PDA

View Full Version : BR-3 Log File Request

TrackRunner
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Can anybody, supercharged or not, send me one of their BR-3 log files? My truck almost never gets into Open Loop mode, and I'm hoping that by comparing log files, I can spot a trouble area that may be affecting what the ECU is seeing. tia.

MTL_4runner
07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Do you have any CELs or anything else which might indicate an issue?

The truck should be operating in closed loop most of the time except for at startup when the O2 sensor is cold.

TrackRunner
07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't have any CELs, I'm just going off of what I'm seeing with my LM-1 and BR-3.

I was under the impression that if I go WOT that I should see Open Loop pretty quickly. I find that even with the pedal to the metal, I will not get into Open Loop operation until I am almost red lined in second gear. Unfortunately that means I'm boosting at around 7 PSI almost all the way to third gear with a consistent 14.7:1 AFR :yikes:

MTL_4runner
07-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I saw you had another thread going on the subject as well and that you had talked with gadget and he mentioned it may be your throttle body causing the issue. Did he mention something in particular that might have gone wrong with it? or just that it might be a culprit?

I don't have a BR-3 yet, so unfortunately I can't post a log file myself and help you with that part, but if you wanted to post yours up I'd be happy to have a look and see if I notice anything odd. Same thing goes with the LM-1 file if you can post that too. Luckily keeping an AFR of 14.7 won't kill your motor, but it sure won't help you in the power department either.

It also seems a bit odd you're not getting the full 9-10 psi of boost since LA is pretty near sea level. That might be another hint in the puzzle but it's hard to say at this point.

TrackRunner
07-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I saw you had another thread going on the subject as well and that you had talked with gadget and he mentioned it may be your throttle body causing the issue. Did he mention something in particular that might have gone wrong with it? or just that it might be a culprit?

He said it might be a culprit. He suggested swapping it out, but I don't know anyone else with a 3rd gen.

I don't have a BR-3 yet, so unfortunately I can't post a log file myself and help you with that part, but if you wanted to post yours up I'd be happy to have a look and see if I notice anything odd.

Thank you. I will post it up tomorrow when I get to work.

mastacox
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I could post a log file, but I'm not sure if it would be any help... I do hit open-loop at about 80% throttle though.

MTL_4runner
07-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Brian, it might be helpful if you'd be willing to post one too so we can have many sets of eyes comparing the two flies.

TrackRunner
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Well I charged up my laptop last night, but I think my lady got to it while I was sleeping because when I booted her up this morning to log a few runs, the battery was just about done. I will get those logs posted up tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the help.

Also, on a side note, I noticed Brian said he usually hits Open Loop around 80% throttle. I've read that most people get into Open Loop around 80% as well. That lead me to believe that something was wrong with something :headscratch: and that's why my ECU doesn't see more than a 75% deflection, hence not being able to get into Open Loop very often. After reading around though, it looks like as long as the TPS is registering between 10%-75% that everything is within spec. So now I'm trying to figure out what other areas I need to look at, since Open Loop is determined by a few things. Any thoughts on what I could test next would be greatly appreciated. I will be cleaning the MAF next week, I thought that might be a possible culprit. -Jon

MTL_4runner
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Jon, if you have someone manually move the throttle in the engine bay to fully open, what is the highest percent reading you see on the throttle? Is there any difference between using the pedal or moving it manually in the engine bay?

TrackRunner
07-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Jon, if you have someone manually move the throttle in the engine bay to fully open, what is the highest percent reading you see on the throttle? Is there any difference between using the pedal or moving it manually in the engine bay?

So far I have only had someone manually turn the part that the throttle cable wraps around (not the actual butterfly) and that registered 75% fully open. Same goes for the pedal when floored (75%).

MTL_4runner
07-06-2007, 01:15 PM
So far I have only had someone manually turn the part that the throttle cable wraps around (not the actual butterfly) and that registered 75% fully open. Same goes for the pedal when floored (75%).

Ok, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple like the throttle cable being too slack.
You might need to look into getting a used throttle body to try swapping (sell it on ebay if that doesn't solve it).

TrackRunner
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, I'm definitely feeling a bit foolish. I hadn't reset my trucks ECU in quite some time, so I reset it this morning before my drive to work (and before I logged any runs). You will see in the log file that I've attached that after resetting the ECU, my truck is seeing Open Loop much more often. I have to ask though, how come resetting the ECU makes such a difference with Open and Closed loop operation? I can attach another log file that was captured a few weeks ago, and you will see that Open Loop operation almost never happens. strange.. :headscratch:

Edit: You can download the software to view the log files here: http://www.obddiagnostics.com/ProgWin.html

MTL_4runner
07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I've seen pulling the negative battery terminal solve quite a few things so I'm never surprised when that works. A while back I remember someone upgrading their valve body and it refused to shift properly (even pulling the EFI fuse did nothing) until the ECU was completely reset. I'd also suggest you clean your MAF if you haven't lately (and be sure to reset the ECU after too).