PDA

View Full Version : Engine Died in Reverse..Please Help

DSN46
07-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Hey Guys,

I have heard of this happening before to a couple of others, but no one ever came up with a solution (that they bothered to post anyway)...

Problem: Backing up a slight incline (my driveway) with an empty trailer. Stop Runner, get out, unhook trailer and set it on its leg.... start walking back toward driver's door.... engine s-l-o-w-l-y sputters a little and then just dies. No "chugging" or anything violent sounding.

When I got back in and turned the key, she started right back up within 2 cranks of the engine. So what could have caused this? I am afraid that this is the just the first of many more to come.... am I over-reacting? I just know that it has never died on me before today, in ANY situation or position, so now I'm all nervous. :(

Thank you for any help you can provide.

James

Lee
07-11-2007, 03:33 AM
fuel pump, injectors, etc?

what level was your tank at?

DSN46
07-11-2007, 04:07 AM
WOW!! You're up early! I was just gonna get back on here and add that the tank is above 3/4 full.
Also, I changed the fuel filter 3000 miles ago. As for the injectors themselves? Unsure... never had a misfire or any kind of problem with fuel or spark. (Brand new plugs and wires also).

Thanks!! :)

James

Lee
07-11-2007, 04:29 AM
its not THAT early on the east coast!

you can try running some injector cleaner through your tank. pick up some at autozone, its prob a good idea to do anyway even if it isnt your issue. i run a bottle through once every other month. to be honest i have no idea if it actually works :laugh:

i would look into the fuel pump being an issue too :headscratch:

Lee
07-11-2007, 04:31 AM
oh and the dealership can test the fuel pump with their DLC3 device.

MTL_4runner
07-11-2007, 06:11 AM
That's pretty odd to say the least and it's hard to know if it was the incline causing the issue or just that the problem picked that particular situation to surface. One thought was you might have had water in the gas. I'll have to think some more about the possibilities on that for you.

Euphorickaty80
07-11-2007, 06:21 AM
try the gas cap.....that happened to our old runner and it was the gas cap wasnt "breathing" correctly and was vapor locking.

DSN46
07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the replies folks! :D

I don't think there's water in the tank, but possible.
Great suggestions on having the dealer check out my fuel pump, I have a good friend who's a 13 year mechanic at the Yota dealer.... he'll test it and wont LIE to me about to sell me a fuel pump.

I will also try the gas cap idea... it never occurred to me. :headscratch: That's why I asked, you guys know your Runners!

Any other ideas are appreciated. I'll check fuel pump and replace gas cap and let you know if it happens again. I tried to repeat the instance (hooked up my trailer and backed into the same spot) but it ran like a champ as usual... maybe it was a fluke?
Like I said earlier, whenever something strange bears its head at me on my 4X4's, it usually means there is something bigger lurking under the surface.

Sincerely,

James