PDA

View Full Version : Can my TJM be saved?

Bob98SR5
06-24-2007, 10:54 PM
As some of you read by now, I got in a little fender bender. My TJM's left side and the bracket/mounts took the brunt of the damage. I did not declare the bumper in my policy, so I did not get it replaced.

So the big question is, "can this be salvaged?"

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/collision/004.jpg?t=1182751072

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/collision/005.jpg?t=1182751168

im all ears and open to suggestions. i took off the wings and they are still in good shape. my thought would be to cut the left side of the bumper off and try to hammer or press that section back into shape somehow. or the other thought would be to take measurements and recreate that section again.

bob

Intrepidyota
06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
That sucks! I guess my first question would be, why won't they cover it? Declared or not, it is pretty obviously on your truck, it is pretty obviously damaged, and probably isn't much more expensive than a stock bumper and lights. :screwy: Have you actually asked if it will be covered yet? Perhaps demand that they pay you for a new stock front bumper since you obviously can't use this one anymore? It seems like they should have to pay SOMETHING since no matter what a bumper was destroyed.

Otherwise, I am thinking it looks pretty unsalvageable. :( Maybe with a lot of heating, pounding and praying you could get it almost normal...

Bob98SR5
06-25-2007, 03:26 PM
clarification: they did pay for a stock bumper but not the tjm

bamachem
06-25-2007, 03:39 PM
so, they put a new stock bumper back on ($600+) but wouldn't spring for a TJM ($500)? call them up and tell them they're a bunch of bean counting idiots. for a complete stock bumper (assuming new from a dealer), you would need the metal bumper, the upper and lower valences, blinker assemblies, bumper impact bar, bumper brackets, mounting bolts, and about 3-dozen misc screws, tabs, etc. when i checked on my bumper for my limited (painted), it was over $900 for all the parts and the paint.

after that, looking at your bumper - sure, you could "salvage" it, but to be honest, it will never be the same. for what you can just buy one from sonoran steel for, i would just send that one to a scrap metal pile and get a new one, then ebay or craigslist the new stocker that the idiotsurance company put on there.

just my $0.02, don't spend it all in one place! ;)

MTL_4runner
06-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I agree with Andy that bumper is probably tweaked beyond repair (or at least beyond a reasonable efforts worth to repair.....I doubt it will look as good as a new one if you did rebuild it). I'd just send it for scrap and sell the new stuff on craigslist or ebay like Andy mentioned. It sucks, but I think that would be the smart thing to do.

neliconcept
06-25-2007, 05:12 PM
I agree with Andy that bumper is probably tweaked beyond repair (or at least beyond a reasonable efforts worth to repair.....I doubt it will look as good as a new one if you did rebuild it). I'd just send it for scrap and sell the new stuff on craigslist or ebay like Andy mentioned. It sucks, but I think that would be the smart thing to do.

hopefully Bob will get half of what the insurance payed for it to get his tjm back, ive seen bumpers go for only like 400 on ebay.

that is some BS!! they should have gotten the TJM for you

Cheese
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Could it be? Sure, metal just takes time and more metal to fix.

Should it be? Throw a new one at the truck. Time and energy would be better spent bitching and pursuing TJM replacement.

Bob98SR5
06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
guys, it is by choice that i did not buy the tjm! i wanted to see if i could salvage it and keep the remainder for the deductible, get it? so lay off "the math is wrong" and "you got screwed" talk, capiche!?!

now, i think there is a growing consensus that this is more trouble than what its worth to get it back into shape

i may pursue other things like building up my truck some more and making a tube bumper too. i have plenty of time to decide

bob

Seanz0rz
06-25-2007, 07:50 PM
id take it off your hands for 30 bucks

Bob98SR5
06-26-2007, 11:53 PM
...and ill decline that low ball offer :)

slosurfer
06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Bob, I agree just get a new one. Keep that one and cut that one up and make some stuff. There is probably enough straight material on there for gas can holders, etc.... Use some of it to beef up the brackets on a new TJM.

BruceTS
06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
It can be fixed, just depends on if it's worth the time vs. getting a new one. If it were mine, I'd be fixing it and making mods for turns and fogs. It probably looks worse than it really is, since the mount is bent. The easy way would simply cut out the front piece, then straighten the rest. Weld in new metal and cut out for a turn signal.

MTL_4runner
06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Bruce, I was waiting to see what you'd say on the subject.

It's really hard to tell from the pics without being able to put a straightedge to the bumper and verify what is still flat and what isn't. I'm sure the mounts are tweaked badly, but how many of the other flat surfaces have been tweaked too (since the bumper was probably jig built many of the sheets may be wavy after the rebuild), who knows?! Someone with alot of patience and welding skill could definately bring it back, but like everyone mentioned, what is the time and effort worth? I think only Bob can answer that question. I know if it were mine I'd just sell it off to someone as a rebuild project and buy a new one for myself.

waskillywabbit
06-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Sure, anything can be "fixed" but from a cost perspective considering fabrication time and money, I wouldn't waste either on it.

:guitar: