PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about removing diff drain and fill plugs...

rocktown
06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
I was attempting to remove the fill and drain plugs with a ratchet and was not having much luck. I was using a 12 point socket, so i decided to go buy a 6 point because i dont want to strip the bolts and i used quite a bit of PB blaster so when i try again i may have better luck. My question is, if i am still having difficulty removing the plugs by hand, would it be a bad idea to try to use an impact wrench? Just wanted to know if anyone else had to resort to using an impact wrench and how that worked out. Thanks in advance for any input.

AxleIke
06-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I have to use a breaker bar on both fill plugs and my front drain. 24 inch. I use a 15/16 socket.

I had to drill out my rear one, then put in a low pro, had to drill 2 of those. On my third, and can still use a dremel to clear out the allen head

MTL_4runner
06-28-2007, 11:38 AM
As long as you use the correct size socket (obviously 6 point only.....I've never seen any 12 point impact sockets but you never know) and the plug isn't too badly rusted (ie socket fits tightly) using an impact might be the best way to break it loose. I used an impact on mine and it worked great. If you leave it to soak overnight in the PB it should come right off with the impact gun.

ChickenLover
06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Whacking the bolts with a hammer a few times might help too. I would definitely work on the fill plug first. If you can't get that one off, you'll have a hell of a time filling 'er back up.

MTL_4runner
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Whacking the bolts with a hammer a few times might help too. I would definitely work on the fill plug first. If you can't get that one off, you'll have a hell of a time filling 'er back up.

Good point.....if you can't get the fill plug out first, just leave it alone.

rocktown
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, i've been spraying it with pb and hitting it with a hammer. If i still can't get it off by hand i'll try the impact wrench. I'm kinda worried about the front diff too, but i'll deal with that when i get to it...

Elton
06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
good luck getting the front drain plug off i soaked mine for 2days with pb blaster well there is pretty much no way to get it off if toyota would of used a bolt instead of a stupid hex bolt

xonetruthcrewx
06-29-2007, 03:28 AM
apply some heat around the plug with a torch. the plug should come right out after that. i used to have an old nissan truck and i was having a hard time getting a drain plug out. impact wouldnt do it, 24" breaker bar wouldnt do it. In the end, i applied a little heat around the plug and it came out very easy with a regular 1/2" ratchet. Good Luck.

Intrepidyota
06-29-2007, 04:14 AM
On all my trucks, '98 taco, '01 tundra, and '85 4runner, whenever one is stuck on, I put a ratchet on it and smack the handle a couple times with a heavy hammer, that is usually enough to shock it loose. Impact gun should obviously do about the same. Even here in NE where rust runs rampant, I have never seen that method fail, even on a front diff, just make sure you use the correct size and make sure it is in securely, hold the end on the plug in place with your hand so it doesn't slip and strip.

Lee
06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
yeah i had no issues getting any of mine out using heath's method mentioned above, even with our ridiculous rust. :thumbup:

Cheese
06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Good advice here.

I am impressed they were that hard to get out. You have done diff service before? I usually run my plug down with a 1/2 ratchet and need a little gumption to get it back off.

Also, emphasize the mess with fill FIRST. Getting the drain, draining it and being screwed on the fill sucks.

The Low Pro plugs are great in theory. I would rather have to clear to get a socket on then mess with those damn allens. I wheeled my Toy axles hard enough to kill that ring, but no worries on the plugs.