PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of Old Fluids

garrett
07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
In the next few weeks I will be doing the equivalent of a 30K mile service. I know where to take motor oil and filters, but what about old coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid? Would most places take all of these?

Elton
07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
could ask the auto parts stores

Bob98SR5
07-11-2007, 12:15 AM
garrett,

http://earth911.org/

bada boom! :D

bob

habanero
07-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Jiffy Lube. Surprisingly, the one I go to is always friendly and never tries to sell me something.

Cool website, bob. :)

Bighead
07-11-2007, 05:35 AM
The local Autozone takes all my old vehicle fluids.

MTL_4runner
07-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Most of the time if a store sells it, they'll take it back.
Walmart (or large chain stores) are sometimes the exception to this (depends on the state's regulations)

You can also call your local landfill or municipality to ask where to dispose of them properly.

garrett
07-11-2007, 06:49 AM
bob,

i checked that site (found it on your website) but all the places i found in my area didnt really specify what types they take.

as for the local landfill, thats where i take my oil and filters. they have a huge drum that i just drive up and pour it into, but i've never seen other containers for different fluids.

i'll ask a nearby autozone if they will take it.

MTL_4runner
07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
as for the local landfill, thats where i take my oil and filters. they have a huge drum that i just drive up and pour it into, but i've never seen other containers for different fluids.

If you have a landfill then someone is responsible for it and those are the people you need to call to find out where the other wastes go. Could be a municipality, lanfill authority or a private company, but either way they should know.

AxleIke
07-11-2007, 07:42 AM
storm drain :D

J/K Take it to Autozone or Pepboys.

EWAYota
07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I'd call your landfill. Few years back I had found a old bucket filled with some nasty coolant/oil thing. Called up my landfill and they have a place they dispose of it at.

I tried taking it to Jiffy Lube and they wouldn't take it, nor would my local auto parts shop.

Oil I take to the auto shop, everything else goes to the landfill.

MTL_4runner
07-12-2007, 06:47 PM
The garages won't take witch's brews because they get charged extra if the fluids being recycled are "contaminated" and need to be disposed of as hazzardous waste. So most of the time they'll just refuse stuff if they don't know what's in it for sure.

The vast majority of landfills already have programs to deal with hazzardous wastes and usually have certian times throughout the year they'll accept "unknown substances" and other harsh chemicals for disposal. Most of these programs are paid for by the municipality (those are your tax dollars at work so take advantage of it).

waskillywabbit
07-14-2007, 06:44 AM
My local Toyota dealership takes all my old fluids.

:guitar:

Paul H.
07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Local recycling center takes my oil and filters.

mkgarrison5
07-16-2007, 05:49 AM
what about putting the old fluid back in the bottles and throwing them away?? do any of you do this? i dont but my dad does lol. i know i know..

Seanz0rz
07-16-2007, 05:57 AM
what about putting the old fluid back in the bottles and throwing them away?? do any of you do this? i dont but my dad does lol. i know i know..

this is a very irresponsible way of disposal. please kids, dont do this.

as for me, i take them to the city dump days (we have city trash service, for those with private trash, im not sure) once a month or so they offer a weekend when you can dump anything you want for free. weve taken old mattresses, appliances, tires, and many gallons of antifreeze, transmission fluid, engine oil, etc.

MTL_4runner
07-16-2007, 06:12 AM

Mk, you need to convert your dad, that's about one rung up from pouring it down the toilet. :tapedshut:
Just tell him to save the bottles and bring them to the HHW day at the landfill like Seanz0rz mentioned.

mkgarrison5
07-16-2007, 11:22 AM

this is a very irresponsible way of disposal. please kids, dont do this.

as for me, i take them to the city dump days (we have city trash service, for those with private trash, im not sure) once a month or so they offer a weekend when you can dump anything you want for free. weve taken old mattresses, appliances, tires, and many gallons of antifreeze, transmission fluid, engine oil, etc.

where do you dump your fluids at the dump?? do they have canisters to dump them in? i take my stuff to advance auto

mkgarrison5
07-16-2007, 11:23 AM
mtl, i am trying to convert him. hell he used to dump it on the ground behind the shed till i rode his butt about how he can polute their drinking water and etc.. if i have to ill take the stuff for him.

MTL_4runner
07-16-2007, 11:44 AM
mtl, i am trying to convert him. hell he used to dump it on the ground behind the shed till i rode his butt about how he can polute their drinking water and etc.. if i have to ill take the stuff for him.

I don't mean to give you a hard time....I'm clearly praching to the choir on that issue anyway. :D

mkgarrison5
07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
no issue at all i know its bad..