PDA

View Full Version : What should i do about beefing up my 4runner??

strongasanoxx
07-05-2007, 10:21 AM
So I finaly decided to keep my 4runner!! I just got my new tires put on... 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/T's... They look awesome... Now im looking to lift my truck about 2" .... How should I do i9t? Im looking to go fairly inexpensive if at all possible. Are the suspension spacers worth it? Also i was looking into some wheel spacers... like 2"... Are they any good?? Please let me know what you think and about how much im looking at spending.. I dont do any serious off roading, but 2 or 3 times a week i go tooling around in some mud pits with my friend and his jeep. I want the truck to look very aggressive but still be everyday drivealbe.. What are your opinions on things ii should do.. Brands to use.. Brands to stay away from.Everything I need to know about beefing up my truck. Thanks again for your help!

Chad

Lee
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
chad, did you fix the issues you have mechanically yet? if not, dont waste your money on a lift. if you mean a lift for after you fix your mechanical issues, then your cheapest route is indeed spacers. that will firm up the ride some, but not too bad.

if you dont plan to wheel much, thats the route to go. if you think youll need new springs soon, go OME rear springs and something like cornfed spacers up front.

stay away from wheel spacers, imo.

strongasanoxx
07-05-2007, 12:23 PM
im talking about after i get the vsc and trac issues fixed. as far as that goes, im going to replace obth the front and rear o2 sensors, im thinking that will help.. And i also replaced the fuel filter last week, and also got tyhe new tires. So im on my way... Where would i get the best deal on the ome rear shocks?

AxleIke
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
forget wheel spacers. They are a bandaid for keeping wheels out of leaf springs on cheapo swaps. For IFS, just get out the BFH if you are rubbing at all.

Sounds like your level of wheeling is mild enough that spacers will be fine.

As for beef, you can look to a new front bumper. Its practical for the wheeling you do to have a winch capable set up. ARB TJM, and other custom fab shops put out some nice units for your rig. For mud sliders are pretty useless, wouldn't get those. A winch is definetly useful.

strongasanoxx
07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
so i ran acrosse this on ebaymotors.com... what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-COMP-POLY-SPACER-2-5-LIFT-KIT-96-02-TOYOTA-4RUNNER_W0QQitemZ130129848613QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33 585QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good Times
07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
If you're going to buy stuff, I would recommend you purchase from one of our fine vendors that support us:
Sonoran Steel
Burtman Industries

Sonoran Steel specializes in 3rd gen suspension lifts of varying settings so check them out:
http://sonoransteel.com/store_complete_liftkits.html

If you really want to cut corners and go cheap, go with one of our vendors: http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=4run_96_02_liftkit

You can't go wrong with selecting either vendor for your aftermarket needs.

good luck

MTL_4runner
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
im talking about after i get the vsc and trac issues fixed. as far as that goes, im going to replace obth the front and rear o2 sensors, im thinking that will help.. And i also replaced the fuel filter last week, and also got tyhe new tires. So im on my way... Where would i get the best deal on the ome rear shocks?

Chad, just do the front sensor because that is the one causing the code (your VSC, TRAC & CEL issue)....put the money you would have spent on the rear one towards your lift. There are a ton of options for a lift, but if you want a mild lift then you can go the all OME route like I did (about 1-2" over stock) or for more lift go with a Sonoran Steel lift "system 7.1" which is a rock solid setup and has been offroad tested by countless members. If you don't want to spend the money for a higher end lift then there is always the spacer option, but keep in mind the stock springs continue to sag over time so factor that into your decision too.

Dillon
07-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Do you have any rubbing with the 265/75's, as some other people have found with the 2001-02 4Runners with stock suspension?

Jason B
09-02-2007, 07:45 AM
I've sold many of these kits:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=4run_96_02_liftkit

And they work well. If you don't want to replace your springs/shocks, etc, this is a great alternative. I also sell full OME setups, but it's triple the price.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/images/prodimages/4run_cornf_96_02.jpg

onesojourner
09-03-2007, 08:17 AM
I have talked to a few people with the 7.1 and it sounds like the way to go for a good solid mild lift that should last the life of the truck.

TMR
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
2X on supporting those that help us, and 2X on any of the sonoran kits. It's always a great idea to replace toyota parts with other toyota parts wherever possible. My .02.