PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Opinions?

YotaGirl
06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, after last weekend I need a new clutch in my truck. I did some searching and it seems that my top two choices are either the kit WabFab supplies or Marlin Crawler's. I was leaning toward Marlin's but a mechanic friend of Justin's told him that a heavy duty clutch would cause problems. He wasn't specific on what type of problem, so I wanted to throw the question out to you guys. Would it be worth it to go with the heavier duty clutch? The last clutch only lasted about 40K miles (granted it was the cheapy auto parts store brand) and we don't want to keep replacing clutches. Any info you have about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jenn

tulsa_sr5
06-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Personally I'd go OEM unless someone else chimes in with good reasons to switch. Pricing out the same parts the marlin kit includes on toyotapartsales.com looks like $215 or so? I haven't heard any complaints about the stock clutches wearing out quickly, as far as I can tell they seem to be lasting 70-100k. I'm interested to hear what everyone else says, especially from anyone who has worn out a stock clutch & can say exactly how many miles it lasted.

As far as problems with the aftermarket ones, the only thing I've heard is that the ceramic ones are really grabby. Makes them a little tougher to drive smoothly, but you didn't say anything about looking at those.

YotaGirl
06-26-2007, 07:54 PM
The prices I've gotten thus far are:
$149 for a stock clutch from WabFab
$179 for a heavy duty from Marlin
$199 for a super heavy duty from Marlin.

The difference in price is so little that if there are no forseeable problems getting the heavier duty, it seems that would bt the way to go. I just don't want to start breaking other stuff on my car because of a strong clutch.

jimbo74
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
you arent going to break other stuff because you have a better clutch...

if its street driven get a non ceramic clutch

i run marlins 1600 and it is the best clutch i have ever used.

i used to have a centerforce dual friction, and it was not as good as the marlin, it was quite grabby, like a ceramic clutch

nothing can hold a candle to the marlin line of clutches

YotaGirl
06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys, these are just the type of reviews I was looking for! Keep em coming!

YotaGirl
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Bump for more info/opinions