PDA

View Full Version : Inner fender coating/sealant

AxleIke
07-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I am currently designing a radical rear fender change at the end of the summer/begining of fall for my rust pile. My question is this: what is out there for good sealant/fender coating, that is flexable enough to move with the metal, but can seal the inner part of the fender where it will be taking all the glory of colorado road salt, gravel, etc...?

I'm looking at using the new smooth duraback for the entire body, and on the new fenders, but inside i want it to be sealed. or will the duraback be my best bet everywhere?

surf4runner
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
i have not had it on the road yet, but for another vehicle i used the dupli-color rubberized undercoat where the fender had gaps and inside on the floors.

simple & cheap, but have heard mixed results about it...

AxleIke
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
okay...i'll look into that. Basically it will be inside the fender, sort of, and it needs to seal tight, not look great. Thanks.

waskillywabbit
07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
When I trimmed out my fenders I used body seam sealer, Rustoleum primer, black paint and then the 3M rubber undercoating. Looks factory and tough as nails.

:guitar:

all_terrain17
07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Had bad luck with Duplicolor's undercoat. Found most of it had fallen off within a few months...

BruceTS
07-07-2007, 10:12 PM
the problem with the rubberized undercoating is water eventually gets underneath it and rust forms.... I just use the Duplicolor bedliner spray, but if you want something really tough, get it line-X'ed or rino'ed....

AxleIke
07-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Sweet, Thanks for the replies.

I will continue to look into this.