PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning brake dust, on old wheels

Ric
07-04-2007, 04:26 PM
ok guys, i just scored [b]5 LC 80[b]wheels, they are in great shape, with 5 tires, that still have a decent amout of tread left.
My questions are,
1) What a great, brake dust cleaner ? in the inside, its "thick"
2) wheres a good wheel refinisher ? Im thinking about having the center painted Gunmetel Grey.

BTW, i picked up all 5 wheels and tires for $100 :clap:

Cebby
07-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I saw that deal - wished I was closer to score a deal like that...

Ric
07-04-2007, 04:44 PM
they are sweet, i did give them a quick cleaning, they look great now, but Id like to clean the back side. Ill have pics maybe next week, after there cleaned up, and mounted.
still thinking about having a "street set" and a "wheeling set" but i dont think ill like swapping tires every weekend. we wil see.

I couldnt pass that deal up.

waskillywabbit
07-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Degreaser and a pressure washer. :D

:guitar:

Ric
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
now why didnt i think of that :roll: :hillbill:

MTL_4runner
07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Degreaser and a pressure washer.

What he said.

Once you get em cleaned off, send them to Jeremy for sandblast & powdercoating.

Ric
07-04-2007, 09:57 PM
do i remember correct ? that the LC wheel caps will NOT fit our 4Runners ? just wondering before i go out and get them.

thankx guys.

Cebby
07-04-2007, 11:16 PM
No they won't fit. Send the wheels to me!!! j/k

Pretty sure they fit from all the pics I've seen with them on 3rd Gens.

MTL_4runner
07-05-2007, 05:38 AM
do i remember correct ? that the LC wheel caps will NOT fit our 4Runners ? just wondering before i go out and get them.

thankx guys.

These?

http://4rnr.net/red4runner/flex3.jpg

Bighead
07-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Ric, didn't you just buy some Ivan Stewart wheels? If so, whatever happened to those?

Ric
07-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Cebby,
darn it, well i geuss ill send them over :D

MTL_4runner,
mine have the solid spokes.

Bighead,
yes, Im running the Ivan Stewart wheels now, I got them on a trade.

Ric
07-05-2007, 06:14 PM
man,, that brake dust IS ON THERE took them to the car wash, with the req. degreaser, very little came off, then tried Brake Dust remover, again, little more came off.
I know these are the back of the wheels, but Id like to get them looking new, since the face of the wheels look so nice, and I have time before I swap out the MTs.

Lee
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
ric you should let the degreaser sit for a while, then reapply and let it sit again.

think about how long that brake dust has been on there!

Ric
07-05-2007, 08:16 PM
ric you should let the degreaser sit for a while, then reapply and let it sit again.

think about how long that brake dust has been on there!

very true, i thought about that when i was washin them, and I will do that.

slosurfer
07-05-2007, 08:47 PM
still thinking about having a "street set" and a "wheeling set" but i dont think ill like swapping tires every weekend. we wil see.

I did this for awhile when the 4runner was our only family car. It got old real quick, especially when I was wheeling a lot last summer. And that was no where near the amount of times you go wheeling.

MTL_4runner
07-06-2007, 05:58 AM
What about trying a heavy duty wheel cleaner like this?
http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10404

The other thing to try is soaking them in WD40 or PB Blaster overnight which softens the brake dust and allows the pressure washer to blast it off (garden hose wouldn't do much). You could also try some brake cleaner right after to see if that would work in combo with the penetrant and effectively degrease them. By far the best way to bring back neglected wheels is obviously to sandblast them if that is an option. Oven cleaner also works very well, but it can also do major damage to the wheels so I personally wouldn't risk it.

Ric
07-06-2007, 09:02 AM

I did this for awhile when the 4runner was our only family car. It got old real quick, especially when I was wheeling a lot last summer. And that was no where near the amount of times you go wheeling.

yea, Im pretty much over that idea, lol.. Ive been thinking, it would get old, fast.

d0ubledown
07-07-2007, 09:55 AM
nice score ric! yes the LC caps will fit the runners. if its just the insides of the wheels...why not just give em a sand down & spray bomb it? doesnt need to be meticulous...since it wont be seen much anyway. if it were the outside...i'd take em to get refinished since you only paid $100...bastid! LOL

Ric
07-07-2007, 10:10 AM
nice score ric! yes the LC caps will fit the runners. if its just the insides of the wheels...why not just give em a sand down & spray bomb it? doesnt need to be meticulous...since it wont be seen much anyway. if it were the outside...i'd take em to get refinished since you only paid $100...bastid! LOL

yea, they really (the backsides) really are good enough to mount now.. Ill mount them probley next week, after the boys go back to KC :(

slosurfer
07-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Have you tried CLR? Might be worth a shot.

reggie 00
07-07-2007, 10:42 AM
PD-680. (dry cleaning solvent)

That stuff would go thru a lot of stuff. used it to clean all the parts on my gun in the Navy.

CJM
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Oven cleaner will do it, if it east oven grime and paint it will eat that stuff right off. Put a plastic trashbag on anything you dont want to degrease it will eat through anything it touches.