PDA

View Full Version : BBQ tech

Robinhood4x4
07-03-2007, 05:46 PM
We're looking at getting a nice stainless steel BBQ for the backyard but they all look the same to me. What are the important features to look out for? I'm leaning toward the costco one for $400, but $400 is right on the edge of what I'm looking to spend.

firebane
07-03-2007, 05:53 PM
it depends how much you cook and how big you cook.

A bbqs main difference is the BTUs which is how much heat it can generate and higher BTU bbqs can cook better and more through.

Smaller BTU bbqs are good for someone who just cooks things like hamburgers and hotdogs.

Cebby
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I didn't see any on Costco's site for $400. Got a link?

Cheese
07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Buy whatever Weber Genesis series you can afford.

My dad and two uncles have them, they are all stainless guts, warrantied burners and sweet.

I think my Dad's is a Genesis Silver B. Too bad you weren't looking earlier in the season, we saw some deals.

bigwapitijohnny
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I recommend that you buy it later, out of season :D...I bought my stainless steel grill (commercial series - CharBroil) at Lowe's for cheap. It was a dented floor model and they wanted to move it before the next grilling season. If you can hold out until then, you will save a ton.

Hope this helps,

BWJ

slosurfer
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Search Noob! :flipoff:
http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11519&SearchTerms=gas,grill

Robinhood4x4
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Nope, no link, they don't have it online. It looks nice though...not completely stainless as the sides are a nice hammered or powder coat.

Maybe I will wait...the wife wants me to wait because she's convinced there will be a coupon for it later.

Chris...I try to bring traffic to this site and what do you do? You link to some other forum... :shake:... :flipoff:
Thanks for the link...I was sort of looking for a bbq forum the other day.

So with that in mind, what features do I look for? There's ceramic this and stainless steel that...

bigwapitijohnny
07-04-2007, 08:58 AM
I was over at a friends house who had one of those grills with the infra-red cooking technology...that was sweet, however, I thought that the burgers, dogs tasted like mine using good ol propane. After he told me how much it cost, my wallet did notice a distinct aftertaste... :thumbup:. I would recommend that you buy a floor model on the cheap, then get a seperate dedicated smoker. I have done this, and it has been incredible. I usually smoke ribs, then touch them up on the grill :D. It is a great combination that will have your friends raving as you hone your BBQ skills.

Cebby
07-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Get as much stainless content as possible. Powdercoat and porcelain coated eventually rust from the juices getting splattered on them and baked in.

Check out the "Perfect Flame" brand at Lowes. They have a nice 50k btu with electronic ignition on sale for $359. I think it has some powdercoated steel in it (not visible from the outside), but not much - the majority of it is stainless including the cooking grates which is a big plus.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=242267-82210-463268107&lpage=none

If you want to bump up the budget a bit, go for the Jenn Air. I've had mine for a year and it is by far the best purchase I've made in a while. It was a "G" though.

EDIT: Oh and if you have natural gas in your house, pipe it to the grill. No more running out 1/2 way through anymore.

Cebby
07-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Ditto on the separate smoker. Get a Weber Charcoal smoker. I went through 2 other brands before getting my Weber - we always do a turkey at Thanksgiving plus other stuff throughout the year.