PDA

View Full Version : VSC , TRAC and the CEL lights are stuck on???!!!

strongasanoxx
06-29-2007, 07:20 AM
So a while ago i turned on my car and the VSC, TRAC, and CEL are all on!! So i took it too a friend of mine and he said that the traction control is still working but he cant reset the codes because there is a short some where in the electrical system. So he said not to worry about it. So now I have a baby on the way and I need to be sure the car is in tip top shape! What should i do. I want this light gone but i cannot afford to have a massive payment. Should I leave it alone? Is there any way to be sure that the traction control is still working?? Please give me guidance. Thanks!

Chad

Lee
06-29-2007, 07:36 AM
ugh. this means you need to get the code pulled to find out what the problem is. i suggest you spend 60 bucks on a code reader and get the code yourself rather than paying a shop to do it. you can alternatively go to autozone and get the code pulled free.

then come back and tell us what the code was.

likely your trac control is just fine, the vsc lights come on every time the CEL is on.

strongasanoxx
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
the code was p001135

MTL_4runner
06-29-2007, 07:58 AM
the code was p001135

Was it P0135 or P1135?

Probably P1135 since your truck is a 2001.....time for a new A/F sensor.

strongasanoxx
06-29-2007, 08:03 AM
i believe it was p1135. So with whatever the problem is... does it NEED to be fixed? If it doesnt will it cause more issues? What are the effects of not fixing it?

MTL_4runner
06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
i believe it was p1135. So with whatever the problem is... does it NEED to be fixed? If it doesnt will it cause more issues? What are the effects of not fixing it?

No, but not fixing it will hurt you fuel economy.
Just get a new one from URD.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_13&products_id=430006000

strongasanoxx
06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Ill probably give that a try. Thanks!!

Lee
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
yeesh. fix it!!!!!

whats with people not wanting to do maintenance on their trucks? just fix whats broken and she'll always be good to you.

strongasanoxx
06-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I understand what you mean guy. But its not a matter of being lazy and not wanting to do maintanance on my truck. Its a lack of money thing. I am 20 years old with a baby due in August working on comission as a salesmen. And im not complaining in saying that. Im just trying to put the point accrosse that im not being lazy. Thats why im trying to go cheap for now. Maybe in a couple months ill be able to keep up better with this stuff. But for now its tough

Lee
06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
gotcha, but really you should fix this asap. the problem with issues like this is if your mpg's start to really take a nose dive youre spending money on gas that couldve been spent on fixing it, and beyond this if something else is causing your issue you wont know till you have it fixed.

mkgarrison5
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
whats an AF sensor?

strongasanoxx
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
WELL I AM DEFINATELY GOING TO GET THIS O2 SENSOR AND PUT THAT IN AND SEE IF IT HELPS. mY MPG'S HAVE DEF GONE OFF THE DEEP END SO WE'LL SEE

BruceTS
06-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Manufacturer DTC P1135 (for Toyota) means A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Set when the heater operates, heater current exceeds 8A or heater current of 0.25A or less).
The A/F sensor contains a ECU-controlled heater. At start-up, the heater helps warm the A/F sensors to quickly operating temperature. With minimal exhaust gas flow, the heater keeps the A/F sensor from cooling down.
Take a look http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us10226.htm
Checking Resistance.
a. Disconnect the A/F sensor connector.
b. Using an ohmmeter measure the resistance between terminals +B and HT. Resistance: 0.8 - 1.4 ohms at 20°C (68°F). If the resistance is not as specified, replace the sensor.
Torque: 31 ft.lb
c. Reconnect the A/F sensor connector.

Now with that out of the way, it may not be the problem..... since there are many similar failures that will toss out the same code. Without knowing what code was tossed, but just seeing the VSC.TRAC and CEL lights on, I'd first assume one of the wheel sensors was malfunctioning, this would cause all 3 of them lights to come on at the same time. I would first test the A/F sensor before spending the $$$ to replace it.

Lee
06-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Now with that out of the way, it may not be the problem..... since there are many similar failures that will toss out the same code. Without knowing what code was tossed, but just seeing the VSC.TRAC and CEL lights on, I'd first assume one of the wheel sensors was malfunctioning, this would cause all 3 of them lights to come on at the same time. I would first test the A/F sensor before spending the $$$ to replace it.
bruce, the vsc and trac lights come on with EVERY CEL in 01+ 4runners. it can be the gas cap and they'll still come on.

BruceTS
06-30-2007, 06:25 PM
bruce, the vsc and trac lights come on with EVERY CEL in 01+ 4runners. it can be the gas cap and they'll still come on.

boy they really screwed up on the newer models then......

Lee
06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
yeah i don't really get why its that way either :(

MTL_4runner
07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Bruce is right to want to test the A/F sensor first, but for the average person it often requires more equipment and skill to test everything than to just do the part replacement. That P1135 code is pretty common to go bad over 100k miles and is often signalled by a drop in fuel economy, both of which you had mentioned earlier. If it was my truck and I didn't already have a graphing OBD code reader, I'd just change the part, reset the codes and drive it until the CEL came back on.

.....for MK A/F sensor => Air / Fuel sensor