PDA

View Full Version : 85 build

whitwido85
07-07-2007, 08:43 PM
OK guys here we go I'm going to try and build a quad cab Toyota from my 85 i will post picks as soon as i get the rest of my parts to start the build. I will post some before pics of my truck before i start to cut it up and try to keep updating. Don't be afraid to voice your opinions it is not going to hurt my feelings any. thanks again

:chair: :chair: :chair:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Paul

slosurfer
07-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Looking forward to watching this one. Sounds like a cool project.

Oh, and welcome to UY. :thumbup:

all_terrain17
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
so don't be afraid to voice your opinions it is not going to hurt my feelings

You must be related to a member here named Elton. Seriously, go back and ask yourself if that was easy to read - don't be afraid of the period or comma key.

Otherwise, looking forward to the build!

all_terrain17
07-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Just jankin ya man. :D

whitwido85
07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
O NO ITS COOL I READ IT A SECOND TIME AND FOUND SOME ERRORS THAT I HAD TO FIX. THANKS FOR POINTING IT OUT EVEN THOUGH YOU WAS JUST JERKING MY CHAIN.

Intrepidyota
07-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Ok, first question, for the amount of fab work it is going to take, why not just buy a 1st gen 4runner and drop the body onto your current frame? You get your 4 seater, plus the convenience of the removable top.

whitwido85
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
well i have took that into thought but my budget is real tight like all the parts i have got was free to me and they are getting delived to my front door if i had a good size budget for this type of build then i would definitly by a runner body and put on my frame but like i said money issue is the big deal i have right now so

EWAYota
07-14-2007, 08:57 AM
cleaned it up a bit for you. punctuation is a good thing.

well i have taken that into consideration but my budget is real tight. All the parts I have gotten were free to me and they are getting delivered to my front door. If i had a good size budget for this type of build then i would definitely buy a runner body and put it on my frame, but like i said, money is a issue.

Bob98SR5
07-14-2007, 09:14 AM
easy fellas!

hey, looking fwd to seeing your build! i understand the "i have it in my hands, so im gonna work with it" philosophy. its all known as being a cheap ass :hillbill: in a good way, of course :D

good luck and post pics!

bob

EWAYota
07-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm looking into taking my 94, cutting the back out of the cab out and putting a canopy on it (minus the front), more along the lines of a trekker. I'll end up sealing up the bottom and sides of the bed. With the top of the canopy and the cab, I'll either make is a snug fit or have a overlapping piece of rubber seal to close that gap. Then my biggest concern will be mounting a rear seat or leaving it open for storage.

whitwido85
07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
ya i think I'm going to deviate from the plan I'm just going to put a seat from a cj5 or some kinda small jeep for the rear and now I'm just going to make a removable hard top for the back of the truck using the bed and make it a uni-cab so it is more like a runner but with allot less work then i was going to do i have looked it over and seen it to be a little more easy for me to do on this budget

Intrepidyota
07-17-2007, 05:24 AM
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "make a removable hard top using the bed and make a uni-cab"...Also, what is your budget on this? I hate to beat a dead horse, but have you looked into the cost of a 4runner body? I have had a couple opportunities up here for non rusted out bodies for $200 or less. I don't have the space to keep one, but I keep an eye out just in case I ever roll and crush my cab. :laugh: I bet you could find one relatively cheap, especially if you pull it yourself... Anyway, if you let us in on your target budget, we might be able to offer better advice.

*edit- Just noticed your post in the garage about how the back of the cab is cut out...um...it looks like other than a seat, the work is done for you and the camper top is removable...so I REALLY don't have a clue what you are trying to acheive.

EWAYota
07-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Intrepid,

Think Trekker. Thats basically whats happening. He'll have the back of the cab cut out so it'll be open to the bed. Throw a canopy on it and the bed is covered like a 4runner. Small seat in the back for passengers. You can take the top off, or leave it on.

Whit, Unibod is wrong though unless you plan on welding the bottom and sides of the cab to the bed to seal up the gap, but I've been pondering that idea for when I do mine. The only concern I have is how much flex there will be between the cab and the bed, causing any torque onto the sheet metal that you've used for covering the gap.

dropzone
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Eway-let me know what you end up for a seal on your project. My '81 Trekker leaks a little bit between the cab/canopy. I am looking to try to make a lip/seal similar to a 1st Gen 4Runner. There is a fair amount of cab/bed flex on mine.

jimbo74
07-25-2007, 04:15 PM
recently i have seen quite a few 4runner tubs for sale, i would jsut buy one of those and mount it to your frame

Intrepidyota
07-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Intrepid,

Think Trekker. Thats basically whats happening. He'll have the back of the cab cut out so it'll be open to the bed. Throw a canopy on it and the bed is covered like a 4runner. Small seat in the back for passengers. You can take the top off, or leave it on.

Whit, Unibod is wrong though unless you plan on welding the bottom and sides of the cab to the bed to seal up the gap, but I've been pondering that idea for when I do mine. The only concern I have is how much flex there will be between the cab and the bed, causing any torque onto the sheet metal that you've used for covering the gap.

I understand the concept, but if he already has a cap and someone already cut out the back of the cab...then what does he need to do? He already has a semi-trekker. :D

whitwido85
07-28-2007, 11:12 PM
only problem is i found an 86 4runner complete for 500 minus the steering box and ac stuff but i was told the bodies dont fit on my chassis if they fit let me know please i would love to put the runner on there suc i all ready have a solid axle front end

Intrepidyota
08-02-2007, 09:52 AM
If it will help you I could measure my 4runner and give you some measurement for where the body mounts are, you can always move body mounts on the frame if necessary.