PDA

View Full Version : Tire sidewall question. Got some damage.

xonetruthcrewx
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, i tore a sidewall a bit on this recent trip. Didnt tear enough that it leaks air but im just not sure about it. The tire is a REVO. 2 ply sidewalls. Looks like i only tore through the outer ply. Question is, Is it ok to run like this? Is the outer ply meant for protection and its not structurally important? I would just rotate it to the spare, but my spare is a non matching Kumho. Saved a 100 bucks by going with the Kumho instead of a matching REVO. Yeah, im a cheap bastard. Errrrr. What do you guys think?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0005-2.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/xonetruthcrewx/IMG_0003-7.jpg

CJM
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I wouldnt dare ride on that, rest of it could give way under stress and you get a blow out. Get a new tire.

reggie 00
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I wouldnt dare ride on that, rest of it could give way under stress and you get a blow out. Get a new tire.

X2

AxleIke
07-08-2007, 09:56 PM
yeah, thats pretty risky. Its a pretty deep tear.

I hate sidewall damage. You simply get screwed with your pants on everyway you look at it, especially if it is a new tire.

Good luck.

xonetruthcrewx
07-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Alright, going to order a new one now. Spare will go on tomorrow. Damn tire only has like 6k miles on it. Should have bought the tire protection plan. Errrrr.

drguitarum2005
07-08-2007, 10:39 PM
good call getting a new one, i wouldnt risk my life on that tire at all.

all_terrain17
07-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Had some sidewall cuts like that on my 3-Ply wheelin set for many months now. If it was prone to failure, figured it would do so from repeated abuse, not street wear. Luckily I will be moving into another set soon.

Cebby
07-09-2007, 01:34 AM
I have had some chunks out of my sidewall before and kept on driving them uneventfully. Those cuts in the pics are much deeper than what I experienced and I agree that getting new is definitely in your best interests. :D

xonetruthcrewx
07-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Just ordered another one from tireack. 200 bucks. Trip cost more than i though. Haha. Oh well, thats the price we pay.

MTL_4runner
07-09-2007, 05:42 AM
I'd just switch that one to your spare. It's definately not safe to drive on as a DD but as a spare it should be ok. It is a deep cut, but it doesn't look to have hit any of the sidewall plies (once those show any damage, send the tire for recycling).....at least from your pic anyway. The one thing I would do right away if you wanted to keep the tire is to use some self-vulcanizing cement (available at any bicycle shop) to seal the cut from outside contamination. You do this by deflating the tire, open the cut, spray with compressed air to remove all debris and then work the cement in as deep as possible. When that's done you wipe off the excess and allow to dry overnight. The next day you can reinflate the tire and it should at least hold the cut closed (although it won't do much for the structural inegrity of the tire). Of course the sure fire way to solve it is to just buy another tire.

xonetruthcrewx
07-09-2007, 02:24 PM
^^^^^^
Right On. That was the answer i was looking for from the beginning. I pretty much decided to do exactly what you said. This tire is going as the spare. The non matching Kumho spare i have now will come off and sit in a corner somewhere. I ordered a new REVO this morning and that will go on the car. I will then have a matching REVO for the spare. I already have the cement and i was planning on doing exactly what you said about sealing it up.

As for the tire with the gash. Only the outer ply was damaged. One cord is showing but has no damage to it. As far as i'm concerned the structural integrity of the tire has not been compromised and is good to go for a spare. The tire has been put to the test also. I found the damaged tire when airing up this weekend. I then drove about 25 miles on pavement and then another 30 or so miles on dirt. Some of it i was aired down to 25psi and doing some rock crawling, some high speed rocky road driving etc.. I even accidentally jumped the truck off a whoopty do (or whoopty dont if you will) at about 40 mph. It was the harshest thing i have ever gone through in the rig. All of the suspension completely bottomed out, including the front with the Tundra setup which is stiff as hell. I then drove home on pavement which was about 100 miles at freeway speeds. I think the tire is definitely structurally fine. It is going as a spare though, just in case.

Ok, that was long. Thats it.