had Yukon 5.29's and ARB's installed in them for around $2500 for parts and labor (DMG and I installed them in my 4Runner). I then sold off my 4.88 3rds.

slosurfer
06-22-2007, 08:01 PM
This is what you want and it is a dam good price too!
Front IFS with 4.88's and ARB locker (http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=117323)

Cebby
06-22-2007, 08:54 PM
That's a helluva deal!

blknblu
06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
How important is the $$$? A drop in from Marlin is nice, but expensive. They also don't do anything with 7.5 diffs ( I asked ) The nice part about a drop in is if you need the truck as a DD, you can get it done quick and are not at the mercy of the "set up" guy. At least you can drive around w/o the front diff if you had to. If you can take the time to look for something like Slosurfer posted that would be sweet. Also think about PORC
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/index.php
Per their prices:
8" R&P $130
7.5" R&P $180
8" Install kit $90
7.5" Install kit $125
4cyl Lockright $250
set up $150X2 $300 approx
so... $1075 for both diffs geared plus locked in the rear vs. $760 for Marlins 1 locked diff. You'll save dough but it is more of a PITA. Also, those PORC prices are lower on his e bay site and lower still if you contact him through Pirate. I think I got my lockright for $231 IIRC through e bay ( I wasn't hip to the Pirate thing at the time ) I'm not knocking Marlin by any means, it just costs more. Or you could use Marlin for the rear and rebuild the front with PORC parts for $1175 or so? Check my math on that one. Good luck.

YotaGirl
06-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Thanks for all of the help, guys! That is some great info. Justin and I will be going through all of the leads you sent our way. Hopefully we'll be locked and regeared soon. We'll keep you all posted on what we choose.

Blknblu: How do I contact PORC through Pirate? I am not a member yet, but if it will save me money, I'm all for it!

Robinhood4x4
06-23-2007, 07:37 AM
So what I'm seeing there is the 4cyl 4.88 Lockright would go in the back and the and High Pinion 4.88 spool would go in the front. I noticed they don't offer a Lockright for the pinion. Are they using the spool because it's cheaper?

What year is your truck? If it's got a front solid axle then yes the high pinion is what you want, although you don't necessarily need it. If you've got IFS then none of those diffs will fit in the front. You need a IFS diff. Your only options for the front are to buy gears and a locker and have them installed or find somebody who is selling a used one. You do not want a spool in the front of a daily driven vehicle. If you want to go for 5.29s my front diff is for sale, see my sig.

As for the rear, any of the 4cyl or V6 thirds will work. The V6 version is stronger than the 4cyl.

PORC is pretty cheap, I've bought from them before. You'll have to join pirate and PM them.

Cebby
06-23-2007, 10:00 AM
You can call Alex directly and tell him you want the Pirate deal.

PORC's number is 866-540-7672. Make sure you talk to Alex - awesome customer service from him. I bought my ARB's there as well as two winches.

YotaGirl
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Dang! You guys are so awesome! This is the best forum ever!!!! :bowdown:

My truck is an 86 and has IFS.

Robinhood: That sounds like a pretty sweet deal! I think we may consider going with 5.29's, now. Is the ARB an air locker or auto? How much do you think it would cost to ship to Hesperia, CA (the So. Cal High Desert). Depending on the cost of shipping, we just may drive out there and pick it up, we have some friends in Havasu we could visit on the way. :)

Cebby: Thanks for the heads up with PORC. Maybe we'll go with them for the rear.

blknblu
06-23-2007, 09:47 PM
You can call Alex directly and tell him you want the Pirate deal.

PORC's number is 866-540-7672. Make sure you talk to Alex - awesome customer service from him. I bought my ARB's there as well as two winches.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. But there you have it. What he said. Also, do you have someone for set up? If not, here is another idea to kick around: Buy Robinhood's front, come to Phx to pick it up, bring your parts for the rear, and have Zuk set it up while you're here.

YotaGirl
06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Justin was wondering if the 5.29's would affect our fwy driving? We are currently running 33's. If we got the 5.29's we would probably swich to 35's in the future, but not for awhile since the 33's still have a good amount of tread.

Robinhood4x4
06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh shoot, I just thought of something. My diff is a ADD diff. Does anybody know if it can be used with an older truck? I think it can.

ARB's are selectable air lockers. Fedex isn't working right now for some reason but shipping was surprisingly cheap to SLO. I think it was around $70.

5.29s and 35s are considered the perfect match for a manual tranny.

slosurfer
06-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Oh shoot, I just thought of something. My diff is a ADD diff. Does anybody know if it can be used with an older truck? I think it can.

I think there is an article floating around on how to disable the ADD on it.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/ or you can just ship that diff to me and it will plug right in on mine. :D

914Runner
06-24-2007, 05:04 AM

IIRC, all it takes to make a ADD diff non-ADD is the swap the ADD tube with the actuator on it with the non-ADD tube. I would think you would have to swap out the inner axle too so it doesn't have a coupler on it.

Robinhood4x4
06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Right, but will an ADD diff bolt up to an older truck? I know I can disable the ADD or switch out the tubes, but does that mean it will bolt up? I think it will, but I'm not sure.

slosurfer
06-24-2007, 09:28 AM
It should bolt right up. AFAIK, the mounts are the same. I know people go from ADD diffs to non add diffs. I have a nonadd diff waiting to go in mine. Looking at the mounts, they all look the same. The tubes are all the same lengths, etc.. so it shouldn't be a problem. ONe thing that may be different would be the bolt pattern where the driveshaft bolts to the diff.

Robinhood4x4
06-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks Chris, that's what I thought too.

If anybody is interested in my diff, I'll take a closer look at my driveshaft pattern. It's not in a convenient place right now.

I'll also throw in free shipping to anybody in CA. (nudge nudge chris...)

Cheese
06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Same diff, different day.

100% sure, bolt and go.

Cebby
06-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Same diff, different day.

100% sure, bolt and go.

Yep, I went ADD to non-ADD - only difference is the tube with the ADD actuator.

Cebby
06-26-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=118832 - cheaper, but Robinhood's with the ARB is a better buy.

Having Zuk set up the rear is a stellar idea.

YotaGirl
06-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the link, Cebby. Yeah, I know Robinhood's is a better deal. I looked at the prices of the ARB lockers. Wow is all I have to say about that. The thing is, I don't have an air compressor to run the locker with and also, I know if I have an air locker up front I'm gonna want one in the back too and that'll be another $700. I just don't think I have the money for that right now, especially since I have to get a new clutch and a new cooling fan, too. Arrgh. Why can't I win the lottery?!!

YotaGirl
07-18-2007, 12:17 AM
I have decided to buy Robinhood's front diff. We are also going to go with an ARB in the rear (might as well do it right the first time). Right now I'm checking out different gear installation shops. I met someone today at the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers safari night. He owns Reduction Box 4X4 Shop. I haven't heard anything about them except that they specialize in Toyotas. Has anyone here heard anything? I want to have everything installed right so I don't have problems later.

Robinhood4x4
07-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Search around on pirate and see if anybody uses them.

89trailrunner
07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
If you're on a budget, try searching craigslists and other boards for factory 4.88's. Even car-part.com will show you local yards that may have them. I scored my rear diff from a guy parting a 4runner for $100, (he wasn't a wheeler) which is way cheaper than any of the alternatives...