PDA

View Full Version : CEL and surge idle

yotalifer
07-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Even b4 i got my new engine in i was having some idling problems. Over the years the hoses
have dried out and caused some vacuum leaks. I have always been able to fix em until lately.
Ive replaced lots of hose but still the idle is high or surges when i apply the brake. Also the cel is on but engine is running great.

when i stipped the old motor i found that the tb, plenum and intake manifold were full of black goop. It appeared to be what ive always called blow by...from bad compression and leaky valves...which i had for sure. I cleaned all it all up as good.

yall think thats part of my problem?

running seafoam in the gas right now...hope it helps

slosurfer
07-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Have you pulled any codes to see why you have a CEL?

ChickenLover
07-03-2007, 09:36 PM
when i stipped the old motor i found that the tb, plenum and intake manifold were full of black goop.

I'm assuming you have a 3VZE..

If so, your black goop is caused by your PCV system. Oil gets spit into the system by both valve covers, then it gets baked on by your EGR system. In other words, the goop is normal. However, it can be minimized by using inline filters on your PCV hoses.

Your idle surge sounds like a vacuum issue to me. But like slosurfer said, pull the codes and we'll go from there.

MTL_4runner
07-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Here's how to pull the OBD I codes on your truck:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

yotalifer
07-05-2007, 07:08 AM
actually this is my 22re truck. If it was the pcv valve Ive replaced it but didnt know i should filter the lines. where do i need to place a filter? no havent pulled codes yet..been on the road too much. gonna do it today tho