PDA

View Full Version : Time for a primary career (Airline Related)

callmej75
06-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Now that I have saw the outcome of starting the powder coating business, it just isn't cutting the mustard now days. Maybe I can do it as a side thing but not as a primary source of income.

Since I have been in the Navy, I went to school for structural repair of airframes and hydraulic repair and service. I am familiar with some things in the hydraulic systems but I need a good brushing up on a lot. My primary job in the navy was corrosion control, paint, and insignia applications which I also went to school for while I was in the Navy at The Naval Aviation Depot in Jacksonville, FL.

Since getting out of the Navy, the only place where I applied some of those skills in corrosion work was at a shipyard in Jacksonville, FL known as Atlantic Marine and Drydock. I worked there for a good year and managed some non-english speaking Bosnian Serbs.

Since then, I have went to college for 1 year and took a few classes into trying to obtain a degree in Engineering. Then life and children happened full time so I came to the call of that responsibility since their lazy mother wouldn't. I still want to take classes here and there, but I just need a steady career with some benefits besides for the VA which has been really crappy to me.

So heres the question...where do I start looking for a career in the airline industry applying some of these skills in or around Roanoke, VA? I don't have the first clue as to where to search for this stuff so maybe some of you guys do. I'd appreciate any help you guys could offer.

kmcc78240
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Call up some local flight schools or FBO's (fixed base operations), ask where they have there planes painted? FBO's are places where pilots fly in to to get gas park the plane, etc..

Passenger terminal & lounge, internet , 24 hour maintenance, avionics installation & repair, US customs, pilot's lounge, oxygen, courtesy transp., rental cars, conference room, flight planning equipment, WSI system, aircraft sales/brokerage/parts/charter. 24/7 Read more.
Ph: 800-768-4401

from http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/KROA.htm

kmcc78240
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
where is a link to all sorts of aircraft services

http://www.acmp.com/aircraft_mrofbo_index.php?sid=57

jimbo74
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
this might sound a little bit odd, but FedEx

i work for fedex express and we have mechanics that guide the planes in and out @ the airports, apply decals and do preventative maint on them including stuff like decal application and things like that....

callmej75
06-27-2007, 03:53 AM
this might sound a little bit odd, but FedEx

i work for fedex express and we have mechanics that guide the planes in and out @ the airports, apply decals and do preventative maint on them including stuff like decal application and things like that....

True....I'll check into that jimbo...they always gotta Fedex at most airports!

hillbilly
06-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Have you checked around the local airports (both big & small) for aviation painters around Roanoke, VA?? I know of one, privately owned, complete aviation paint/restoration shop in Wheeling, WV. My best buds Dad owns/runs it and has clients from across the country.

callmej75
06-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Have you checked around the local airports (both big & small) for aviation painters around Roanoke, VA?? I know of one, privately owned, complete aviation paint/restoration shop in Wheeling, WV. My best buds Dad owns/runs it and has clients from across the country.

I emailed one small aviation place at the airport last night trying to get some info. If we could afford the move back to WV I'd say hook me up!

jrallan26
07-04-2007, 06:06 AM
One question:

Is there a "hub" close to where you live?

jimbo74
07-16-2007, 11:38 PM
One question:

Is there a "hub" close to where you live?

me? yes, i am at the oakland metro airport in CA its fedexs third largest hub in the US, second to indiana and memphis