PDA

View Full Version : Attention ALL Firestik owners...

bigwapitijohnny
06-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Greetings...I had a question regarding the placement for my firestik antenna. My power antenna has finally broke after many years of service :(, so I have decided to get a Firestik II, matchmaker antenna splitter (AM/FM/CB), and a stud mount. My dilemma is as follows, it seems that if I place this on the rear bumper, it would seem to rub on the hatch every time that it is opened :headscratch:, how do you guys deal with this issue? If so, will this contact rub the paint on the hatch eventually? Will I have to hold the antenna every time the hatch is opened? Please let me know of any and all solutions that you might have. I may have to mount the stik on the front bumper...Thanks in advance for you time and response...

Regards,

BWJ

slosurfer
06-24-2007, 08:47 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Garcia%20Ridge%20May%2007/IMG_5683.jpg

It is a tailgate bracket and holds the antenna out of the way of the tailgate (or hatch on a 3rd gen). I also have the quick release so that I don't have to always have the antenna on there.

Also, this writeup should help
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=388.msg11694

Bob98SR5
06-24-2007, 09:25 AM
or what i use is a spring mount. just bend it out of the way

Seanz0rz
06-24-2007, 10:40 AM
i have it mounted in that location with a spring, it just isnt practical to bend it each time you open the rear hatch. some dont use it very often, i used it daily.

i have a quick release and i just take it off and throw it up on my roofrack or put it in the cab. i am making a tube that will be attached to my rack so i can store it up there instead of the sling between seat backs and the cargo cover.

i am going to move the mount to more along the side of the truck, about half way between rear and the rear wheel well.

jimbo74
06-26-2007, 08:40 PM
i would say a sping, quik mount and a tennis ball

slosurfer
06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
i would say a sping, quik mount and a tennis ball

exactly what I have :thumbup:

Seanz0rz
06-26-2007, 09:27 PM
i use a nylon strap to keep it tethered to the roof rack, the only time it has enough energy to bend and hit the body is when its whipping around uncontrolled. with the strap it can never really move far enough to gain enough energy to do damage.

drguitarum2005
06-27-2007, 06:44 AM
when i had mine on the back of my 4runner it would rub a little but it would only take a slight bend to get it out of the way, no big deal if you ask me.

BruceTS
06-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I got tired of breaking off my 4' sticks, so I went with a 2' and haven't had any issues since. But then again mine is mounted of the front bumper......